Most comfortable riding suspension - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By yzjwk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-16-2020, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Th0r
2009 WK 

Most comfortable riding suspension

I recently put on the OME HD lift to replace my RC lift. My front shocks were leaking so figured I'd just do a proper lift this time around when I had it all apart. At the same time I also went from some 305 LT Mud tires to some much softer 275 P Metric AT's, so I was expecting a much more comfortable ride. I did not get that. It's stiff as hell. It's planted and handles very well, but I've put about 600 miles on it in the past two weeks and I really need another option because it's just too firm. Even the wife said "I thought you said you were getting a nicer lift" so I know it's not just me expecting something different, haha.

Now full disclosure, one of my shocks is defective and I'm waiting on a replacement but I don't have faith that is the problem I'm feeling. This feels like spring rate. Not enough give. Trying to get some info ahead of time so I know what route I'm going if the new shock doesn't make everything better.

For those that have experienced both the OME HD and MD springs, how much softer are the MD springs? For those that have experience with stock springs and 5100s and any OME lift, how did they differ?

Most my time is spent on the highway but I have the lift for high water and mud in some of my hunting and shooting areas. Off-road "performance" isn't something I really need in a suspension, just the height. I'm considering going back the the RC lift with stock springs and maybe trying out Koni Special Active shocks (open to other recommendations) if the other options all ride like bricks.

I also see H&R offers lift springs, but I can't find much info on them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-16-2020, 10:01 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Do you have any weight added to the front end like a bumper and winch? If not the HD springs will be far too stiff. Somewhere in the forum there's a listing of the springs rates for stock, OME MD and HD, and the two options from Dobinson.

Which shocks do you have with the HD springs? Stock-spec replacement springs (get rid of any sag and weakness from the old springs) with 5100s and the RC spacer in the rear is probably the cushiest ride but talk to @Kolak to be sure.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #3 of 10 Old 02-17-2020, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Th0r
2009 WK 

I've been looking for the spring rate list. Saw it a while back just browsing around but of course now that I could use it I have been unable to find it again, lol.

I talked with Kolak and got the HD from him. Complete OME spring and shock kit. Based on my tire size and the RC lift it seemed like the best option. I do have the V8 so was hoping the weight would be sufficient. He didn't steer me wrong. It handles way better than the stock stuff for sure. It's just my personal preference. If I wasn't frequently spending 3 hours on the interstate it probably wouldn't bother me. I wouldn't mind a little float!

post #4 of 10 Old 02-17-2020, 06:52 PM
Armor_LG
2010 WK 

Definately King shocks as the nicest riding, but they're gonna cost you. MD springs are softer as well

Black WK #180

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-18-2020, 02:39 PM
Raffish
2005 WK 

I've had MD and HD OME springs in the front with not much added weight and could hardly tell the difference...

I'd love to see the actual specs..

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms
post #6 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 09:38 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0r View Post
I recently put on the OME HD lift to replace my RC lift. My front shocks were leaking so figured I'd just do a proper lift this time around when I had it all apart. At the same time I also went from some 305 LT Mud tires to some much softer 275 P Metric AT's, so I was expecting a much more comfortable ride. I did not get that. It's stiff as hell. It's planted and handles very well, but I've put about 600 miles on it in the past two weeks and I really need another option because it's just too firm. Even the wife said "I thought you said you were getting a nicer lift" so I know it's not just me expecting something different, haha.

Now full disclosure, one of my shocks is defective and I'm waiting on a replacement but I don't have faith that is the problem I'm feeling. This feels like spring rate. Not enough give. Trying to get some info ahead of time so I know what route I'm going if the new shock doesn't make everything better.

For those that have experienced both the OME HD and MD springs, how much softer are the MD springs? For those that have experience with stock springs and 5100s and any OME lift, how did they differ?

Most my time is spent on the highway but I have the lift for high water and mud in some of my hunting and shooting areas. Off-road "performance" isn't something I really need in a suspension, just the height. I'm considering going back the the RC lift with stock springs and maybe trying out Koni Special Active shocks (open to other recommendations) if the other options all ride like bricks.

I also see H&R offers lift springs, but I can't find much info on them.
Here’s my .02
I think there are issues with your set up but I'm not sure you want to hear them.
1- Your 20” wheel selection is not the greatest. Most people that lift their vehicles increase the size of their tires which includes added sidewalls and companies that build lifts generally allow for that in their spring rate as the sidewall sucks up a lot of the harshness and vibes from the road or “off road” as it may be. When you decreased your width, did you also increase your aspect ratio to keep the same diameter tire? If you stayed at a 55 then for sure you added even more stiffness into the ride by further shortening your sidewall.

2 – yes you have a V8 but the 4.7 is a light engine and only about 30-40lbs heavier then the 3.7 and a full 70-80lbs lighter then 5.7 or CRD.

Just for curiosity sake, what's your front hub-fender measurement?
Armor_LG and underscore like this.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #7 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Th0r
2009 WK 

The 20's are not ideal for comfort, and I have thought about going back down to 18's. Partly because tires are cheaper, and partly because I honestly hate having to clean that wheel lip every other day so it doesn't look like crap! As for current tires, I went up to a 60 sidewall to compensate. I think I'm less than 1/4" shorter. It rode like a rail car with my 305's and the lift on there. Going to the 275's helped, but it's still far cry from stock even with the 305's.

Hub to fender is higher than expected. 23.25" is the front measurement I keep getting, and yes, it has been aligned and driven. No spacer plates or anything extra. The RC spacer lift had just under 22"
post #8 of 10 Old 02-26-2020, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Th0r
2009 WK 

So while I'm not a tech, I still work at a shop and can utilize a lift whenever I need and I have my own air tools. I have had this thing apart so many times experimenting I can now swap both the fronts struts and springs in less than an hour, so last week I had this thing torn apart nearly every day after work trying different combinations.

I must note that Kolak got my defective shock replaced incredibly fast! Unfortunately, replacing the defective strut wasn't enough to address the ride comfort issue for me.

So here's where I ended...

I found NIB OME MD front coils on Facebook. Those coupled with the OME struts were an improvement, but not quite what I wanted. My shop has a tirerack account so I ordered in the Koni Special Active struts and shocks I had been eyballing but could find no truck/suv reviews. The MD springs with the Koni's are exactly what I was looking for! Rides so much better than factory and I am super pleased. Smooth, only a little float, firm on corners despite no sway bar, and when driving on dirt roads the suspension stiffens up and handles really well at speed. My front hub/fender measurement also dropped to 22.75" as well, so I'm out of the danger zone. Still higher than most others with this lift, but that's the story of every lift I put on this thing.

On the rear I still have the HD coils, but I'm running the Koni shocks with them. The Koni's improved the comfort but it still is a bit stiff. Bad thing is they are about 1" shorter than the OME's so that would be a problem should I fully extend the rear suspension. I may try using Koni's for the F150 and see how they feel. I get them at cost so it's not too painful to experiment. Now I do want to switch to the MD springs in the rear, but I also really like how it's sitting with the HD springs in the rear. Bit of a rake. I don't know what the difference in height would be between the HD and MD, but I know it's less than an RC spacer. How else would you raise the rear? Add another coil isolator on both the top and bottom? Anyone make a trimmable puck?

As an added bonus, the red Koni's match my JBA UCA's and Core 4x4 rear arms.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-27-2020, 07:17 PM
drew54
2006 WK 

Using a TJ front spring top isolator on the rear will gain you about an inch.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-28-2020, 03:01 PM
jmc137
2010 WK 

I am reopening this thread as I have a 2010 CRD with Koni special active shocks and H&R springs with a 1.5" drop (installed by the previous owner).
The ride experience is perfect on the highway but very uncomfortable on dirt roads and tracks, bouncing a lot...
I am considering replacing the springs by either stock springs or OME springs with a 2" lift, looking for the best compromise between comfort and stiffness, what do you think ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in