New upper control arms (Rocky Road Outfitters) + 2 inch lift = Front end alignment? - JeepForum.com
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By yzjwk
  • 2 Post By 2005JGC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-22-2020, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
HankyD

New upper control arms (Rocky Road Outfitters) + 2 inch lift = Front end alignment?

Hey guy,

So as the title suggests, I've gone ahead with a 2 inch lift on my 08 WK CRD and opted to do the job properly with upgraded upper control arms by Rocky Road Outfitters.

I didn't have any alignment issues prior to beginning this project.

From what I understand, a 2 inch lift alone doesn't necessarily mean I need an alignment. But in this instance, the stock upper control arms were replaced with arms that can accommodate the proper articulation that comes with adding a 2 inch lift on these models.

I think the answer is no, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-22-2020, 01:31 PM
drew54
2006 WK 

Maybe, maybe not.

You could find a place that does free alignment checks.

Some tire shops will offer this. If you're not in range, then you'll know.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-22-2020, 02:53 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyD View Post
Hey guy,

So as the title suggests, I've gone ahead with a 2 inch lift on my 08 WK CRD and opted to do the job properly with upgraded upper control arms by Rocky Road Outfitters.

I didn't have any alignment issues prior to beginning this project.

From what I understand, a 2 inch lift alone doesn't necessarily mean I need an alignment. But in this instance, the stock upper control arms were replaced with arms that can accommodate the proper articulation that comes with adding a 2 inch lift on these models.

I think the answer is no, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks again.
The WK is IFS. Anytime you change the height, you need an alignment.
acabtp, underscore and 2005JGC like this.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot

post #4 of 10 Old 09-22-2020, 05:10 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
As yzjwk said... through the suspension travel, your alignment angles change being IFS. So if you change the ride height of the vehicle, your alignment angles are not where they should be at the new ride height. You need an alignment! A straight axle, just crank that drag link adjuster until the steering wheel is straight and send it. Not so much with IFS.
yzjwk and acabtp like this.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #5 of 10 Old 09-22-2020, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
HankyD

Great to know this information, I don't know too much about front ends, alignments, etc. I was of the belief that I would be fine (based on internet searches).

Thanks again!
post #6 of 10 Old 09-24-2020, 11:15 AM
nomercy346
2008 WK 

Mine drove like crap after the lift before getting it aligned. Couldnít hold a straight line over the smallest bumps.
With the IFS you need the alignment once you touch ride height or the LCA mounts. I believe you could probably replace the ucas by themselves without getting it aligned as they donít have any adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 WK Limited CRD
14 RAM 1500 Hemi, CCSB

96 ZJ Limited 5.2 - sold
post #7 of 10 Old 09-24-2020, 12:05 PM
3Recon
2009 WK 

You might not notice if your trail running or on loose surfaces but pick up the speed and city driving you more then likely just scrubbing off dollars on your tires.
If your adding wheel spacers in my option should be fine but in the end it's up to you how it fills. Ask your alignment person on what's might be needed after adding. It'll take a few miles to get accustom to the wider stance.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-26-2020, 08:22 AM
Th0r
2009 WK 

You NEED an alignment. Lifting an IFS suspension really knocks things out of whack.

Ask to speak to the tech, and let him know if he's having issues with Camber that he can sacrifice Caster to get Camber in the green. If that is needed, and you are running a tire size larger the forum's recommendations for your lift, you may need to trim a little material from the inside of your front bumper.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-28-2020, 11:09 AM
jeepers_2020

2005 WK 

Garage
Nice, I was thinking of adding a 2" lift to mine as well so good to know I don't need to do a wheel alignment. I just had the control arms, tie rods, CV joints, etc. replaced on my vehicle. So definitely had to do a wheel alignment.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-28-2020, 11:11 AM
jeepers_2020

2005 WK 

Garage
I only read the top post, and I just noticed that everyone was saying you needed a wheel alignment... good to know!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in