New owner - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 04-05-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

New owner: progress updates

Another new owner of an old jeep.

Got a 2008.5 GC CRD in november of last year, i have done the green diesel eco tune, have the hot tune as well but have not tried it yet. i did the egr and swirl delete with the tune, and relocated the CCV.

I am getting the dpf deleted next week and have the 2 tunes updated and ready to install when its done.

What i am looking for is advise on what to do now, while i am getting the dpf deleted should i replace the muffler with something that has a bit more sound? very subjective i know, i don't want to anoy with it, but would like a more deep sounding diesel type exhaust note, if that makes any sense.

Also i have had about $1k worth of stuff from cb in the shopping cart for weeks, intercooler, resonator pipe, etc. but i can't hit the buy button, being in canada makes that almost $2k CDN by the time it gets here.

Is that 2K going to be that much of an improvement?

Anyways, i love this jeep. the torque is addicting. i was lucky that prev owner changed a lot of the expensive stuff, transfer case, trans, oil cooler in the engine. they had spent almost 14k in 1 year and it only has 190,000km.

so he was tired of it, was his wifes daily driver and i got it for i think a great price.

Last edited by Grinmaul; 05-06-2019 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Edit Title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-05-2019, 10:08 PM
bener_m

I personally love the sound of a diesel with a 3" nice flowing exhaust - my last vehicle had a 3" straight off the turbo with one large bullet muffler and it sounded great.

The turbo keeps the noise down a lot too. GDE told me that performance is not much difference with factory exhaust or aftermarket once you remove the DPF.

I'd like to do it but can't justify if for the sound alone - maybe one day. My New Zealand model CRD has no DPF from factory so that's a bonus.
post #3 of 39 Old 04-06-2019, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

Don't want to go to loud i am thinking when i do the dpf delete maybe remove the resonator and leave it at that. time will tell.

post #4 of 39 Old 04-06-2019, 08:56 AM
moonvan
2008 WK 

Exhaust wont do much for performance so its really just for the sound. I have the Hot tune and DPF delete on mine. AS far as the CB engineering parts, you can DIY the intercooler setup and resonator for cheaper if you are handy with tools. I haven't done the intercooler yet but I made my resonator pipe setup from $30 worth of pipe and couplers off of ebay. There are several threads on here from other people building their own resonator pipes and intercoolers.

2008.5 Grand Cherokee S-Limited CRD
post #5 of 39 Old 04-06-2019, 09:59 AM
SteveROntario

I use www.myusaddress.com for a lot of orders. If you are near the border you should be able to find something similar.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #6 of 39 Old 04-06-2019, 01:59 PM
bener_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonvan View Post
Exhaust wont do much for performance so its really just for the sound. I have the Hot tune and DPF delete on mine. AS far as the CB engineering parts, you can DIY the intercooler setup and resonator for cheaper if you are handy with tools. I haven't done the intercooler yet but I made my resonator pipe setup from $30 worth of pipe and couplers off of ebay. There are several threads on here from other people building their own resonator pipes and intercoolers.
Did you get much performance gain from doing this?
post #7 of 39 Old 04-06-2019, 05:31 PM
moonvan
2008 WK 

I didn't really notice any difference in performance, but it does make the boost sound a little louder. Some people have reported better throttle response and MPGs from the intercooler as it seems to be the biggest restriction in the system.

2008.5 Grand Cherokee S-Limited CRD
post #8 of 39 Old 04-11-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

So did the dpf delete, we started it and it made almost no noise differance, so i told them to go ahead and chop out the resonator, maybe a slight increase in noise?

Its so quiet and it is straight pipe from the cat.

Had to take the highway home, no increase in cabin noise which is nice. also loaded the hot tune with dpf delete added, does not seem much different then the eco tune so far, will keep at it

Waiting on the Cb engineering inter cooler and turbo resonator pipe kit, no idea how long that will take.

2008.5 WK CRD, 2005 WK Limited 5.7
post #9 of 39 Old 04-30-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

Not sure anyone wants updates, if this is annoying and i should only post when i have a problem with something then let me know.

In another post i mention getting AlphaOBD and using it to get rid of the tire pressure warning from the evic display on my wifes GC. it is a good program, but does not talk to all the computers on a jeep, or at least mine.

my service 4wd message has been on since i bought the jeep. AlphaOBD does not have an option to talk to the FDCM. We have a Launch scanner at work and it is able to find and talk to all the computers, there was a bunch of codes, including one about worn clutch pack in the transfercase. the previous owner had it rebuilt not long before i bought it, hopefully they just did not have the ability to check and clear the codes and its left over from then.

cleared the codes and message is gone and I am able to engage 4wd low. yay! and now my evic display stays on what ever i set it to now to

All my parts have been showing up randomly for the last 2 weeks, amazon.ca shipped 4 bilstien shocks from 3 different warehouses. last 2 showed up today.

CB Engineering package also showed up last week.

So todo this Sat:
Intercooler kit
4 Bilstien 5100 shocks.
use the rear part of the 2 inch lift i got.
1.5 Wheel spacers.
255/70r18 2016 Wrangler take offs.
probably remove roof rack rails to fit back in my underground.

if it doesn't fit in underground, then todo Sun, remove lift, sell tires, buy new tires that fit..

post #10 of 39 Old 05-06-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

Update, Did the Bilstien 5100 shocks and the 2 inch rear lift. what a pain to do the fronts.

The bolt was seized of course, i have torches, but even then it was just starting to mangle the bolt. so instead i removed the shock leaving the lower part attached, the control arm would not go low enough, so removed the spindle assembly and unbolted the arm, marked its location but of course it is part of the alignment.

The shop i took it to get the alignment done is fine if you need your toe adjusted, but no one seems to really understand how to adjust camber and caster, they messed it up so much that my wheelbase is 1 inch different left vs right now.

So have to find a good shop for that still. it drives straight but i am sure there is a problem, when i hammer the gas it pulls left.

My mileage came down to the lowest i have seen on the dash, 10.4l per 100km.

One side rubs the pinchweld, so that's next.

I am also not sure what to put into the scan tool for a value of tire circumference. they are 255/70r18 32inch as i understand it.

TPMS is not working, the tires are brand new takeoffs from a 2016 wrangler, they must have sensors in them no?

Anyways, i will get to the intercooler install some day.

That's it for now, should i follow up with progress?

post #11 of 39 Old 05-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Gturner53

Fire away, sounds like an interesting build...and post pictures when possible.
post #12 of 39 Old 05-09-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

End result, had to do the pinchweld on the passenger side, proper alignment shop has corrected the camber/caster, but the driver side still barely touches. going to do it anyways.

If i had to do it again, i would do none of this and just buy some nice rubber for the factory rims and some steel rims for winter tires.
this all started because i could not find any grand cherokee factory take offs to put some winters on.

has anyone ever heard of a 2016 jeep that did not have tpms sensors from factory? did they not make it law or something?

Intercooler is waiting for a free weekend.

Also smelling raw diesel fuel, maybe around the high pressure pump, injectors are all dry. this should be fun.

Ill post these in the wheel thread as well. I hate the white lettering, but don't want to mark up the rims having them flipped, and i am tapped out spending money on this for a bit
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190509_093837.jpg   IMG_20190509_093847.jpg  

post #13 of 39 Old 05-09-2019, 08:27 AM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinmaul View Post
has anyone ever heard of a 2016 jeep that did not have tpms sensors from factory? did they not make it law or something?

Also smelling raw diesel fuel, maybe around the high pressure pump, injectors are all dry. this should be fun.
Definitely mandatory. 2009? Somewhere in there.

Leaking injectors won't show at first. The smell and sound are what gives them away first. Not saying that's what it is. Just an FYI.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,
post #14 of 39 Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerwithhands View Post
Definitely mandatory. 2009? Somewhere in there.

Leaking injectors won't show at first. The smell and sound are what gives them away first. Not saying that's what it is. Just an FYI.
What sound? it does have a clacking sound when you accell hard from idle, almost like a ping or knock. not sure how to explain it other than clickity clack

post #15 of 39 Old 05-09-2019, 03:40 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinmaul View Post
What sound? it does have a clacking sound when you accell hard from idle, almost like a ping or knock. not sure how to explain it other than clickity clack
Should be more of a "chuffing" if its injectors

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in