No heat on passenger side - blend door gears - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 08-28-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
IlanLCD
2008 WK 

No heat on passenger side - blend door gears

As our WKs get older, plastic parts are starting to fall apart.

It seems that it is a common issue with the heat at passenger side, there is a plastic part that breaks, that part connects the blend door to the actuator (a lever).

The part can be seen here, at the left the broken part, to the right a good part.

20150828_152153.jpg

If you go to the dealer with such an issue, you will be told that they will inspect, when they find the broken lever, the service manual states that the lever is not serviceable and a new air box is required, part 68020231AA, the part is $200, but to install the part you need to take the dashboard apart ($1,000)

A simple fix is to replace the lever, as it comes out easily, but you will not be able to find one! If you do have the patience you can probably salvage a part at a junk yard, but you will have to do it yourself.

If you are lucky and get the lever then:
1. Remove the glove box.
2. Remove the White receiver to the left of the opening (clips)
3. Remove the actuator (2 hex screws)
4. Replace the lever
5. Assemble is a reverse order

Tops 30 minutes work

Probably such a part can be printed in a 3D printer, i'm checking possibilities.

2008 WK, limited, QTII OX locker, 4.7 super chipped, free flow muffler, K&N filter, modified lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-28-2015, 02:28 PM
sfjacks1
2004 WJ 

Unless as in my situation it breaks the Blendoor arm then you're just screwed.. Lol
post #3 of 37 Old 08-29-2015, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
IlanLCD
2008 WK 

If the arm is broken you will have to replace the air box :-(

2008 WK, limited, QTII OX locker, 4.7 super chipped, free flow muffler, K&N filter, modified lift

post #4 of 37 Old 08-29-2015, 12:06 PM
sfjacks1
2004 WJ 

I will Mickey Mouse something for the winter time coming up and do it in the spring
post #5 of 37 Old 08-29-2015, 12:07 PM
sfjacks1
2004 WJ 

The code stored and it says right side Blend over travel, just hoping it's not the heater control head as well
post #6 of 37 Old 08-29-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
IlanLCD
2008 WK 

Indeed that's the code I had from the Starscan. The actuator travels more than should as the lever is broken.
post #7 of 37 Old 08-29-2015, 03:32 PM
sfjacks1
2004 WJ 

Makes sense...
post #8 of 37 Old 09-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Bigdlensch

2006 WK 

This is different than the gear isn't it, haven't tore into the jeep yet, my son put change in the vent and I heard it break this morning and then nothing but cold on the passenger side. I can find gears all day long.

Super slowmo build, 2006 grand cherokee limited 4.7, flowmaster 40, k&n cai, superchips, shorty antennae, 08 Jk Sahara takeoffs w/stock duelers
Red wk club
Ohio jeep
post #9 of 37 Old 10-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Westy
2007 XK Commander 

I've got the no-heat on passenger side problem. I had auto zone check for codes today but none showed up. Might that mean that I have a different issue than the blend door or actuator lever? I'm going to have a look behind the glove box this weekend.
post #10 of 37 Old 10-10-2015, 03:26 PM
DonTonn
2006 WK 

I've been trying to figure out a no-heat-passenger-side problem for quite a while. Finally found relevant answers on this forum.

Found the broken recirc gear behind the glove box & replaced it with the replacement part (that you'd never be able to find without this forum), but that didn't fix the no-hot-air problem.

Took off the actuator on left side of glove box and found the same broken plastic link shown in the OP of this thread. Has no one found a purchasable replacement for this part?

The design is actually not bad - make the weakest link an easily replaceable cheap plastic part. But WHYYYY couldn't they just assign it a part number and make it available through MOPAR???
post #11 of 37 Old 10-11-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
IlanLCD
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTonn View Post
The design is actually not bad - make the weakest link an easily replaceable cheap plastic part. But WHYYYY couldn't they just assign it a part number and make it available through MOPAR???
Don, glad I helped you.

I can check the cost of producing such a part with a 3D printer. I think your best chance will be to salvage one. We better start picking them.

post #12 of 37 Old 10-11-2015, 09:05 PM
DonTonn
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlanLCD View Post
I can check the cost of producing such a part with a 3D printer. I think your best chance will be to salvage one. We better start picking them.
I've had others suggest trying to 3D-print one. Unfortunately, I don't have a whole part to duplicate. My broken piece looked identical to yours, but I couldn't find the broken-off piece.

Looks like I'll be headed to the junkyards this week.
At least it's an easy pull.
post #13 of 37 Old 10-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Bigdlensch

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTonn View Post
I've been trying to figure out a no-heat-passenger-side problem for quite a while. Finally found relevant answers on this forum.

Found the broken recirc gear behind the glove box & replaced it with the replacement part (that you'd never be able to find without this forum), but that didn't fix the no-hot-air problem.

Took off the actuator on left side of glove box and found the same broken plastic link shown in the OP of this thread. Has no one found a purchasable replacement for this part?

I agree, same piece broken and cannot find it anywhere. Plus there are no pick and pulls around me. Booo

Super slowmo build, 2006 grand cherokee limited 4.7, flowmaster 40, k&n cai, superchips, shorty antennae, 08 Jk Sahara takeoffs w/stock duelers
Red wk club
Ohio jeep
post #14 of 37 Old 01-30-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
IlanLCD
2008 WK 

All that having the issue due to the broken part, I have the part printed by a 3D printer, PM me and we can arrange shipment:

part-wk-ac.jpg

post #15 of 37 Old 01-30-2016, 01:49 PM
JackB1
2008 WK 

This is a thread I saved but gear looks like different part. Just in case it helps go here. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...ve-box-in-dash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in