LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 302 Old 06-30-2015, 06:48 PM
USN_BlackWK
FLY NAVY

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
USN_BlackWK,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with 4WD. Just to clarify, back in May did your 4low operate properly when the “Service 4WD” indicator was illuminated, or was that an intermittent concern?

Thank you,
Yes. After having P73 done the "service 4wd" message appeared upon starting the Jeep for the first time leaving the dealer but the 4low did work. I figured the message just may take a few start cycles to go away. Unfortunately it is still there and the low range no longer works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
1998 Cherokee Classic 4.0L Aug '15 COTM!
2017 Shelby GT350 5.2L Voodoo powered
2019 Ram 1500 Limited 5.7L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 302 Old 07-01-2015, 12:04 AM
vjsimone
2008 XK Commander 

Fuse trick.....

Vincent

99 XJ Limited, 95 YJ, 93 ZJ Grand Wagoneer, 88 Grand Wagoneer,
88 MJ Comanche, 61 Willys Wagon
post #63 of 302 Old 07-01-2015, 12:19 PM
USN_BlackWK
FLY NAVY

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsimone View Post
Fuse trick.....
more info!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

post #64 of 302 Old 07-01-2015, 02:04 PM
bersh
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI35 View Post
for the ignition, FCA has the 40 bucks part on backorder since the start of the recall, so no intention whatsoever on doing that from them.
But unlike FCA, we are an awesome global jeep owners community and if you buy the part, there is this youtube video on how to change it by yourself. But again, try to stay away from this recall if you don't have any symptoms like your jeep stalling in the middle of the highway at 60+ mph.
the Andrea group of FCA is just BSing everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA0pdG_-iEA
We get it, you're unhappy. If you're so upset sell your Jeep and stop whining here and slamming the person that is doing her best to help. It's not even FCA's original problem, it's Daimler's. FCA is just trying to clean up the mess. If you want to whine, find the engineer that designed the original switch.

They haven't addressed the recall yet because they are in the process of redesigning the ignition switch, not because they have a $40 part on backorder. If you want to replace the part with an identical one that can fail, so be it, but there is a lot more to that particular recall than FCA simply refusing to install replacement ignition switches.
post #65 of 302 Old 07-01-2015, 04:18 PM
SSF556

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bersh
We get it, you're unhappy. If you're so upset sell your Jeep and stop whining here and slamming the person that is doing her best to help. It's not even FCA's original problem, it's Daimler's. FCA is just trying to clean up the mess. If you want to whine, find the engineer that designed the original switch. They haven't addressed the recall yet because they are in the process of redesigning the ignition switch, not because they have a $40 part on backorder. If you want to replace the part with an identical one that can fail, so be it, but there is a lot more to that particular recall than FCA simply refusing to install replacement ignition switches.
I agree with Hemi...this recall has been an utter joke and my gut told me to stay far far away from it.....and yes this is FCA issue...when you buy a company you get the good, the bad and the ugly.....

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
post #66 of 302 Old 07-02-2015, 11:15 AM
vjsimone
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN_BlackWK View Post
more info!
Pull the fuse for the Final Drive Control Module (FDCM), Start your engine, Shut it down, Replace the fuse. (06=07 fuse 25 /2008-10, fuse 33)

Some say they had to drive forward, or backward a few feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsh3t1Hdf6U

Vincent

99 XJ Limited, 95 YJ, 93 ZJ Grand Wagoneer, 88 Grand Wagoneer,
88 MJ Comanche, 61 Willys Wagon
post #67 of 302 Old 07-02-2015, 12:06 PM
suzq044
2005 WK 

We had ours done the other day. 4low is operational, since that was the only issue we've had, we're happy.

Those of you complaining about the ignition switch thing must have forgotten how large that recall was. It's the very same part that GM recalled on just about every vehicle they make. It is a supplier problem. If you think they are trying to intentionally put off a recall and open themselves to lawsuits, then you guys have less common sense than I thought.
post #68 of 302 Old 07-02-2015, 01:28 PM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Feds: Fiat Chrysler Misled Safety Regulators, Failed At Recalls

http://jalopnik.com/feds-fiat-chrysl...-at-1715442512

A public whipping is indeed what Fiat Chrysler is getting at a public hearing in Washington D.C. today, where officials from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration accused the automaker of violating safety laws and misleading them about recalls.

The Detroit News’ David Shepardson reports that NHTSA claims Fiat Chrysler has “sweeping problems” with recalls in just about every way: notifying owners, ensuring replacement parts are available, recalling vehicles in a timely fashion, and actually fixing the problems once the cars are recalled. Ouch.

Sadly, the public hearing isn’t being livestreamed, so we’re relegated to following it on Twitter and dispatches from reporters who are there. Here’s what the News said:

NHTSA’s Scott Yon, chief of the vehicle integrity, said other automakers don’t act like Fiat Chrysler. The company takes a long time to produce repair parts, owners have trouble getting repairs and the remedies sometime don’t work. “Except in extraordinary circumstances, no owner of a car or truck with a safety defect should have to wait for years to get the remedy repair completed,” Yon said at the hearing.
Emphasis mine, because ouch again. Also:

The newest recall is Fiat Chrysler’s May recall of 1,771 4500 and 5500 Ram trucks to correct a defect that allows the vehicle to exceed the speed rating of its tires. Affected vehicles have a maximum governed speed of 106 mph, but are fitted with tires that are only rated for a maximum speed of 87 mph.

Yon said Fiat Chrysler waited for months before selecting a supplier to produce trailer hitch assemblies after it had agreed in 2013 to recall 1.56 million SUVs for gas tank fire risks.
NHTSA says the company also misled them about their Takata recalls and didn’t notify owners of problems about those for months.

The hearing is ongoing as of this writing, with Fiat Chrysler presenting their side. If found to be at fault by the end of the hearing, and they probably will be, the automaker could face millions of dollars in fines, federal oversight or be subjected to buybacks.

And as I said in The Morning Shift today, what we’re seeing is likely the new face of NHTSA — one that seeks to put automakers under the sword more forcefully and more forcefully as they attempt to convince a skeptical public (and a skeptical Congress) that they aren’t totally incompetent.

More on this as we get it.
post #69 of 302 Old 07-02-2015, 03:10 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Just as we've thought all along. The one I feel sorry for here is Andrea. She has been thrown to the wolves by FCA as a sacrificial lamb in hopes of placating angry forum members. The others I feel sorry for are those Jeep owners that are not forum members and are fighting this battle on their own with no support, or are clueless that there is a wave of discontent among other Jeep owners. I still say that if they had taken just a fraction of the money they spent sending out inaccurate, misleading recall/customer satifaction notices and applied it to fixing our vehicles, the problems would have been resolved long ago.

A big thanks to CavallinoRed for posting this.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #70 of 302 Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 PM
HEMI35
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bersh View Post
We get it, you're unhappy. If you're so upset sell your Jeep and stop whining here and slamming the person that is doing her best to help. It's not even FCA's original problem, it's Daimler's. FCA is just trying to clean up the mess. If you want to whine, find the engineer that designed the original switch.

They haven't addressed the recall yet because they are in the process of redesigning the ignition switch, not because they have a $40 part on backorder. If you want to replace the part with an identical one that can fail, so be it, but there is a lot more to that particular recall than FCA simply refusing to install replacement ignition switches.
the redesigned ignition switch IS available, you can buy it from most vendors.
I am recall free and happy, in fact, I would buy another WK because I know how to fix it and what I need to buy to fix it. I am complaining because, as you may know, dealers charge between 1 to 2 thousand dollars for fixing this 4lo problem. Before barking things, you should read the really long n23 thread right in this forum, and realize that most of this is FCA BS; in fact, let's do something, I invite you to go to the thread and tell the members to quit whining and sell their jeeps...

HEMI35
post #71 of 302 Old 07-02-2015, 05:55 PM
scootter82
2009 WK 

How much harder would it have been to just replace the faulty circuit board that is prone to cracking, rather than spending the time to code and recode the controllers software? I want the faulty hardware to be replaced! Not just a software workaround for when the board does fail...

OME HD, JBA UCA, Rear Adj TB, Catch Can, K&N CAI, Gibson CB, MM TB, Flaspaq, Full LED swap
post #72 of 302 Old 07-03-2015, 07:45 AM
USN_BlackWK
FLY NAVY

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootter82 View Post
How much harder would it have been to just replace the faulty circuit board that is prone to cracking, rather than spending the time to code and recode the controllers software? I want the faulty hardware to be replaced! Not just a software workaround for when the board does fail...
Yes, exactly. What happens if I just order a new FDCM from the dealer? At this point I'd gladly pay the what $300? out of pocket to get it working again. Are the new FDCM's already flashed? Will a new FDCM swap right in and work or will I still be chasing this error? The "service 4wd" message wasn't that big of a deal during my daily commute but now that I'm minutes away from some of the best wheeling in the country I'm a little angry that my low range isn't functioning due to something that should have been resolved years ago...

Sold
post #73 of 302 Old 07-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Jtav2012
2005 WK 

There's no way they would sell you an un-flashed AKA dangerous FDCM.

I wonder if I can get them to pay for my $100 junkyard FDCM, though...

Not-stock 2005 5.7L WK
post #74 of 302 Old 07-03-2015, 12:46 PM
GermantownJeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd recommend working with JeepCares to get the P73 done correctly and a new actuator if necessary.

That being said, I have an Unflashed QDII FDCM in the classifieds. 199AN.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-fdcm-3283649/

1995 Wrangler Rio Grande: RE 4.5" Lift, 33" MT/R's
2010 Grand Cherokee Limited: Hemi, QD II, 30" Nitto Terra Grapplers
post #75 of 302 Old 07-03-2015, 08:19 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

Their performance on recalls is atrocious.
As far as n23 this proves that some functions are better done with a manual lever and a driver with a brain in their head.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac

Tags
recall , service 4wd system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in