Mygig REN dvd drive replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 11-01-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Greever
2008 WK 

Mygig REN dvd drive replacement

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2008 4.7 WK Limited with 109k miles on it.

After getting it home and playing with a few of the options, I discovered that the DVD drive wouldn't accept CD/DVD's. After some internet searching and prodding, I discovered there was a CD stuck in the drive. After some fancy tweezer work, I was able to remove the stuck CD. Unfortunately after removing the CD, the drive constantly kept trying to eject/pull in a CD (the rollers were constantly running).

Did some digging into getting a new mygig, and my jaw hit the floor when I saw the $500-900 price of a new/refurbished replacement. Other then the CD/DVD drive problem, the mygig worked fine. So I started to search on how to repair or even replace just the drive unit.

Through some searching I was able to find a guide on how to dismantle the entire unit. After more searching I found a parts list for the unit. With even more searching I was able to find a replacement drive!

The drive cost me $130 and $15 shipping and took about 2 weeks to arrive. I was able to remove, dismantle, re-assemble and re-install it in about an hour and a half this morning and now it works perfectly.

I wanted to make a guide/collection of information on this topic since I found in my searching that quite a few people have run into a problem with their CD/DVD drive. Hopefully it will save the headache or wallet-ache of replacing their mygig unit.

First and foremost, the link to dismantling the mygig REN model:

http://www.allpar.com/stereo/MyGIG-REN/

In the following quote, I am going to post the information directly concerning removing the CD/DVD drive. The link contains step by step instructions on how to fully dismantle the REN mygig unit. All information in this quote is credited to the original author, Jeremy Schrag.

Quote:
Tools : Torx T-8 screw driver or socket.

Here's a look at the back panel. Red arrows indicate two of the four screws that hold the DVD drive to the top cover. Remember those - we'll be removing them shortly. Blue arrows indicate two of the screws you will need to remove to get the mainboard out.

This is the top panel. The whole panel swivels up and back as an assembly, and is held in place by the red arrowed screws.

For reference, I'll show you the side panels now. There are no screws we need to be concerned with yet on either side, but these pictures will show you how the various clips and tabs go together.

Remove the two screws up by the faceplate, and it just unclips and flips back like this. You can then easily remove the top cover and DVD drive as an assembly. That ribbon cable can be disconnected on either end... down by the mainboard, it is simply secured by a press fit connector. Unplug and go. But on the DVD drive end, it is secured by a connector with a flip catch. Just flip the black part of the connector up, and pull the cable out.

Red arrows indicate the four screws that must be removed to get the drive out. It is not necessary to remove the drive unless you want to clean the laser, but I will do so for the sake of better access for pictures. (***The 2 screws that the red arrows are pointing too in the back of the unit are the 2 screws shown on the back of the housing in the earlier picture.***)
The one thing he doesn't show is how to remove the drive from the housing once the 4 screws are out.

On the front (side where the CD/DVD inserts), and back there are a total of 4 "dimples". All you have to do is gently(so you don't warp the housing) pry the housing away from the drive on either side while lifting the drive and it should come right out.

This is the front side. The red circles are the "dimples" while the green circles are the screw holes.

This is the back side. Again the red circles are the dimples and the green circles are the screw holes.

Next up, my resource page: http://www.wkjeeps.com/Mygig_parts.htm

On this page, you can get the parts number for your model mygig. Knowing the part number for the mygig will make finding a replacement drive much easier. Every time I tried to search for replacement parts for the REN, 99% of the time my search results led me to a new or refurbished mygig unit. Using the part number I was able to find a replacement CD/DVD drive on ebay from the user house_car_technology.

Hope this helps anyone with a faulty DVD/CD drive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-02-2014, 03:09 PM
pawwright

Very nice write-up. Hope I never have to replace, but with my radio as wonky as it is... I know I'm just dreaming

Tags
mygig , radio swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in