Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 164 - JeepForum.com
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2446 of 2548 Old 03-21-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

What's up guys! Sorry for the silence as of late, but life gets busy at times. I have a handful of updates that I need to catch up with so enjoy because here they come...

KillaJeep4569 shoot me a PM anytime!

Tango. she is still sitting at 25" hub to fender all around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2447 of 2548 Old 03-21-2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I needed an easier solution to holding 4 mountain bikes and I wasn't ready to spend $$$ on a whole new carrier. I took some measurements then shopped around a little and picked up these.

Selected some stainless steel hardware to mount them.

Mounted them to the Gobi just behind the crossbar.

Now this setup is easy enough my wife and son can get the bikes up and down. So even when I'm not around they can still transport the bikes.

Now even though the bikes do sit quite high when mounted it's not too bad and I can live with it. When the bikes aren't mounted I use a zip-tie to keep the mounts from rattling about. Here's a link to the fork mounts if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2448 of 2548 Old 03-21-2016, 01:31 PM
DezertTJ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is there anything holding the back tires down? Just curious as ive only used hitch mounts before

post #2449 of 2548 Old 03-21-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

No there isn't. If I'm going to drive a ways with them up there then I might strap the rear tires down, but around town or a short distance to a trail and they are fine. The mount locks the forks down tight and it doesn't pivot like a hub. The bikes don't move around at all.

post #2450 of 2548 Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Well great news! My front pinion bushing was starting to fail again..........yippy So this time I hit up Wally at JeePerf for a set of his 05-10 Jeep WK/XK Poly Differential Bushing. Then it was time to get to work.

I grabbed a pneumatic chisel thinking that was going to make the job easier. FYI it really didn't. I found the easiest way to get the old bushings out was to use a sawzall and cut the center out, then cut a slit in the outer collar. At that point the collar will just pop out with minimal force. Here's what my first one looked like after using the chisel.

Yes that sucked! But once I popped the new one in it was worth it.

Then it was on to the next bushing which was much easier since I gave up on the chisel and grabbed the sawzal.

Now time for the front one. You can see the fun I had with this one!

Notice I marked the sleeve so I knew the proper orientation for when the new bushing went in. (the 2 green marks) The new bushing was quite tight. I had to really give it a beating to get it in all the way. It's not coming out easily! Lets hope it never has to.

Then all that was left was putting it all back together.

Now that I have been driving around with them for a while I can say they do increase road noise a little, but not too much. Just knowing I will never have to replace them again definitely makes the slight increase worth it though! The added noise sounds more like a bearing going out than anything else. So maybe I'm only hearing something starting to fail. I guess we'll see soon enough

post #2451 of 2548 Old 03-24-2016, 02:35 PM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice! Yep, typical rubber vs. poly difference. The poly bushings are pretty much bomb proof compared to the rubber, though.

Good to see ya still wrenching and working the WK over.

~Mike~

WK

XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
post #2452 of 2548 Old 03-24-2016, 03:11 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Nice hammer, Thor.

Having done the bushings before, is a press needed to reinstall OE replacements? I bought the bushings and filled them with poly already (can't hurt...) but just haven't made the time to do the job yet.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #2453 of 2548 Old 03-24-2016, 11:29 PM
Clarkyau
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Now that I have been driving around with them for a while I can say they do increase road noise a little, but not too much. Just knowing I will never have to replace them again definitely makes the slight increase worth it though! The added noise sounds more like a bearing going out than anything else. So maybe I'm only hearing something starting to fail. I guess we'll see soon enough
That's reassuring to hear, I would describe mine as the same with the JeePerf fitted.

http://plus.google.com/u/0/+DownunderJeep/posts/p/pub
post #2454 of 2548 Old 03-25-2016, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Nice! Yep, typical rubber vs. poly difference. The poly bushings are pretty much bomb proof compared to the rubber, though.

Good to see ya still wrenching and working the WK over.
They really aren't too bad and I'm sure having A/Ts instead of M/Ts probably helps. More updates to come. Trying to knock out one at a time as I have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Nice hammer, Thor.

Having done the bushings before, is a press needed to reinstall OE replacements? I bought the bushings and filled them with poly already (can't hurt...) but just haven't made the time to do the job yet.
I love that hammer! You don't need a press to get the new ones in. At least I didn't need one. I simply cleaned the hole out removing any rust or dirt, then gave it a light coat of lube. That aloud the bushing to pop right in with a couple love taps with the hammer. The front bushing I really had to slam on though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkyau View Post
That's reassuring to hear, I would describe mine as the same with the JeePerf fitted.
Good to hear

post #2455 of 2548 Old 03-27-2016, 12:04 PM
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Garage
Looking Good Budd..... ME engine Head Gasket went on the Pass side Block. SO Instead of replacing the gaskets. and heads..... I saw last nite from a tuner thats out we can now add the SRT8 Hemi into the 3.7L's since we can reprogram. SOO I think Im gunna be doing htat next weekend. =)

WWW.FINALTECHREPAIR.COM
post #2456 of 2548 Old 03-27-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Since relocating the rear license plate to the bumper the now empty hatch left me thinking of different things I could do. I've been wanting to mount a shovel and axe somewhere, but didn't want to mount them to the rack. So I did some shopping and decided on these beauties.

For the shovel I wanted one as close to full size as I could fit. It needed to be stainless so I wouldn't have to worry about it rusting up:

http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Garden-...ilpage_o06_s02

For the axe again I wanted it to be full size. I was looking for a splitting axe as most of the time when I need one it's to split wood. Plus a splitting axe is still good for chopping too. I love a good wooden handle but figured synthetic would make more sense for the Jeep:

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-X27-Su...ilpage_o06_s01

After taking measurements I whipped up a couple mounts out of aluminum. These will bolt on using the stock license plate mounts with some stainless hardware.

Unfortunately I couldn't fit both shovel and axe side by side. There just wasn't enough room. Maybe if the shovel had a straight handle it might have worked, but I like the feel of this one too much. So I bolted a single pair of Quick Fist Clamps in the optimal position for mounting just the shovel. I didn't like the idea of just one bolt holding each clamp, so I added a couple more holes for a pair of zip-ties.

I used a couple of low pro bolts/nuts and they JUST clear without hitting the hatch.

And with the shovel in place it fits like a glove!

I'll either mount the axe to the inside of the hatch just below the window or on the tire carries like below. I'm leaning towards inside, then I can leave it mounted more often.

craigbru, Davy120 and Clarkyau like this.

post #2457 of 2548 Old 03-27-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Over Christmas leave we drove up north to my dad's ranch where I got to put the axe to work for a few days. As expected it worked beautifully!

Plus I got to test out those soft shackles I acquired a little while ago by helping my dad offload his new tractor disc.

Clarkyau likes this.

post #2458 of 2548 Old 03-27-2016, 05:56 PM
Jeep Brian

Garage
Omelet, as usual your mods come from your own great ideas!!

Mine: 07 GC Limited Hemi stock for now.

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
post #2459 of 2548 Old 03-28-2016, 12:33 PM
K9SAR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great idea for the tool mounts. May have to "borrow" your idea, I didn't want to mount them up on the rack either.

'06 Overland 5.7 Hemi / QDII / Silver WK Member #59, LED Backup lights, AEV Argent Pintlers, Floor liners. Gibson 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust, 6" Hybrid Superlift / OME lift, 6" JBA rear springs, JBA UCA's, JBA rear track bar, 35x12.5/17 Goodyear MTR's, Steel Armadillo Rock Sliders, 4xGuard Bash Plates
post #2460 of 2548 Old 03-28-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I accidentally skipped this but you may have noticed the headlights were getting a bit hazy. . . again So I grabbed the 3M pad and Plastx

I was waiting until I had the time to pull the headlights off for a few upgrades, but I was running out of time and wanted clear lenses again. With the ARB on the front I couldn't quite reach the top of the lenses. It was good enough for now, plus it only took about 15-20min to do both headlights and fogs.

Yes much better!

Armor_LG likes this.

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 37" , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in