Newbie picked up a wk 5.7k - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 90grandoneer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-30-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Avs
2006 WK 

Newbie picked up a wk 5.7k

First time jeep owner...picked up a 06 wk w/ 5.7l with 130k miles. As far as I know the car needs basic tlc such as fluid change etc. I also been reading on the this forum and various sites that early wk w/ 5.7l are prone to valve seat issues. The car do have a few stored engine code (p1521, p0455, u1411) and p1521 pending code. Overall the car drives fine and no other unusual noise.

Iím guessing the first thing I need to do to inspect for valve seat issue is to remove spark plug from each cylinder head using a borescope and check for piston damage if thereís is any from dropped valve seat. If thereís no piston head damaged I can just proceed to replace all valve seats. From what Iím reading on valve seat replacement, I would need valve spring tool. Does the head need to come off and the valve seat hole needs to be machined before the new valve seat goes back in? Thanks!

Last edited by Avs; 09-30-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-30-2019, 05:12 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new ride. IMO, the first thing you should do is a complete 100K service, checking all drive train components, changing fluids/filters, brakes, all 16 spark plugs (copper core only) and research/clear your codes and see if any of them come back. Also, when changing the oil, be sure to use 7 quarts of 5W-20, preferably synthetic. While you're at it, check the back side of the throttle body for caked on crud from the lousy PCV system on the Hemi's. Clean per instructions on this forum and install a new PCV Valve and add a catch can to help eliminate this contamination issue.

Unfortunately checking and fixing the valve seats is not as easy as you may think. First, if you've dropped a valve seat, you'll for sure know it. Second, if you haven't dropped one, you probably won't see anything unusual with the borescope. Many folks (me included) feel this issue is caused by Chrysler's improper specs. for the interference clearance between the aluminum head and the steel valve seats. In the big scheme of things, this is not all that common....number of early 5.7's made vs. number that have this problem. If you're one of the lucky ones, you'll never have a problem.....if not, you may be in for some "unscheduled" maintenance.

You can be proactive like I was with my two early 5.7's and pull them apart and have all the valve seats replaced....probably about $1000-1200 for both heads, plus gaskets, coolant and oil, This beats being stranded somewhere if you travel a lot, and also beats. the about $2000-10000 cost of major engine work if one drops. Also install a cooler thermostat (I use 190* ones) and, with an aftermarket tuner, reset the cooling fan start temperatures to lower settings that are better suited for the cooler thermostat. I have mine set as follows: Low=197*; Medium= 203* and high=208*.

There are other things to look at and check, so YOU will know the complete, current maintenance status of the vehicle. If you take care of it, it'll generally take care of you. Others on here will give you more ideas on things to do that will help you stay ahead of any problems. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Raffish
2005 WK 

That^^

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms

post #4 of 7 Old 10-01-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Avs
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new ride. IMO, the first thing you should do is a complete 100K service, checking all drive train components, changing fluids/bilters, brakes, all 16 spark plugs (copper core only) and research/clear your codes and see if any of them come back. Also, when changing the oil, be sure to use 7 quarts of 5W-20, preferably synthetic. While you're at it, check the back side of the throttle body for caked on crud from the lousy PCV system on the Hemi's. Clean per instructions on this forum and install a new PCV Valve and add a catch can to help eliminate this contamination issue.

Unfortunately checking and fixing the valve seats is not as easy as you may think. First, if you've dropped a valve seat, you'll for sure know it. Second, if you haven't dropped one, you probably won't see anything unusual with the borescope. Many folks (me included) feel this issue is caused by Chrysler's improper specs. for the interference clearance between the aluminum head and the steel valve seats. In the big scheme of things, this is not all that common....number of early 5.7's made vs. number that have this problem. If you're one of the lucky ones, you'll never have a problem.....if not, you may be in for some "unscheduled" maintenance.

You can be proactive like I was with my two early 5.7's and pull them apart and have all the valve seats replaced....probably about $1000-1200 for both heads, plus gaskets, coolant and oil, This beats being stranded somewhere if you travel a lot, and also beats. the about $2000-10000 cost of major engine work if one drops. Also install a cooler thermostat (I use 190* ones) and, with an aftermarket tuner, reset the cooling fan start temperatures to lower settings that are better suited for the cooler thermostat. I have mine set as follows: Low=197*; Medium= 203* and high=208*.

There are other things to look at and check, so YOU will know the complete, current maintenance status of the vehicle. If you take care of it, it'll generally take care of you. Others on here will give you more ideas on things to do that will help you stay ahead of any problems. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for all the helpful info. Really appreciated. Which catch can and Mopar Oem parts online store in the us would you recommend?
post #5 of 7 Old 10-02-2019, 04:38 PM
JeepN_A_CJ7

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Billet Technology has a really nice setup for the catch can, I installed it on mine and I'm very pleased by the quality of the product and on how much oil it does catch! As for Mopar OEM parts there are several, Rock Auto, Mopar Parts Giant are two that I shop from. I would say you could get away with using non-Mopar parts for most things except the engine, tranny, and electrical. After-market, well it's after-market so pick your poison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
Thanks for all the helpful info. Really appreciated. Which catch can and Mopar Oem parts online store in the us would you recommend?

Always Jeepin!

*2007 WK QDII HEMI
*1980 CJ7 4.2L w/FAST FI

Silver WK Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-02-2019, 08:23 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN_A_CJ7 View Post
Billet Technology has a really nice setup for the catch can, I installed it on mine and I'm very pleased by the quality of the product and on how much oil it does catch! As for Mopar OEM parts there are several, Rock Auto, Mopar Parts Giant are two that I shop from. I would say you could get away with using non-Mopar parts for most things except the engine, tranny, and electrical. After-market, well it's after-market so pick your poison!
I have Billet Tech. catch cans on both of my 5.7's. I also use multiple places for parts, including the ones cited above. Transfer case fluid is the only one I get directly from my local stealer. RockAuto, IMO, you have to know exactly what you want and, if possible, get Mopar OE stuff, otherwise study the "more info." sections to see which ones suit your needs. Personally I've never had a problem with them, but I've heard that some have. Mopar Parts Giant and other online Mopar parts sellers also should be looked at for best pricing. Just be sure to have your part numbers going in and you'll do fine. Also, check on this forum for recommendations from those that have "been there, done that".
JeepN_A_CJ7 likes this.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-03-2019, 09:30 PM
jldzj59
2007 WK 

What are your long term plans and what is your budget?

is it leaking oil, diff fluid, how are CVs, exhaust leak, front diff bushings cracked? I just addressed all of these in one comprehensive maintenance. Diff bushings were broke, diff seals leaking so had to remove front diff. Once that was out, I was able to get to leaky oil pan. It was a good time to address two broken exhaust studs and change transmission fluid and filters. Front main seal was starting to leak as well so it made sense to pull timing cover and replace those seals and gaskets and harmonic balancer. My engine has 128k of hard revving miles on it so I took the time to try to freshen it up. Of course most of that is not "essential" but if you have diff bushing issues which are common it is something to consider going a bit further.

It was not easy but I was able to do it in my garage with car up on a couple layers of blocks so I could get under. Rock auto, other sites mentioned above, Mopar parts as much as possible.

2007 Black WK 5.7 OME 2.5 4XGuard Matrix Skids Sliders Gobi Rack BFGs AT KO2s SuperChip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in