Not sure what this thing is called...but I wanna get rid of it. - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By clemsonscj
  • 1 Post By Planetcat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-18-2020, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
clemsonscj

Not sure what this thing is called...but I wanna get rid of it.

Iím wanting to install some shackle mounts from Steel Armadillo on my JCG, but it has something I need to get rid of first but Iím not sure how involved itís gonna be. In the place where the shackle mounts go, there are these brackets that are meant to hook up to like an RV or motor home to pull your vehicle behind it. But it doesnít look like itíll be as simple as just taking those out and putting the shackle mounts on. There appears to be an entire system that hooks up to the brakes and everything. Anybody have any experience putting in or taking out one of these systems? There even appears to be something bolted under the driver seat that I assume is part of that system.

'09 GC Overland 5.7L QDII; OME HD Lift; 265/70R17 Ridge Grapplers; SC Flashpaq
Black WK Club #134
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-18-2020, 11:52 PM
T1m

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonscj View Post
Iím wanting to install some shackle mounts from Steel Armadillo on my JCG, but it has something I need to get rid of first but Iím not sure how involved itís gonna be. In the place where the shackle mounts go, there are these brackets that are meant to hook up to like an RV or motor home to pull your vehicle behind it. But it doesnít look like itíll be as simple as just taking those out and putting the shackle mounts on. There appears to be an entire system that hooks up to the brakes and everything. Anybody have any experience putting in or taking out one of these systems? There even appears to be something bolted under the driver seat that I assume is part of that system.
I had a tow bar mount on the front of my WK when I bought it, and I hated seeing it too.

I eventually purchased some Mopar tow hooks and used those instructions to take off the grill and bumper cover to switch them out. It's not hard at all but you may need some of the plastic push pins, or rivets. I also had a connector with a wiring harness that ran to my tail lights. I just cut them out, but I didn't have anything going into the cabin. Maybe a brake controller?

The shackles should have instructions on how to install them. I'll check my archives tomorrow to see if I still have the instructions.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-19-2020, 02:01 PM
Planetcat
2010 WK 

The shackles should have come with mounting hardware including backing plates that fit in the frame rails. Itís a custom install, and universal shackles donít just bolt in. I have the warn front receiver which i use for portable winch and as a recovery point.

2010 WK Laredo 5.7L, 2004 WJ 4.7L (totaled), 1959 CJ-5, 1996 XJ (sold), 1989 YJ Wrangler 4.2L (Sold)

post #4 of 12 Old 01-19-2020, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
clemsonscj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
The shackles should have come with mounting hardware including backing plates that fit in the frame rails. Itís a custom install, and universal shackles donít just bolt in. I have the warn front receiver which i use for portable winch and as a recovery point.
I donít have the shackles yet. Iím just wanting to work on getting this current system out. Iíve watched some videos on the shackles, those seem easy to uninstall. What Iím concerned about is this towing system is hooked to a Brakeaway reservoir that Iím guessing is an emergency brake for towing it behind an RV. So I assume itís somehow linked to the brake system so Iím not sure what I can disconnect and what I canít.

Black WK Club #134
post #5 of 12 Old 01-19-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
clemsonscj

Hereís what I got.

Black WK Club #134
post #6 of 12 Old 01-19-2020, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
clemsonscj

Not sure what this thing is called...but I wanna get rid of it.

So the more I think about it, the more I think a front 2Ē receiver hitch would be more versatile than the shackles mounts. Cause I can always put a shackle adapter in a 2Ē receiver and I can also get the Warn portable winch cradle for a winch and be able to use a winch in the front and back. So secondary questions, has anybody put a front hitch on your JGC and who makes them? Iíve tried googling and I can find brands that say they fit but the product pictures donít look right, but they may just be generic photos. I canít find any ďinstalledĒ pics online though.
wildbill23c likes this.

Black WK Club #134
post #7 of 12 Old 01-19-2020, 10:18 PM
Planetcat
2010 WK 

Quote:
So the more I think about it, the more I think a front 2Ē receiver hitch would be more versatile than the shackles mounts. Cause I can always put a shackle adapter in a 2Ē receiver and I can also get the Warn portable winch cradle for a winch and be able to use a winch in the front and back. So secondary questions, has anybody put a front hitch on your JGC and who makes them? Iíve tried googling and I can find brands that say they fit but the product pictures donít look right, but they may just be generic photos. I can find any ďinstalledĒ pics online though.
Thatís exactly what I do. Mines a Warn front receiver hitch.

2010 WK Laredo 5.7L, 2004 WJ 4.7L (totaled), 1959 CJ-5, 1996 XJ (sold), 1989 YJ Wrangler 4.2L (Sold)
post #8 of 12 Old 01-20-2020, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
clemsonscj

Quote:
Thatís exactly what I do. Mines a Warn front receiver hitch.
Are they vehicle specific or did you gave to do some custom fitting? Any photos?

Black WK Club #134
post #9 of 12 Old 01-20-2020, 02:37 PM
Planetcat
2010 WK 

JBA makes front receiver for WK.

Quote:
Are they vehicle specific or did you gave to do some custom fitting? Any photos?
Ok, so I thought I had a Warn, but it's from JBA offroad as part of their matrix kit. You can get receiver only (not whole brush guard, etc.), but will need the mounting kit. It's part SKU XG-K261B. If you have unlimited funds, you can get it with shackle mounts too, but it costs extra. Regardless, there's no cheap solution, unless you are a competent welder and have lots of time on your hands. It tucks into the front bumper, so all you see is the receiver. Here's some pictures:
20200120_121234.jpg

20200120_121245.jpg
Xmind likes this.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-20-2020, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
clemsonscj

Quote:
Ok, so I thought I had a Warn, but it's from JBA offroad as part of their matrix kit. You can get receiver only (not whole brush guard, etc.), but will need the mounting kit. It's part SKU XG-K261B. If you have unlimited funds, you can get it with shackle mounts too, but it costs extra. Regardless, there's no cheap solution, unless you are a competent welder and have lots of time on your hands. It tucks into the front bumper, so all you see is the receiver. Here's some pictures:

Attachment 3883917

Attachment 3883919

Thatís exactly what Iím looking for. What are those brackets sticking out on either side for? Is that for mounting the brush guard?

Black WK Club #134
post #11 of 12 Old 01-20-2020, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
clemsonscj

Disregard..I asked before looking it up.

Black WK Club #134
post #12 of 12 Old 01-20-2020, 03:56 PM
Planetcat
2010 WK 

Quote:
Thatís exactly what Iím looking for. What are those brackets sticking out on either side for? Is that for mounting the brush guard?
I think so. It's been 4 years since I installed it, but IIRC, those brackets came with the mounting kit for the receiver. I put them on in case I wanted to put the whole matrix bumper assembly on at a later date.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in