P0299 while towing, is my Turbo failing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-23-2020, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
rokrau
2008 WK 

P0299 while towing, is my Turbo failing

I had some intercooler plumbing issues that I fixed three weeks ago. Then my wife took the Jeep and drove it more than half across the country and back, about 4000miles without any issues.
A day after she was back I decided to take the boat out and on the way there, pretty much right when getting on the highway the ETC light comes on and limp mode. I pull off and check codes, P0299 and then the plumbing but I can see no leaks or the oil smear that blows out of the turbo. I reset the code and the Jeep pulls again but it makes huffing noises. Huff and Puff. Like an old locomotive. After 30 miles or so at the end of another long uphill slope the ETC is back on and we are in limp again. Fortunately I was close to my launch ramp so I decided to stop thinking about it and go boating.
On the way back the Jeep did better cause I mostly held it between 2500 and 3000 rpm. Finally while close to home more limp mode and now CEL.
Now I can’t reset it anymore. Comes on almost immediately. I am beginning to wonder if I blew out my turbo. I have 168000 miles and am on my 3rd turbo actuator. This last one was professionally rebuilt.

I wonder if any of you CRD owners had to replace the Turbo and if your symptoms were similar.

Thanks for reading and any input.

--Roland, 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.0 CRD, EHM and TRD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-24-2020, 02:09 AM
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Sounds like an actuator going out

"Racing makes Heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." -- Peter Egan
post #3 of 7 Old 06-24-2020, 08:58 AM
-Carnage-

2007 WK 

Garage
You have an Underboost code and you hear a locomotive sound while you also had some plumbing change for the intercooler? It's clear that you have a leak, that's why you are losing pressure (underboost) and hear that sound.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-30-2020, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
rokrau
2008 WK 

Yep. You were completely correct. Took me a little to find it but then I discovered that the weld on the pipe that connects to the throttle body is cracked through.

This pipe is part of the CBEngineer intercooler kit. Pretty sure it’s not entirely CB’s fault. The pipe sits so tight against the frame rail that it probably can not move with the engine under load and that might have cause load cycles on the weld and we all know how long that lasts.
Since tnadanzig has gone awol I’ll try to find a local fab shop to change the pipe for me.

Thanks for your inputs. I’ll report when I get this fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
62A14866-7A11-4290-814D-96ABF8CBDAD1_1593499554393.jpg   F592D12A-2513-4DA9-A0DF-40C74DF0D709_1593499606855.jpg  

post #5 of 7 Old 07-02-2020, 04:19 PM
-Carnage-

2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokrau View Post
Yep. You were completely correct. Took me a little to find it but then I discovered that the weld on the pipe that connects to the throttle body is cracked through.

This pipe is part of the CBEngineer intercooler kit. Pretty sure itís not entirely CBís fault. The pipe sits so tight against the frame rail that it probably can not move with the engine under load and that might have cause load cycles on the weld and we all know how long that lasts.
Since tnadanzig has gone awol Iíll try to find a local fab shop to change the pipe for me.

Thanks for your inputs. Iíll report when I get this fixed.
I'm glad you were able to find the boost leak. Let us know when it get solved.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-12-2020, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
rokrau
2008 WK 

Problem solved.
Found a local shop that did a nice job welding it back together and while it was apart I had them shorten it by 2mm so it won’t rub against the frame rail anymore.

Took me about 15 mins to get it back
in and the pipe fits better than before.
I still have to fix the plumbing on the intercooler intake side which is currently kinda rigged together but that’s for when I have more time to take the whole front apart.

I think the construction and price for the intercooler upgrade could be brought down to a bit more than half of what CB charges. I found the intercooler for 150$ and one would need 100$ in silicon, joints and clamps. The only thing missing is a CAD model of the TB adapter and that then would need to be billed cut from a block of aluminum. I started making one just in case but then my part came back fixed. I’d still be interested in redoing this for the next OM642 engine.
Attached Thumbnails
7B1D3553-6F4A-4228-8E52-4AB4CAD31898_1594537948710.jpg   6718A810-A7D3-416C-8585-29EBB2AD67B5_1594537977892.jpg  

post #7 of 7 Old 07-13-2020, 06:06 PM
-Carnage-

2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokrau View Post
Problem solved.
Found a local shop that did a nice job welding it back together and while it was apart I had them shorten it by 2mm so it wonít rub against the frame rail anymore.

Took me about 15 mins to get it back
in and the pipe fits better than before.
I still have to fix the plumbing on the intercooler intake side which is currently kinda rigged together but thatís for when I have more time to take the whole front apart.

I think the construction and price for the intercooler upgrade could be brought down to a bit more than half of what CB charges. I found the intercooler for 150$ and one would need 100$ in silicon, joints and clamps. The only thing missing is a CAD model of the TB adapter and that then would need to be billed cut from a block of aluminum. I started making one just in case but then my part came back fixed. Iíd still be interested in redoing this for the next OM642 engine.
Wow that's awesome. Glad you solved it. It's interesting that you started making a CAD model of the TB adapter, care to share with the rest of us as I love the OM642 and I'm planning to use it on some future projects.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in