4Likes
  • 1 Post By Walt
  • 1 Post By rokrau
  • 2 Post By Ahaze

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-18-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Ahaze
2008 WK 

New alternator only charges on first start.

I'm having a strange charging issue on my '08 CRD. My old alternator died. May well have been the original. It had some oil in it and the field coil brushes (or whatever they're called) at the back were worn down to nothing.
Installed a re-man, re-connected the battery, went for a test drive and all seemed well. When I started the Jeep a second time, around 2 hours later, the battery light was back on. Checked battery voltage and sure enough, it wasn't charging.
I disconnected the battery, double checked everything and tried again. Charging perfectly again. Shut it off, wait a minute, re-start, not charging.
I tried this multiple times and it is 100% repeatable. The charging system works perfectly on the first start after disconnecting the battery and does nothing on every subsequent start.
The only thing I could find that was a bit odd is that the PCM is giving the field coils a little over 9 volts after the first start when everything is working and 8 volts after subsequent starts. There's just short of 12 volts there when the engine isn't running.
Any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 04:29 PM
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Mine did the same , been dealing with it for almost a year. Just installed a new ( not rebuilt ) the other day, going to be another week till I try start it.

"Racing makes Heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." -- Peter Egan
post #3 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 06:39 PM
2008CRD

Ahaze I have the same thing happening to mine right now. Changed my alternator and it is hit and miss whether or not it will charge / start. If i find anything it will be passed forward for you.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 07:06 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

The alternator oil shield was replaced as per TSB 09-003-08? Seems too fast for a problem, but it is a good preventive action.

Recommend getting the voltages for battery (engine stopped; open circuit), battery under charge (engine running), and alternator output (engine running).

You might also want to check the current draw when the ignition key is off.

BTW: Mfgr. of new/remanufactured alternator?

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Ahaze
2008 WK 

On the magical first start, all the voltages checked out. I didn't write them down but it was in the high 13s with every high draw electrical item turned on. Difference between voltage at the alternator and at the battery post was minimal. After the second start, voltage at the battery was right around 12 with no accessories on.
Now for some extra weirdness: Last night I cleaned up my orignal alternator with brake parts cleaner swapped the worn out field brush assembly for the one from the re-man and re-installed it. Started the Jeep 3 times over a half hour and all seemed well. This morning however, I was once again greeted by the battery light. Unfortunately, the combination of original alternator with new Chinese re-man spec brushes simply takes slightly longer to anger the PCM into throwing the U1132 code and throwing on the battery light.
I don't remember what brand the alternator was sold under but It has a "remanufactured in China" label on it...
post #6 of 12 Old 06-21-2019, 12:34 AM
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Fingers crossed when I get mine together. Just waiting for my CBE parts to come in, then time to reassemble to see if it works

"Racing makes Heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." -- Peter Egan
post #7 of 12 Old 06-21-2019, 07:24 AM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahaze View Post
On the magical first start, all the voltages checked out. I didn't write them down but it was in the high 13s with every high draw electrical item turned on. Difference between voltage at the alternator and at the battery post was minimal. After the second start, voltage at the battery was right around 12 with no accessories on.
Now for some extra weirdness: Last night I cleaned up my original alternator with brake parts cleaner swapped the worn out field brush assembly for the one from the re-man and re-installed it. Started the Jeep 3 times over a half hour and all seemed well. This morning however, I was once again greeted by the battery light. Unfortunately, the combination of original alternator with new Chinese re-man spec brushes simply takes slightly longer to anger the PCM into throwing the U1132 code and throwing on the battery light.
I don't remember what brand the alternator was sold under but It has a "remanufactured in China" label on it...
DTC U1132 is associated with the alternator charging system. There is a fusible link in the wiring (think under the fuse/relay hardware trays). Verify that it is not partially failed and just not allowing the full charging current through.

Also, check the glow plugs circuit. Try pulling the power to them and running the engine to see if the light extinguishes.

'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-21-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Ahaze
2008 WK 

There are 2 fusible links under the rear most of the two under hood fuse boxes. At least one of them has something to do with the PCM but they both look good. I had actually already disconnected power to the glow plug module on a whim and that didn't help either.
I picked up another re-man alternator from a local starter/alternator shop. If that doesn't fix it, I'll dig into the wiring harness further.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-22-2019, 10:41 AM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
Mine did the same , been dealing with it for almost a year. Just installed a new ( not rebuilt ) the other day, going to be another week till I try start it.
When you say "new" do you mean that it was an OEM or was it a 3rd party new? One has to wonder about the quality of the re-man, alternators. I put one on my rig about a year ago or so. I bought it at NAPA autoparts but did not pay attention to the actual label. I too experienced some problems with it, but not quite the same. Mine OVERCHARGES to the tune of 14.9 to 15.3 volts if I step on the fuel. If I'm just crusing along at 2000 rpm it is fine, but if I step on it a little to go up a steep hill or pass someone, then I get the light and the overcharge. It is always at 14.6, but spikes when you step on it. The overcharge light seems to come on at 14.9

UPDATE... about three weeks ago, I noticed that this behavior mysteriously stopped and my voltage stays at 14.5 most of the time. We even took an RV trip this week dragging the trailer in the mountains with not a single overcharge. Maybe it is getting worn enough to stop the bad behavior??

Anyway.... I'm thinking it is a quality issue with the Re-mans and the 3rd party "new" alternators.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
.... I'm thinking it is a quality issue with the Re-mans and the 3rd party "new" alternators.
I recently had my factory alternator start to fail (190,000 miles / 10+ yrs). Replaced it with a MOPAR re-manufactured unit. None of the symptoms that you reported occurred.

We've seen a surprising number of members report issues with 3rd party new & remanufactured alternators. All-in-all, these WK's seem very sensitive to minor electronics variations. In the past, I have used suppliers like NAPA for replacement parts. Not for this one.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Chirpz likes this.

post #11 of 12 Old 06-23-2019, 12:47 AM
rokrau
2008 WK 

I used a Bosch reman. Cost more than a new after market but works like a charm. I would have bought a brand new Bosch but I couldn’t find one. That thing is supposed to last 8-10 years or 100,000 miles so I personally do not try to save even a hundred dollars if I believe there is a difference in quality.

Good luck.
Chirpz likes this.

--Roland, 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.0 CRD, EHM and TRD
post #12 of 12 Old 06-24-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Ahaze
2008 WK 

Looks like the cheap Chinese re-man alternator was doing something the PCM didn't like. Replaced it with a re-man from a local shop (Cooper Brothers in Edmonton) and all is well again.
jediknight and BadExample like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in