New radio GPS and Camera for Jeep - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By yzjwk
  • 1 Post By CavallinoRed

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
wojtek90

New radio GPS and Camera for Jeep

Finally is time to put new audio and GPS system in my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2007 3.0L disel . It is hundred of them on the market, but I would like to have your opinion guys which one to chose.
I am thinking about Android based system with ability to connect all steering switches and budget about $300. I don't mind to do some cuts in original opening.
Please help me with selection.
Sorry for up side down picture. I do not now how to rotate it.

Attached Thumbnails
190519_0228.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 06:25 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

your picture is upside down... fyi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 06:59 AM
mb81
2006 WK 

Kudos if you can stick to that budget! When doing mine I found the harnesses to integrate the steering wheel controls and can bus interfaces, etc were almost $200 by themselves. Maybe you're not counting those costs in your total? Not sure what head unit you're looking at, but you might be able to find something you like for $300. I had the same radio in your picture and I considered a Seicane unit (android) because it looked to fit the best and have plenty of features. I didn't end up going that route and the longer I went the more money I spent on the project. The factory audio system is tricky on these! Know what setup you have first.

2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 HEMI

post #4 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 08:14 AM
Walt
2008 WK 

To wojtek90:

Whatever you buy, do not get a MyGig REN unit:

1. No GPS.
2. Have never been successful getting Sirius and the REN to work at the same time. Right now, I have all of the right hand side speakers out, even though the displays show it working. No codes.
3. Had the head unit, speakers, a cable, and the Boston Acoustics amplifier replaced at various times.
4. There is an entirely separate set of owners manuals for this POS. They didn't come with delivery and I only found it by accident.
5. Someone disconnected the battery without pulling the radio fuse first and it seems to be fried (see applicable REN TSB).

This setup has been FUBAR since I got it. I asked MOPAR several times to replace it with the RER version but they refused. Maybe I will give it 1 more shot at testing the amplifier output. Even the '08 MOPAR WK FSM is very sketchy on this. The signals run through the CANBus, not traditional wires.

Current solution: Leave the [email protected]#$%&* radio off. It's a very expensive clock.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
wojtek90

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrassmid View Post
your picture is upside down... fyi
Thank you. I will correct it.
Attached Thumbnails
190519_0226 (2).jpg  
post #6 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
wojtek90

Thank you. i will check it out. What I supoust to watch for set up. I never done it before and not familiar with radio connection. Can you please elaborated more about it.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 09:54 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek90 View Post
Finally is time to put new audio and GPS system in my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2007 3.0L disel . It is hundred of them on the market, but I would like to have your opinion guys which one to chose.
I am thinking about Android based system with ability to connect all steering switches and budget about $300. I don't mind to do some cuts in original opening.
Please help me with selection.
Sorry for up side down picture. I do not now how to rotate it.
That's an RAQ radio so you may not even have the Amplifier. If that's the case, I think it's a normal radio head replacement as there is no CAN bus crap to deal with.

Take a look in the rear hatch, left hand side panel I believe, and see if you have an amplifier back there. You should be able to see it through the vent slots without removing the panel.
wojtek90 likes this.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #8 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
wojtek90

No there is no amplifier.
So it is mean that I can put there any system as long as it fit in?
post #9 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 07:37 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

I have no experience with the non amp system so hopefully someone in the know will chime in but I would say Yes I think you would just need a wiring crossover plug or factory radio pinout to tap in to the connector.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #10 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 11:25 PM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Bit hard to not go to a double DIN size head unit and best bet there rather than hacking away is to get a kit like this one. But is $100 of your budget right there

https://www.amazon.com/Navigation-In...Grand+Cherokee

To get an idea on what will fit and what will be needed to do so check out https://www.crutchfield.com/car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx

Sounds like you have the no NAV no Boston A. set up. Looks like some decent heads for our $300 target but like mb81 mentioned you'll probably need some bits to make it all work. The crutchfield.com site will give what is needed for the install. Once you find something you like there i would shop it to see if you can find it less elsewhere as Cruthchfield is normally no the lowest but might price match. But a real good place to start to see options on what will work.

Good luck!
wojtek90 likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-22-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
wojtek90

Thank you very much. I will definitely check this cruthchfield web site. I think I can cut opening with no problem. I have tools and skills to do it and would like to go with 2 DIN size system. Form what I see basically any system will work with my Jeep.
Thank again for recommendation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in