My Jeep will only work in 4wd low - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By yzjwk
  • 2 Post By 2005JGC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-04-2021, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Jradway719

My Jeep will only work in 4wd low

Hello everyone, I’m in a unique scenario here. I recently just changed my drivers side CV axle in my 2006 Grand Cherokee Laredo with a Quadra drive 2 4wd system. After replacing the axle, it drove great for a few miles. As I got on one of the busier roads, I noticed an odd noise almost like he plastic in my fender well was catching. I hopped out and i didn’t see anything caught on the wheel. I hopped back in and tried to put it in drive and all my car did was rev up, acting like it was shifted into neutral. I couldn’t leave it on the side of the road, so I got the idea to switch it into 4wd low. Surely enough it worked until I received a “service 4wd” message on m dash. After it popped up, even in 4 low, it acted like it was in neutral. Any ideas? Is there a chance I installed the front axle wrong? Or could it be something far more expensive? Any advice or tips are much appreciated!
Thanks
J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-04-2021, 04:21 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jradway719 View Post
Hello everyone, I’m in a unique scenario here. I recently just changed my drivers side CV axle in my 2006 Grand Cherokee Laredo with a Quadra drive 2 4wd system. After replacing the axle, it drove great for a few miles. As I got on one of the busier roads, I noticed an odd noise almost like he plastic in my fender well was catching. I hopped out and i didn’t see anything caught on the wheel. I hopped back in and tried to put it in drive and all my car did was rev up, acting like it was shifted into neutral. I couldn’t leave it on the side of the road, so I got the idea to switch it into 4wd low. Surely enough it worked until I received a “service 4wd” message on m dash. After it popped up, even in 4 low, it acted like it was in neutral. Any ideas? Is there a chance I installed the front axle wrong? Or could it be something far more expensive? Any advice or tips are much appreciated!
Thanks
J
I would guess You probably didnt seat the axle properly. If you break an axle, differential or driveshaft, you have no drive with this 4x4 system except for 4low which locks the transfer case.
underscore and 2005JGC like this.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #3 of 4 Old 05-04-2021, 11:10 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Are you sure you have the correct axle?

IIRC, the non ELSD has a longer stub shaft on the drivers side than the elsd axle. This would do a couple things, it wouldn't seal (so you will have fluid leaking) and it wouldn't seat and hold itself where it belongs. Verify the part number you have. Even asking for the correct axle in my neck of the woods in no guarantee that the parts guy sold the right axle.

Otherwise, 100% what yzjwk said, the circlip on the end of the axle didn't get in as far as it needed to and the axle is pulling out of the differential.
yzjwk and underscore like this.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...

post #4 of 4 Old Today, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Jradway719

Update: I pulled the axle again today to check and compared it to the old stub. Turns out that I had the wrong axle, The stub in the one I had just replaced was too short, ended up going to a different parts store and got the correct one and swapped it. I originally decided to swap it after I heard an odd grinding/clunking noise and noticed that my boot was torn on my old one. Well now that I’ve replaced it, the sound still hasn’t gone away when I drive, leaving me to wonder if it’s coming from my front diff, front drive shaft, or my T-case. I’m gonna throw it on jackstands tomorrow and see if I can pinpoint the noise. Does anyone else have experience with this odd grinding/clunking?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in