Noisy 3.7 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
V6WK
2005 WK 

Noisy 3.7

Hey guys. I have a question about the 3.7L, on a scale of 1-10 how noisy is the engine overall? I have what I think is an issue with mine but not sure if its normal or just somthing thats inherent with these engines.

The noise I hear is hard to describe, but seems to be comeing from the pulleys. They are just overall loud. Not really sure if they ride on a bearing or not

It seemed to me to have gotten louder ever since I took the truck out to a sand pit. That being said its hard to tell cause I never really noticed it before. Also after taking a truck off road I feel like your senses are hightened and you start to hear every little squeek etc, even though nothings wrong.

So, is somthing like this normal and im just being a little, emm... kitty cat, about this? or has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 07:23 PM
AJeepZJ

2006 WK 

I can't say for sure... But like you I was probably a little overly protective at first, and my heightened senses seemingly picked up the slightest changes in the vehicle. But, I really think it's just that phase of getting to understand your vehicle and etc especially if you've had your vehicle for less than a year or two.

I'm still understanding features about this vehicle that I didn't know before. Like I didn't know I could flash it to see what might need servicing. Mine says my 'tranny is over temp'. even on a cold day of having never run it it says this, which could be a number of things - but hopefully nothing serious.. Dunno know how relevant this is, but like anything - I'll check it out.

All Gear, No Skill.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 07:45 PM
2005GRANDONE

2005 WK 

sounds like water pump bearing or possible idler pulley serpentine tensioner pulley best way to know for sure relieve tension from belt grap each pulley spin it or wiggle them have had to replace a few 3.7 water pumps at my shop any where from 40k - 70k when they start going out some may last longer or never go bad luck of the draw i guess

post #4 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 PM
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

mines pretty loud, while it idles it kinda annoying. the other ones i test drove sounded exactly the same. Idle suck on these things too its not very smooth.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 08:25 PM
AJeepZJ

2006 WK 

But the rough idling could also be a result of a bad or failing EGR Valve. Mine doesn't idle hard that much... every once in a while it might.

All Gear, No Skill.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-03-2010, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
V6WK
2005 WK 

my jeep idles great, plenty smooth. It just has a very constant and loud "sound" from what I belive to be from the pulleys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005GRANDONE View Post
sounds like water pump bearing or possible idler pulley serpentine tensioner pulley best way to know for sure relieve tension from belt grap each pulley spin it or wiggle them have had to replace a few 3.7 water pumps at my shop any where from 40k - 70k when they start going out some may last longer or never go bad luck of the draw i guess
Im going to try this and check it out! thanks for the heads up grandone
post #7 of 13 Old 11-03-2010, 06:49 AM
meep
2008 WK 

my belts are quiet but valvetrain ticking has been there since 000006 miles on the clock. The injectors are not as quiet as other vehicles I've known either.

Buddy of mine with an 08 dakota... his 3.7 is *whisper* quiet.

I run 5-20 but with 1 qt of 10-30. if I don't do the x-30, valves clatter, especially on the highway once warm it can sound really bad.

M
post #8 of 13 Old 11-03-2010, 11:34 AM
JKM
2018 WK 

my pulleys are also loud. I have 95K KMs (~60K miles). This started about 10K miles ago. I spun the pulleys by hand and nothing seems to be problematic, but I'm not spinning at the same speed that the engine is running.

I also have a small oil somewhere in the area of the water point. Just some weapage at this point and had to tell where it's coming from.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-03-2010, 06:09 PM
stanton3

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_WK View Post
I'm still understanding features about this vehicle that I didn't know before. Like I didn't know I could flash it to see what might need servicing. Mine says my 'tranny is over temp'. even on a cold day of having never run it it says this, which could be a number of things - but hopefully nothing serious.. Dunno know how relevant this is, but like anything - I'll check it out.
I walked out one day to start mine and it wouldnt do anything. The tranny of temp came up on mine and we eventually had to get the starter replaced at about 35K.

I wouldnt worry about it too much unless you start noticing other problems, my friends 2010 shows the same thing, and hers isnt throwing any codes either. Hers has about 9k on it.

2007 WK 4x4 | OME HD 3" Lift | OME Shocks front + rear | 265/70/17 BFG All Terrains | 1.25" Wheel Spacers on stock wheels | Saguaro4xcomponents 5/8" Front recovery shackles | Aries Taillight Guards | PIAA 510 fogs in stock location | Midland 1001z Cb | Mopar Rear recovery hook | Rola Roof Rack |2 Hella 500ffs mounted behind grill | Firestick 3' Antenna | Saguaro Antenna Mount | Front Bumper Cut/Fender Trim | OEM Front suspension skid | 4xguard Front skid | Rusty's .5" Front Spacer | Lots more to come

Want to buy: 4xguard Rear Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-03-2010, 06:31 PM
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_WK View Post
But the rough idling could also be a result of a bad or failing EGR Valve. Mine doesn't idle hard that much... every once in a while it might.
its not all the time and I have replaced the EGR vavle it didnt really do anything for me. Ive seen a few people complain about it around the forums so i figure id just deal with it unless it gets worse.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 PM
JKM
2018 WK 

my water pump failed last week. it was the bearing in the pump causing the noise, which was like a loose belt. Coolant leaked all over the place.

Replaced with a new pump (not rebuilt) and it's all quiet again.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-12-2010, 09:30 PM
bumzo1

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbmxseries1 View Post
mines pretty loud, while it idles it kinda annoying. the other ones i test drove sounded exactly the same. Idle suck on these things too its not very smooth.
I agree, if there are people around I get embarrassed because it sounds like an old man who can barely breathe.

'05 WK 3.7L QT1 OME MD lift
'09 WK 5.7L QDII Stock for Now
Khaki WK Club Member #1
post #13 of 13 Old 12-12-2010, 09:38 PM
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ive never had a jeep that has been smooth or quiet. and im on my 4th one. i also have jeep thats got a dodge engine transplanted in it...... yep shes even louder.

2005 Jeep grand Cherokee WK 2" rough country lift 1.25 wheel spacers 255/75/17
Blue WK club #5
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ, random leafspring budget lift ith 33s on 16s and V8 swap.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ --SOLD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in