My roof rack - JeepForum.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-09-2020, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
My roof rack

I have been dropping some of this in the "what did you do to your WK today" thread. I am still not done but its coming together.

Lighting in action!

Thinking it will be coated in bedliner to match my sliders and eventually my rear bumper.

40" light bar installed! FYI, the plywood wood fairing is only a place holder. I got lucky with a guy who owns a laser table helping me out through a friend of mine on the side plates. I'm not one to exploit generosity so now I am using a wood CNC table to cut the 1/8" aluminum fairing because its whats immediately available to me. We used that table to generate this prototype to verify the design and fitment. And its made... so its up there. Honestly, I am almost ready to throw some bedliner on it and few would be the wiser at this point. I do have the aluminum for the fairing and will eventually get it done, I just have to get some other projects needing my attention.

Wiring... This SUCKED! ugh.

The MLC-6 is a 6 circuit relay and fuse box. I have it wired up to my own switches and not the ones that came with it.

ITS ALIVE!

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-11-2020, 09:33 PM
JeepN_A_CJ7

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Did you make your rear tire carrier?

Always Jeepin!

*2007 WK QDII HEMI
*1980 CJ7 4.2L w/FAST FI

Silver WK Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-12-2020, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN_A_CJ7 View Post
Did you make your rear tire carrier?
I did. It has served its purpose for a year and a half or so but it is getting weaker to the point that my next project is a full, high clearance rear bumper with dual swing arms. I have a dune trip the first weekend in April and it has to be done before then!

I built some 2x4 .375 wall rectangular tubing mounts that I welded to the ends of the sheet metal crash structure. The crash structure, despite being strong, is still just sheet metal. This weighs close to 200lbs with the weight of itself, the wheel and tire and my 2 jerry cans filled up. That is a LOT of weight to be throwing around welded to sheet metal.
JeepN_A_CJ7 likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-12-2020, 02:42 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

It'll look cool bedlined, but I love the look of the bare metal as well.
2005JGC likes this.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #5 of 16 Old 03-12-2020, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
I love the suggestion @underscore .

The bed liner is going to cover a multitude of sins hahaha. Unlike Prinsu who press brakes their mounts from the side plates, I don't have the tooling, equipment, or, lets face it... the skill to bend mounts had I built them into my side plates the same way. With the factory rack being held in by 2 riv-nuts at each corner. All 4 bends would have to be 100% perfect so that I didn't have any awkward forces on the riv-nuts pulling one up out of the roof because I didn't line the press brake up perfect and now there is a 1/8" gap between one of the riv-nuts and the rack. That is why I went with the method I did. Bolt on plates on so they are exactly where they need to be with no weird forces, set the rack on it then weld them up. I am still pleased with the plan but also realize, I cannot tig weld or run a spool gun like the professionals on tv. I can run a decent bead with the spool gun but the last thing I want to do is defile the perfect, laser cut shape of the side plate. The plan is to weld the inside corner where the side plate rests on the mount plate, then apply a little body filler to the tiny little gap on the outside so its smooth then bed line it.

I also think if I had an overland with the brushed trim it would look killer up there almost matching the rest of the trim. I feel like it doesn't fit THIS jeep as well keeping it bare and the black would make it fit better.

post #6 of 16 Old 03-12-2020, 07:01 PM
nick613

Really nice. I like how it's low profile and uses almost all the space on the roof. Going to do something similar on my ZJ

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
2005JGC likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-12-2020, 10:39 PM
JeepN_A_CJ7

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Will you have a schematic or drawing for this new dual swing arm design? If so would you mind sharing because I'd love to get something like that made for my WK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
I did. It has served its purpose for a year and a half or so but it is getting weaker to the point that my next project is a full, high clearance rear bumper with dual swing arms. I have a dune trip the first weekend in April and it has to be done before then!

I built some 2x4 .375 wall rectangular tubing mounts that I welded to the ends of the sheet metal crash structure. The crash structure, despite being strong, is still just sheet metal. This weighs close to 200lbs with the weight of itself, the wheel and tire and my 2 jerry cans filled up. That is a LOT of weight to be throwing around welded to sheet metal.

Always Jeepin!

*2007 WK QDII HEMI
*1980 CJ7 4.2L w/FAST FI

Silver WK Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-14-2020, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN_A_CJ7 View Post
Will you have a schematic or drawing for this new dual swing arm design? If so would you mind sharing because I'd love to get something like that made for my WK!

I plan on using CAD (Cardboard Aided Design - Matt, bleepinjeep). Once its done I may post up some of my steps as well as some dimensions and parts I used. I planned on working on this project through spring break (I work at a school). We are closed now and no one is supposed to be in the building. I am off till April first (at least) and wont be able to work on the bumper project.

post #9 of 16 Old 03-14-2020, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Couple more pictures after some color (or lack there of)...

IT FITS!!! Looks like I have room to fit as least a 34" tire and keep parking in the garage! I was initially parked on the other side of the garage and has my wife spot while I was pulling it out. She started yelling stop like a foot before the box was at the door seal. I kept going ignoring her knowing my measurements told me I SHOULD make it. I rubbed most of the way out on her side, never very bad though.
underscore and Raffish like this.

post #10 of 16 Old 03-26-2020, 02:46 AM
JeepinCali408

Garage
Awesome rack and I love your sliders as well! I wish there was as much after market support for the grand cherokee as there is for wranglers. I read that you made those sliders yourself... any chance that you make them for fellow GC owners?
post #11 of 16 Old 03-26-2020, 04:36 AM
bookdoug

Nice clean looking roof rack and sliders. What size material did you use for the tube sliders? And where/what were your attachment points? Did you weld them yourself? I had steps on the WK when I bought it but removed them because they got in the way. Yet where they were attached seem like a spot where they could get hung-up on some rocks. So Iím looking for what others have done. I need sliders to double as steps but just havenít found the time to design and build a mock up yet. A clean professional looking job on the lighting. Would be real handy for camping and search and rescue. Ever thought of mounting a telescopic pole with strong lighting mounted on top to light a larger ground area? BTW, what do you use all that lighting for?

I like your tire rack, up high and to one side, so you still have a view behind you. I have a 2000 WK v8, 2.5 lift, Brillsteinís 5100 shocks, Cooper A/T tires. I wanted to use the tire space above the gas tank for my recover gear, protected and out of the way unless needed. Why do you want to swing the opening both ways? I built a rack that attaches to the jeep without cutting into the rear bumper in case I wanted to sell it at some point. It holds 2 jerry cans, tire and hi-lift jack. Has additional rear tail lights and a lighted license plate mounted. It could be designed to hold 4 jerry cans if wanted. As well as open from both sides if needed. The rear glass opens to gain access to rear compartment. And it can be removed in about 5 minutes by one guy. Of course being empty would help.

The love we show others reflects our realization of what God's grace has done for us. Luke 7:36-50
post #12 of 16 Old 03-26-2020, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCali408 View Post
Awesome rack and I love your sliders as well! I wish there was as much after market support for the grand cherokee as there is for wranglers. I read that you made those sliders yourself... any chance that you make them for fellow GC owners?
Thank you @JeepinCali408 !

There is potential. The biggest problem is cost. Cost for materials and consumables, cost for my time, cost for finishing (or not), cost to my family by not being home. I am not a professional fabricator so things take a bit longer. I don't get materials for a good cost... I have searched high and low for better pricing and it is just not available to joe schmoe. The .188 wall steel used for the whole thing is spendy and IIRC ran me just over 300 dollars (maybe just under) for the steel alone. Then labor to get everthing cut up, ground up and welded up... A pro could probably make it worth his time even at 300 in material and have each set of sliders done in an hour or 2... I would be 3 or 4 hours per set doing a few sets at a time (duplicating steps) and there is just not much room for profit, especially after factoring in shipping on 5'long .188 wall sliders (long and heavy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookdoug View Post
Nice clean looking roof rack and sliders. What size material did you use for the tube sliders? And where/what were your attachment points? Did you weld them yourself? I had steps on the WK when I bought it but removed them because they got in the way. Yet where they were attached seem like a spot where they could get hung-up on some rocks. So Iím looking for what others have done. I need sliders to double as steps but just havenít found the time to design and build a mock up yet. A clean professional looking job on the lighting. Would be real handy for camping and search and rescue. Ever thought of mounting a telescopic pole with strong lighting mounted on top to light a larger ground area? BTW, what do you use all that lighting for?

I like your tire rack, up high and to one side, so you still have a view behind you. I have a 2000 WK v8, 2.5 lift, Brillsteinís 5100 shocks, Cooper A/T tires. I wanted to use the tire space above the gas tank for my recover gear, protected and out of the way unless needed. Why do you want to swing the opening both ways? I built a rack that attaches to the jeep without cutting into the rear bumper in case I wanted to sell it at some point. It holds 2 jerry cans, tire and hi-lift jack. Has additional rear tail lights and a lighted license plate mounted. It could be designed to hold 4 jerry cans if wanted. As well as open from both sides if needed. The rear glass opens to gain access to rear compartment. And it can be removed in about 5 minutes by one guy. Of course being empty would help.
Thank you @bookdoug !

See above for some of the slider info. Stuff I didn't answer above: I did weld them up myself, They are welded on the side of the main structural rails on each side. I previously had the mopar sliders that basically hung down just below the rocker cover and didn't stick out at all. The were horrible. We already have poor ground clearance and only REALLY expensive options for more ground clearance so it killed me to have these things hanging down 3" down. The ones I made, I actually cut slots into the pinch weld and folded it over so the mounts could sit up even tighter against the jeep and I also had to cut about 1.5" off of the rocker covers all in the name of sucking them up tight against the jeep.

As far as the lighting, I LOVE night wheeling and I also do a "man camp" 3-4 times a year where me and my buddies are out dispersed camping at night and hitting trails during the day. Having the lighting to illuminate my camping space is nice when ya need it. But its also nice to have on the trails or on the dunes to see where you are going, and what is going on around you. The bigger front lighting is better for the dunes, I don't typically need the sun shining in front of me on a trail when I am usually not ever lead (regularly actually bringing up the tail). The pod lights in the grill have been cut out and are gone. I had them for a long time and they were just one more thing to cut out and figure out a grill solution that I didnt have done when I took the last pictures. That's all done now.

For the planned dual swing arm. I do park this in the garage (as you can see in the pictures). It is nice to be able to load up in the winter with the jeep in the garage. With the single swing arm, I can get it open on the left side of the garage, but then it is inches from my tool box and I cannot get around it, and it doesn't have room to open on the right side of the garage with the sink and refrigerator. As much as it would be nice to be able to access the back of the jeep easier in the garage, it is also nice to think about the swing arm not sticking out into traffic 4' when I am in a parking lot. It would also reduce leverage that would lead to fatigue and failure of the bumper supporting 90lbs of jerry cans, mounts and fuel on one side and the 90lb spare wheel and tire on the other. Plus overland points bro ! I have been keeping my eye open on the right fleetwood evolution E1 tent trailer for the family so I don't want to take up the receiver for the swing arm. Trying to figure out if I can use some of this shelter in place time to get started on the bumper build, we will see.

As far as your rig, you want to use under the jeep to store recovery gear? I saw a spare tire storage solution one time a local youtuber mentioned in a video. Ill get a hold of him because I looked it up and couldn't find it anywhere. It is basically something you can use the spare tire winch to pull it up into the space. My biggest problem with that for myself is that its just one more step to get to the stuff... Snatch straps get used quite a bit in deep snow and mud. Its nice to have the quickest, easiest access to the goods. Especially if you get stuck, it would suck to have the carrier buried in the mud or under water that you get to swim in to get it out.

Your rig sounds like fun! I would be interested to see your spare tire solution!
SillyDude likes this.

post #13 of 16 Old 03-26-2020, 06:39 PM
JeepinCali408

Garage
There is potential. The biggest problem is cost. Cost for materials and consumables, cost for my time, cost for finishing (or not), cost to my family by not being home. I am not a professional fabricator so things take a bit longer. I don't get materials for a good cost... I have searched high and low for better pricing and it is just not available to joe schmoe. The .188 wall steel used for the whole thing is spendy and IIRC ran me just over 300 dollars (maybe just under) for the steel alone. Then labor to get everthing cut up, ground up and welded up... A pro could probably make it worth his time even at 300 in material and have each set of sliders done in an hour or 2... I would be 3 or 4 hours per set doing a few sets at a time (duplicating steps) and there is just not much room for profit, especially after factoring in shipping on 5'long .188 wall sliders (long and heavy).

Yeah I get that completely... if you do get more interest from other wk owners and decide to run off a few sets, you can put me down for a set. I live in CA and could arrange a trip up the west coast to avoid the shipping challenge.
2005JGC likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-26-2020, 07:46 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
I agree completely on the dual versus single swing arm. Trailering, parking lot, garage, fatigue on hinges; all great points that I chose to follow, as well. I would love to be using this quarantine time to finish my bumper build, all I need is some grinding and painting for the main and to build the driver side swing arm, but I was in a motorcycle accident just before this really started freaking everyone out. So I can't walk for another 3 months.

About the spare tire area. I've gone back and forth on whether or not to use the winch for what I will store there. My plan for the spare tire spot is this:

Auxiliary battery
Auxiliary fuse/relay box
On board air compressor
Air tank

That'll pretty much fill it up. I'm leaning more towards just yanking the spare winch out. I keep my recovery gear in a gorilla box.
2005JGC likes this.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,
post #15 of 16 Old 03-26-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerwithhands View Post
I agree completely on the dual versus single swing arm. Trailering, parking lot, garage, fatigue on hinges; all great points that I chose to follow, as well. I would love to be using this quarantine time to finish my bumper build, all I need is some grinding and painting for the main and to build the driver side swing arm, but I was in a motorcycle accident just before this really started freaking everyone out. So I can't walk for another 3 months.

About the spare tire area. I've gone back and forth on whether or not to use the winch for what I will store there. My plan for the spare tire spot is this:

Auxiliary battery
Auxiliary fuse/relay box
On board air compressor
Air tank

That'll pretty much fill it up. I'm leaning more towards just yanking the spare winch out. I keep my recovery gear in a gorilla box.
I am sorry to hear about the accident, but by the sounds of it, happy to hear you are alive!!!

I dig your plans for the spare tire area, I am debating on that area myself. When I build the bumper, I actually want to cut the slider/crash braces out. I have never actually slid mine against anything. With the lift, they are hardly going to hit the rear axle in a crash anyway. Also, with a steel bumper back there, if I ever did drop down onto the bumper, the bumper should slide as well as anything to get me off. It looks like there is plenty of structure remaining for the track bar so it shouldn't be too bad to cut them out. I also don't like how they hang down so much with a shorter bumper has them hanging down way low and they are an eyesore (to me). At the same time, they would be very useful to protect all of the things you want to put back there. Onboard air and a tank would be REALLY nice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in