Oxygen sensor replacement 5.7 hemi - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-23-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Oxygen sensor replacement 5.7 hemi

Hey guys I was hoping you could help me as this is looking to be way more difficult then expected. I have to replace my bank 2 sensor 1 o2 sensor. The sensor itself doesn't look difficult to get to... But the pulg, the pulg is up on the bell housing behind the transmission fill tube. Does anyone have a solid method to get to this thing? Thank you!

If it can't be fixed with Duct tape, it can't be fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-23-2018, 11:40 AM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

You're right, not easy at all. Probably the easiest way (many less swear words) is to completely remove the "Y" pipe at the exhaust manifolds and the where it connects to the tailpipe. Replace all 4 sensors with either factory ones (more expensive) or NTK ones.....same as factory ones, but cheaper....at least on the early Hemi's. What year is yours? While you're at it, check the exhaust manifold bolts/studs to insure you have no leaks there. These are a common problem, at least on the early ones, and a source of a"tick sounding leak" and poor fuel economy.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-23-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
You're right, not easy at all. Probably the easiest way (many less swear words) is to completely remove the "Y" pipe at the exhaust manifolds and the where it connects to the tailpipe. Replace all 4 sensors with either factory ones (more expensive) or NTK ones.....same as factory ones, but cheaper....at least on the early Hemi's. What year is yours? While you're at it, check the exhaust manifold bolts/studs to insure you have no leaks there. These are a common problem, at least on the early ones, and a source of a"tick sounding leak" and poor fuel economy.

This is an 08 and I just had the manifold bolts replaced.... What risk do I run damaging anything removing the pipe? Thanks for the reply!

post #4 of 14 Old 12-23-2018, 12:26 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag93 View Post
Hey guys I was hoping you could help me as this is looking to be way more difficult then expected. I have to replace my bank 2 sensor 1 o2 sensor. The sensor itself doesn't look difficult to get to... But the pulg, the pulg is up on the bell housing behind the transmission fill tube. Does anyone have a solid method to get to this thing? Thank you!
I found the easiest way to get at that one was by removing the wheel well liner.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #5 of 14 Old 12-23-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
Quote:
I found the easiest way to get at that one was by removing the wheel well liner.
I was thinking something alnog the same lines.

post #6 of 14 Old 12-23-2018, 12:53 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
This is an 08 and I just had the manifold bolts replaced.... What risk do I run damaging anything removing the pipe? Thanks for the reply!
As yzjwk said, you can access that electrical connector from inside wheel well when the wheel and plastic fender liner are removed. Depends on the size of your arms and finger length. If you do that, have some spare plastic push-pins ready.

On my beast, the hardest task was getting the joint at the y-pipe to the exhaust manifold to seat properly. This is kind of a bell joint and there is no flange gasket on the '08 model year.
The dealer ended up putting some high temperature sealing compound in there and applying a torque higher than the listed value. This has been an ongoing battle for me.

I can tell when it is leaking because DTC's are pending for P0153 (O2 sensor 2/1 slow response) or P0430 (Cat 2 low efficiency). MDS is disabled if an O2 sensor code is pending.

If you drop the y-pipe, you'll probably have to replace the nuts/bolts at the y-pipe to muffler joint also.

Always fun when you have a WK HEMI....

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.

Last edited by Walt; 12-23-2018 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 14 Old 12-23-2018, 03:02 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Walt, I am pretty sure they can replace those bell type joints on the "Y" pipe, I know they can do the end where it connects to the muffler/tailpipe assembly. When I put the long tube headers on mine recently, I had to get a new one (on line ~$60) and take it to a muffler shop and have them convert the 2 1/2 in. coming off the flange to 3 in. so it would match the rest of the exhaust system. That cost another $20 to get it done. By the way, doing 02 Sensors with long tube headers is a snap...all easily accessible.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-23-2018, 03:47 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Why do you HAVE to replace the sensor?

I had to ask - see lots of sensors replaced unnecessarily.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-23-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
Why do you HAVE to replace the sensor?

I had to ask - see lots of sensors replaced unnecessarily.
The dealership is the one that did the diagnostic on it. I just had my exhaust manifold replaced on it about 1000 miles ago and brought it in because the codes pointed towards exhaust manifold leaking again... They're telling me that it's just a simple 02 swap. They didn't charge me for the diag so I figured I'd take a crack at it for a $30 sensor instead of a $400 job. My gas mileage is currently pretty poorto add to the poor gas mileage I also just did my lift haha

post #10 of 14 Old 12-23-2018, 04:40 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

OK then, some testing done are you sure about the price - 30$ for a jeep or NTK sensor?
WOW At 100$+ per hour to test that makes sense to just swap...

PS what codes are yu showing?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-24-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
OK then, some testing done are you sure about the price - 30$ for a jeep or NTK sensor?
WOW At 100$+ per hour to test that makes sense to just swap...

PS what codes are yu showing?
I am only showing PO153

post #12 of 14 Old 12-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Arjay
2004 WJ 

I read up and went with OEM Mopar O2 sensors. Read many posts that people who used after market had problems, check engine light reappearing etc. It's a few $$ more but worth it if you don't have to do the job twice. Many have said NTK is fine but I just didn't want to risk it.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-28-2018, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

I ended up getting an NTK but I have yet to had the time to install it as I've been to busy with the holidays. Plan on doing it this weekend with my tie rods!

post #14 of 14 Old 12-28-2018, 07:57 AM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
I read up and went with OEM Mopar O2 sensors. Read many posts that people who used after market had problems, check engine light reappearing etc. It's a few $$ more but worth it if you don't have to do the job twice. Many have said NTK is fine but I just didn't want to risk it.
The ones from the factory (at least on the early Hemi's) are NTK's.....just don't have the dealer markup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in