is this a normal amount of metal shavings? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Alex_

is this a normal amount of metal shavings?

Hey there; I was preparing to do a fluid swap on a rear dana 44, I'm still waiting for the fluid to come but I wanted to see what was on the plug magnet, I don't know whether to be concerned or not; It has the original fluid as far as I know and 265.000 kms on it but there's quite a bit of metal shavings on the plug as you can see on the photo.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0537.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 06:08 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i would say about normal that many miles never been changed. During breakin much of that is made. That is why i always change the all fluids well before say 5k, then about every 10k on the difs or more depending on use.

as long as there is no say pinion issues or other noise heard runs well. It dont need much of a special oil. Unless it has POSI then you need to add the expensive additive for posi. I would use Dino oil as well, no real need for Synthetic here. Only if you were towing max all the time and heat was an issue in the dif.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Alex_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
i would say about normal that many miles never been changed. During breakin much of that is made. That is why i always change the all fluids well before say 5k, then about every 10k on the difs or more depending on use.

as long as there is no say pinion issues or other noise heard runs well. It dont need much of a special oil. Unless it has POSI then you need to add the expensive additive for posi. I would use Dino oil as well, no real need for Synthetic here. Only if you were towing max all the time and heat was an issue in the dif.
what do you mean by pinions issues? well there is a noise when shifting the trans from P to R or D but I diagnoses that as a bad trans mount (its the original one) there's also a small noise when cruising on the back but it does sound like the trans clunking a bit when making the changes, That noise did go away when we changed the U-joints but it came back but not as bad.

I was planning on using 75w-140.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-28-2020, 07:01 AM
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I think synthetic is the oem reccomendation...

Kyle
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
post #5 of 8 Old 03-28-2020, 07:08 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ View Post
what do you mean by pinions issues? well there is a noise when shifting the trans from P to R or D but I diagnoses that as a bad trans mount (its the original one) there's also a small noise when cruising on the back but it does sound like the trans clunking a bit when making the changes, That noise did go away when we changed the U-joints but it came back but not as bad.

I was planning on using 75w-140.
Pinion should have no Lateral play( side to side. They will rotate with some play. To check that amount you need to pull the cover and use a dial indicator to measure the lash. Most cases if the pinion had lateral play the seal leaks as well. One could have a bad seal and not have pinion issue as well.

Drive line slack. Is when you hear that clunk changing gears. It could be normal, depending on how you shift gears. It could as well be worn U joints. worse case it could be excessive wear in the dif or trans.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #6 of 8 Old 03-28-2020, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Alex_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Pinion should have no Lateral play( side to side. They will rotate with some play. To check that amount you need to pull the cover and use a dial indicator to measure the lash. Most cases if the pinion had lateral play the seal leaks as well. One could have a bad seal and not have pinion issue as well.

Drive line slack. Is when you hear that clunk changing gears. It could be normal, depending on how you shift gears. It could as well be worn U joints. worse case it could be excessive wear in the dif or trans.
I do not have one of these but maybe a buddy that has a shop can lend me one.

The U-joints where replaced I believe early last year with spicer ones; as for the trans the mount is shot same as the pressure sensor which I strongly believe is the cause for the clunk from 2nd to 3rd.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-30-2020, 06:30 PM
Planetcat
2010 WK 

I would pull the diff cover off and inspect. I've seen abused Dana diffs with 200,000+ miles on them and not that many metal shavings. If the diff has never, ever, been drained since new, then I could see that possibly happening.

2010 WK Laredo 5.7L, 2004 WJ 4.7L (totaled), 1959 CJ-5, 1996 XJ (sold), 1989 YJ Wrangler 4.2L (Sold)
post #8 of 8 Old 03-31-2020, 08:23 AM
Raffish
2005 WK 

Pull the cover, spray it all down real well with brake cleaner, let it dry, reseal with RTV (mopar stuff is cheap and sets fast) and refill.

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in