At my wits end... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-19-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
echarpie
2007 WK 

At my wits end...

I am in need of some help identifying a clunking noise on the front passenger side of my jeep. It has been happening for months and I've slowly but surely replaced bushings and parts hoping it would go away, but to no avail. I am not totally familiar with the WK, but I love it and want to get this thing fixed. I have had zero issues with the motor or transmission and everything is running smoothly but this clunking is driving me insane.

It is a 2007 WK with 123,000 miles on it, 3.7L engine, 4wd.

Here is what I've done so far:

Replaced leaking oil pan and gasket/plate
Removed front differential and replaced all 3 bushings and CV axle seals
Replaced drivers side CV shaft (because I destroyed it removing it when I was taking out the differential)
Replaced both upper control arms
Replaced both lower control arm clevis bolt bushings (that was a total nightmare, had to air chisel out the old ones after cutting the bolt on both sides)
All new ball joints in the front (top and bottom)
Replaced sway bar bushings
Replaced sway bar linkages on both sides
Replaced struts and shocks
Replaced exhaust and exhaust mounts

The clunking happens anywhere from 5-35 mph when I'm going over bumps on normal roads. Highway driving is smooth and clunk free unless I hit a really hard bump. The steering is nice and tight, makes no noise whatsoever, and I don't feel anything through the steering wheel (so I kind of ruled out anything in that department). The shifting and transmission are very smooth and noise/clunk free, and I don't feel anything through the shifter (again, kind of ruled anything out in that department as well).

I don't know where to go from here as I'm at a total loss. If anyone has any experience with this and can lead me down the right path as to other things I could check, that would be great.

I uploaded the video to youtube from my gopro (attached to the front bumper facing backwards) which catches the clunking noise very well. It starts at the 25 second mark and finishes clunking around the 35 second mark. I don't have enough posts to be able to link to the video so I could send it privately if anyone can watch it for me.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 08:02 AM
sthomas911
2005 WK 

Total shot in the dark here, but maybe worth checking the tie rod ends? I have a diff make/model car that had a clunking noise under the front end and it turned out to be coming from the tie rods ends.
Feel free to PM me the video link.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Joenavy85
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthomas911 View Post
Total shot in the dark here, but maybe worth checking the tie rod ends?
This would be my guess as well, on that note, I'm changing out the ones on my 05 Liberty this weekend, for the same reason. Also look at the lower control arm bushings to see if they are worn out at all (unless I just missed reading that part)

post #4 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 08:49 AM
99sajeep

2005 WK 

When replacing your shocks/struts up front, did you make sure that the nut on the top strut mount was tight? And by tight, I mean torqued to spec? If it's any bit loose, you'll definitely hear it on bumps. Did you replace the top strut mounts with new?

'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 200k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)
post #5 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
echarpie
2007 WK 

I did check that bolt, but that was the fall of last year so maybe I'll check it again. And I did not replace the strut mounts at the time. ****. lol.

And JoeNavy85 - I did replace the bushing that the strut clevis connects to, but not the other two on the arms of the lower control arm. I would have to cut off the whole control arm and bolts to remove them. Those two bolts in the frame of the jeep that are holding the lower control arm are not going anywhere without being sawed off.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 12:25 PM
consumedbywater

Garage
I have a clunk in my front end from the steering rack, so you may want to check that as well. Over time the rack loosened up enough that there's almost 2" of vertical play at the inner tie rod end.

There are also few symptoms in steering feel that would've caused me to look there; everything still feels relatively tight.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 01:35 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Which front struts did you use? I don't know about other brands but with Bilsteins you need to install the washer on the strut before the mount and it's easy to miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sajeep View Post
When replacing your shocks/struts up front, did you make sure that the nut on the top strut mount was tight? And by tight, I mean torqued to spec? If it's any bit loose, you'll definitely hear it on bumps. Did you replace the top strut mounts with new?
Not just torqued to spec, tightened until it stops moving and then torqued to spec. If the spring isn't compressed completely out of the way then you could hit the torque spec before things are actually tightened properly. Even then if the strut mounts are old they could be torn and sloppy.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #8 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 04:56 PM
YouStupidBunny

2007 XK Commander 

I had the same problem. What you describe sounds like one or both of your front isolator bushings is bad.

Remove the front skid plate and have a look above your front diff. There is a passenger and driver side bushing. The passenger side bushing should be easily visible on top of the diff. Driver side bushing is also above the diff, but harder to see above and forward of the front drive shaft.

It's not always easy to see a bad bushing. Get it up on jack stands, get under it, and push it up. If it moves and clunks, there's the problem. There are step by step tutorials on YouTube. It took me about 2-3 hours to complete the job.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
echarpie
2007 WK 

I just replaced all 3 differential bushings 2 weeks ago
post #10 of 13 Old 11-27-2019, 12:18 AM
atarijedi
2008 WK 

Did you ever figure out the issue? I've started to get a clunking lately, not sure what is causing it. Trying to come up with a list of things to check out.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-29-2019, 10:44 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarijedi View Post
Did you ever figure out the issue? I've started to get a clunking lately, not sure what is causing it. Trying to come up with a list of things to check out.
Hello atarijedi,
Let us know if you decide to address this concern with your dealer, as we will gladly assist you during that process. We are only a private message away.
Laura
JeepCares
post #12 of 13 Old 11-30-2019, 03:49 PM
mb81
2006 WK 

I second that. I did a lot of the same swapping, including the steering rack, until finally arrived at my seemingly fine outer tie rods. No more clunking when turning out of or pulling into my driveway.

2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 HEMI
post #13 of 13 Old 11-30-2019, 04:50 PM
jimcrd
2014 WK 

May be your strut bushings. They are known to either clunk or squeek. I had to replace them after I did my front struts in my WK...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in