My 2008 WK CRD started by it's self !! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-17-2021, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Roadcracks

2008 WK 

Garage
My 2008 WK CRD started by it's self !!

Hello, I'm new to Jeeps [just bought a 2008 WK CRD] as well as this forum.
This is what happened today. I drove from my house to town about 30 miles. Did a bit of shopping and drove home. Nothing abnormal happened, I did pass a few slow moving cars so I went from 45 mph to 85 mph in a hurry and then cruised at 70 for a few more miles. I arrived home unloaded the groceries, moved the Grand Cherokee to it's parking space and turned it off, took out the key put it in my pocket. I believe you cannot take the key out unless the engine is turned off. I then went into my machine shop to clean up. About 30 minutes later walked over to my house and realized the rig was running. The doors were locked and it was idling normally. I unlocked it, put key into slot and message came up 'turn key to on' might have also said 'do not start engine' but I cannot remember exactly, I was a bit flustered. I then turned the key to off the engine stopped. I restarted it again right away. Left it running for a couple of minutes and then shut it off. The vehicle does NOT have remote start at least there is no key for a remote and nothing to indicate that it does have a remote. Could it have run a DPF regen by it's self ??
Just start itself while no one was watching !!! How about a glitch or fault in the ignition switch. Seems to me there might have been a recall on ignition switch in 2008.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Peter

Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length. Robert Frost American Poet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-18-2021, 05:43 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Does your key look like this? That circle icon is the remote start button. There's also a module that can be purchased that enables factory remote start by pressing the lock button 3 times.
Attached Thumbnails
new_iyzc01c_jeep_5btn_fobik-Je-2_1631965481908.jpg  

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #3 of 6 Old 09-18-2021, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Roadcracks

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray203m View Post
Does your key look like this? That circle icon is the remote start button. There's also a module that can be purchased that enables factory remote start by pressing the lock button 3 times.
Thanks for the help.
Do you mean the circle with the arrow and the 2X ?
Was this an option?
I'll also read the owners manual about the key fob.
If all else fails read the instructions.

Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length. Robert Frost American Poet.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-18-2021, 10:36 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcracks View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the help.
Do you mean the circle with the arrow and the 2X ?
Was this an option?
I'll also read the owners manual about the key fob.
If all else fails read the instructions.
Yes the circle button with the arrow and 2X is for factory remote start

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #5 of 6 Old 09-18-2021, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Roadcracks

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Yes the circle button with the arrow and 2X is for factory remote start
As you said the key fob has a remote start function. Sorry I feel a bit stupid for not reading the owners manual before asking a question

post #6 of 6 Old 09-20-2021, 09:57 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcracks View Post
Hello, I'm new to Jeeps [just bought a 2008 WK CRD] as well as this forum.
This is what happened today. I drove from my house to town about 30 miles. Did a bit of shopping and drove home. Nothing abnormal happened, I did pass a few slow moving cars so I went from 45 mph to 85 mph in a hurry and then cruised at 70 for a few more miles. I arrived home unloaded the groceries, moved the Grand Cherokee to it's parking space and turned it off, took out the key put it in my pocket. I believe you cannot take the key out unless the engine is turned off. I then went into my machine shop to clean up. About 30 minutes later walked over to my house and realized the rig was running. The doors were locked and it was idling normally. I unlocked it, put key into slot and message came up 'turn key to on' might have also said 'do not start engine' but I cannot remember exactly, I was a bit flustered. I then turned the key to off the engine stopped. I restarted it again right away. Left it running for a couple of minutes and then shut it off. The vehicle does NOT have remote start at least there is no key for a remote and nothing to indicate that it does have a remote. Could it have run a DPF regen by it's self ??
Just start itself while no one was watching !!! How about a glitch or fault in the ignition switch. Seems to me there might have been a recall on ignition switch in 2008.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Peter
Hi Roadcracks,
You can use the link below to check for open recalls for your vehicle or send us a message via private message with your VIN.
https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

Rob
Jeep Cares

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in