Need advice on WK purchase - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-03-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
optdoug

2006 WK 

Need advice on WK purchase

So I'm looking for a WK to buy and I cam across this one on CL.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5385237428.html
It looks nice and they are in the process of detailing it. The interior looks a little dirty, I think it will cleanup nicely. I checked everything, the transmission, the engine, A/C, lights, seats etc... And it all looks good.

The only problem is a pretty loud hissing coming out of the tail pipe when at full throttle. It does it both on the flat road and going up hill. The dealer said it was from the aftermarket tailpipe that was added on, but I'm not sure. I have never heard that kind of noise before. Antone hear have a WK that makes that noise and can tell me what it might be.

I'm also going to look at this one tomorrow.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5385655200.html
The only problem is it only has the 4.7 V8.

Lastly, I found out that some of the older WK Jeeps have Uconnect on them. Does it work well on the older WK's? I have used it on a few cars that I have rented recently and it works fantastic and I really like it a lot. But 2005-2007 is a looooong time ago when it comes to technology. Any feedback on Uconnect would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Bchain5
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by optdoug View Post
So I'm looking for a WK to buy and I cam across this one on CL.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5385237428.html

It looks nice and they are in the process of detailing it. The interior looks a little dirty, I think it will cleanup nicely. I checked everything, the transmission, the engine, A/C, lights, seats etc... And it all looks good.

The only problem is a pretty loud hissing coming out of the tail pipe when at full throttle. It does it both on the flat road and going up hill. The dealer said it was from the aftermarket tailpipe that was added on, but I'm not sure. I have never heard that kind of noise before. Antone hear have a WK that makes that noise and can tell me what it might be.

I'm also going to look at this one tomorrow.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5385655200.html

The only problem is it only has the 4.7 V8.

Lastly, I found out that some of the older WK Jeeps have Uconnect on them. Does it work well on the older WK's? I have used it on a few cars that I have rented recently and it works fantastic and I really like it a lot. But 2005-2007 is a looooong time ago when it comes to technology. Any feedback on Uconnect would be great.

You make the 4.7 sound like a bad engine when in reality it's a great one! Obviously not as powerful as 5.7 but I feel the 4.7 is adequate for most. As far as the Uconnect it's not unbearable but like you said it is ancient compared to the Uconnect of today. Good luck! You'll love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 7th Jeep, 07 Grand Cherokee QTII 4.7L
#164 of the Silver WK Club
My build http://goo.gl/sr5m5f
post #3 of 15 Old 01-03-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
optdoug

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchain5 View Post
You make the 4.7 sound like a bad engine when in reality it's a great one! Obviously not as powerful as 5.7 but I feel the 4.7 is adequate for most. As far as the Uconnect it's not unbearable but like you said it is ancient compared to the Uconnect of today. Good luck! You'll love it.

I don't really have anything against the 4.7. I even test drove one and they are pretty good if you ask me. The difference is the HP. From what I can tell there is almost 100 HP difference between the two engines. Most of the time I just do highway driving. But sometimes I tow a trailer, and I think the extra HP will make a big difference especially driving over mountains. And the gas mileage seems to be about the same as long as I keep my foot from pushing the pedal to the metal.

I'm still researching the Uconnect on Jeeps older than 2011. It seems like there are some differences like streaming music and apps. Just this last week I rented a 2016 Challenger for a week and really liked the Uconnect. All my music could play and all of my apps like sirius worked great. I have a feeling I won't be able to do any of that with pre 2011 Uconnect

post #4 of 15 Old 01-04-2016, 10:03 AM
smtcapecod

2005 WK 

Be sure to check the sunroof for leaks with a hose or carwash.
Be sure to cycle the HVAC system through all settings- the motors that move the flaps are prone to failure.
Be sure to take a long enough drive to get up to operating temp, and check for any scent of coolant or damp carpet from leaking heater core.
Not a bad idea to have front end checked for wear and tear on balljoints and tie rod ends, unless you are good with doing that after the sale.

Not sure on the hissing...but be sure that the aftermarket tailpipe isn't going to cause problems with your Cali emissions inspection. Perhaps it is of a smaller diameter, or has a failed clamp or weld where it is attached to the rest of the system.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-04-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
optdoug

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtcapecod View Post
Be sure to check the sunroof for leaks with a hose or carwash.
Be sure to cycle the HVAC system through all settings- the motors that move the flaps are prone to failure.
Be sure to take a long enough drive to get up to operating temp, and check for any scent of coolant or damp carpet from leaking heater core.
Not a bad idea to have front end checked for wear and tear on balljoints and tie rod ends, unless you are good with doing that after the sale.

Not sure on the hissing...but be sure that the aftermarket tailpipe isn't going to cause problems with your Cali emissions inspection. Perhaps it is of a smaller diameter, or has a failed clamp or weld where it is attached to the rest of the system.
Thanks for the info.
I did items 2 and 3 on your list. But not 1 and 4. In fact I didn't even think about item 1. However, I did take it on a pretty long drive. I drove from the dealership to my house which is about 7 miles away and about 5 miles of the drive is all up steep hills. The Jeep performed pretty well especially on uturns, uphill climb and bends in the road. The only thing that bothers me is the hissing. And of course the sales guy was no help in locating the noise. But the owner of the lot did come out and say it was definitely the tailpipe causing the noise. But I trust him about as far as I can throw him The HVAC system works great on both the passenger. The fan works on all speeds and it can blow ice cubes on full A/C and blows very hot at max heat.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-04-2016, 11:02 AM
modernblueWK

Does it have an aftermarket muffler on it? Like loud or rumbly exhaust? My wk would make a "rush" type sound out of the exhaust at full throttle with the magnaflow muffler. I think it was the resonator at the back. You might have a crack in the resonator or a hole in the exhaust. Crawl under the back and look at the can at the right rear. I have heard a large aftermarket muffler hiss on an f-150 before. Probably not a difficult fix as long as there are no California emissions issues like has been mentioned. Gotta love those Cali smog laws!!

SOLD 2008 WK 4.7 V8
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Hemi Durango Crew
2007 Silverado Crewcab LT3
post #7 of 15 Old 01-04-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
optdoug

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
Does it have an aftermarket muffler on it? Like loud or rumbly exhaust? My wk would make a "rush" type sound out of the exhaust at full throttle with the magnaflow muffler. I think it was the resonator at the back. You might have a crack in the resonator or a hole in the exhaust. Crawl under the back and look at the can at the right rear. I have heard a large aftermarket muffler hiss on an f-150 before. Probably not a difficult fix as long as there are no California emissions issues like has been mentioned. Gotta love those Cali smog laws!!
It definitely has an aftermarket muffler on it, but I'm not sure which one it has. I suppose it could be leaking. I'll check it out when I go back. Thanks for the advice.

I'm a total noob when it comes to WK's. I'm an old school XJ owner, and those Jeeps don't have half the stuff that WK's have. It's challenging trying to figure everything out. Especially the Uconnect stuff.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-04-2016, 11:54 AM
road_tripper

look at the jeep after sundown. make sure the interior (console) buttons all light up. fiddle with the dash light dimmer and stalk to make sure everything works and doesn't flicker.

when the jeep is cold, pop the hood, start it up and listen for hemi tick (google hemi exhaust manifold for more info).

check the tranny cooler lines and see if they're leaking... might as well check for other leaks while you're under the rig.

at a bare minimum do the 'key dance' (google for more info), but if you can, bring a 'real' code scanner and see what is lurking in the computer systems.

pull the t-handle if it has one, and shift the xfer case into neutral 'if so equipped'.

this is also a good resource TLDR
post #9 of 15 Old 01-04-2016, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
optdoug

2006 WK 

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I guess I'll be learning a lot about the WK's in the coming years. I didn't purchase either of the WK's I had originally posted about yesterday. Instead I got this one.
http://www.stoneridgechryslerjeepdod...33ccc5e0e0.htm
It's in better condition than the others from what I can see. And I have a 30 day warranty as well. I found a few problems with the Jeep when I was looking at it, and they will be repaired in a week or so. The rear hatch shocks are going to be replaced, one or more the the tire pressure sensors and I am getting two new keys because the one they had was pretty worn out. I ended up paying 13.5k after I traded in my old XJ. From what I have seen around here, this one is pretty good. Everything just works! and luckily it was raining when I was there this evening and from what I can tell the sunroof is not leaking at all.

Do you guys think it's worth it to purchase an extended warranty from my credit union?
post #10 of 15 Old 01-05-2016, 07:08 AM
Bchain5
2007 WK 

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I guess I'll be learning a lot about the WK's in the coming years. I didn't purchase either of the WK's I had originally posted about yesterday. Instead I got this one.

It's in better condition than the others from what I can see. And I have a 30 day warranty as well. I found a few problems with the Jeep when I was looking at it, and they will be repaired in a week or so. The rear hatch shocks are going to be replaced, one or more the the tire pressure sensors and I am getting two new keys because the one they had was pretty worn out. I ended up paying 13.5k after I traded in my old XJ. From what I have seen around here, this one is pretty good. Everything just works! and luckily it was raining when I was there this evening and from what I can tell the sunroof is not leaking at all.

Do you guys think it's worth it to purchase an extended warranty from my credit union?

That's a tough one. I'd say just put whatever money that warranty cost aside and have it as a rainy day fund. Just my .02 because I sell for FCA and know they gouge people with those warranties

But that Jeep is beautiful! Really makes me wish I'd gotten an overland

post #11 of 15 Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 AM
ruggedscotsman
2007 WK 

Quote:

How much for the warranty and how comprehensive? I got one with my crd and it's already paid for itself between a glow plug module and a turbo actuator....
post #12 of 15 Old 01-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Bchain5
2007 WK 

Also how many miles on your Jeep?

post #13 of 15 Old 01-05-2016, 09:40 AM
modernblueWK

Looks great!

SOLD 2008 WK 4.7 V8
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Hemi Durango Crew
2007 Silverado Crewcab LT3
post #14 of 15 Old 01-06-2016, 05:48 AM
rsurran

2013 JK Wrangler 

Get the warranty. At least on the drive train. If you have a catastrophic failure on the engine or trans you will be in the thousands of dollars before you know it. You are getting into the mileage where things happen. This has the same mileage as my 2005 and I worry about things that a warranty would cover. My warranty expired at 125K. Our Jeeps are great but they are really expensive to fix in the drive train. Consider it peace of mind insurance. Welcome and enjoy you Jeep.

2003 TJ 4.0L Freedom Edition, Flame Red, 5 spd., CAI, Warn, stinger, Hella/KC trail lights.
2013 JK Sport Black, Auto Trans, Bone Stock

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
post #15 of 15 Old 01-06-2016, 06:33 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:

Nice looking vehicle. It depends on what the extended warranty covers. At ten years of age small parts and fluids (wheel bearings, CV axles, belts, tpms sensors, exhaust manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, radiator, brakes, brake rotors, brake pads, transmission fluid, differential fluid, transfer case fluid, radiator fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc) will need to be replaced simply because of age and use. This will be your largest expense provided the core parts of the vehicle have been properly maintained and on schedule. See below.

Engine, transmission, transfer case, and differentials are the core and most expensive components. See if you can get the service history on fluid changes for these items.

In my opinion, if these core parts have been serviced properly the vehicle should last a long time. If not, you may experience expensive problems between 150,000 and 200,000 miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in