Maxidas DS708 Scanner OBDII ++ - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 123 Old 05-16-2015, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Maxidas DS708 Scanner OBDII ++

Special thanks to 90Grandoneer for putting me onto this Maxidas thing. Its worth the bucks.

Please use this thread to discuss THIS model scanner and its use.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 05-16-2015, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
I was very ANNOYED with the people at Autelshop.com. They promised fast shipping from the USA...so I paid extra for the unit and ordered from them. Well they shipping was super slow and the receipt did not even list the product that I purchased. Their tracking for a whole week said that the order did not exist. Finally after two week when we were on vacation the genuine tracking appear and UPS wanted a signature for the package. Of course we were not home...so I had to jump through hoops to get a neighbor to watch for it and pick it up .

I have not looked at the unit yet...but my first impression of it is good.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #3 of 123 Old 05-16-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Finally got around to plugging in my new Maxidas DS708 scanner. Here are my first impressions...

1. It comes with a nice case and a lot of parts. About the size of a very large brief case or small suit case.

2. It looks and feels very rugged.

3. I DO NOT like the special plug for Chrysler. It is long and bulky and if you tweak it the wrong way it looks like it would snap your computer outlet plug right off. All of the other plugs are smaller.

4. When you turn it on, it immediately asks you to register... but if you wait, the message goes away and you can use the beast.

5. I set it to Chrysler and did a full system scan....take about 3 to 5 minutes..... but it scans everything... stuff you would not think possible. Very impressive.

6. When it got to the FDCM and Transfer case, it just kept right on scanning. It reported a fault in my 4x4 system. Unfortunately I did not write it down. I assumned I could review it later. I did hit the save button...but I have not found the code again. I was VERY IMPRESSED that it did such a thorough scan of the T-Case and FDCM..... gee it even found a fault in my Radio that I did not know I had. The fault code that I lost had something to do with "worn transfer case clutch."

7. I cleared the codes and it went through a clearing procedure... I had two codes in my Radio and one in my T-Case.... it cleared them all.
So far none of the codes have returned but then I have not driven the car yet.

8. FOUR other scanners that I have tried all FAILED to read the T-Case code and of course, failed to clear it. None of them saw the radio codes either.

Sooo..... I'm very impressed so far.

Annoying.... Right now I am trying to register the thing. The wireless connectivity is not bulletproof or fast.... but I finally got it up and I can visit the website right on the unit. I filled out the registration form and they said they would email me a confirmation code. Nice websites send the code immediately.... It has been 15 minutes now and NO code..... I guess it is sort of like their shipping.

Chirpz

post #4 of 123 Old 05-16-2015, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Another annoying tidbit....

Even though I selected ENGLISH as the language of choice in the setup menu, the machine still displays some things in FRENCH. For example... I can't seem to say Yes and No when it asks for a decision...it is OUI and NON. All the menus in their web browser are in French too.

Chirpz
post #5 of 123 Old 05-17-2015, 09:51 AM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Glad you like it, Chirpz. Yes, it's not perfect, but it does sooooo much that I am still, after a year, trying to figure some things out. You'll also find some frustrations, mostly because of things/terms/acronyms that you aren't familiar with or don't understand. But, overall, it's far better than anything I've ever used. My son uses one everyday at his job and he's never registered his. He claims it still does everything he needs to do. You'll find that, if you update most vehicles you're likely to encounter, it'll take a couple hours the first time. My last update, just before my "free" year was up, only took about 15-20 minutes.

Did you go into the setup and set everything the way you want it? I've never had the foreign language problem on mine. Updating everything might fix it for you. Did you get your network connectivity set up correctly? I am still trying to get the remote, wireless printing to work. I've just spent about a half hour on it so far, but I've read that it doesn't work with Windows 7, which is what I am using. I am not a computer whiz so for me I am sure it'll take a while. Right now I am trying to set it up on my old XP game computer. Thank goodness for the internet search feature. If you get yours to work, let me know the secret.

I remember the first time I hooked mine up on both my vehicles, I was amazed at the things it could check and also the things that it found that I was unaware of. I still have a couple codes that I can't completely get rid of, but the associated systems work fine so I am not worried about them. One is, low battery voltage to the sunroof (works flawlessly) and the other, on both vehicles with the same HVAC system, is the right blend door travel is incorrect. Both of them work fine too. I've done the blend door recalibration on both several times and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Also, as I said somewhere on here, the manual is a little lacking, but I understand why, as there are so many options/variables that they couldn't possibly cover everything. I guess that's why they have live tech. support where you can send the data to them to analyze. I've never needed to do this, as I've not had any problems/questions that I couldn't figure out and deal with.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #6 of 123 Old 05-17-2015, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
if you update most vehicles you're likely to encounter, it'll take a couple hours the first time. My last update, just before my "free" year was up, only took about 15-20 minutes.

Did you go into the setup and set everything the way you want it? I've never had the foreign language problem on mine. Did you get your network connectivity set up correctly? I am not a computer whiz so for me I am sure it'll take a while. If you get yours to work, let me know the secret.

My blend door travel is incorrect. Both of them work fine too. I've done the blend door recalibration on both several times and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Also, as I said somewhere on here, the manual is a little lacking, but I understand why...
Update... I am always slow to update anything. Long computer experience has taught me that updates are not always a good thing...but I'll probably do it sometime...we'll see.

Language.... the French is annoying but tolerable.... this may be a good reasone to update. Yes... I did go through the setup menus.

Network.... I got my wireless UP... I am a semi-whiz at computer having worked in network management and IT for about 25 years...but I found out that as soon as you think you are good.... you're an antique. I have not tried the printing yet but I'll let you know if I get that working. The French is hindering my progress and they still have not approved my registration. I can use their build in browers...except it is in French. I use Windows 7 for such things as this but run LINUX 99 percent of the time. To connect to Windows 7 you have to allow Windows to install Windows Mobil and then let that program "discover" your device. Windows finally decided to do that when I plugged in the USB chord.

Blend Door .... This is a problem with WK's, there are several thread about it. It has not struck me yet.... but I did have my fresh air door gear break... I have a thread about that.

Manual .... I don't think there is a good excuse for having a good manual that covers details, especially in this age of paperless publishing. I think that two things are causing their lack of a good manual...1. They don't want to spend the time and money that it takes to write and maintain one. 2. They lack the language skills to write one that is effective. I find that this is true with a lot of Chinese products. If you want to see some THICK manuals, take a look as some of the Microsoft Network manuals....its an eye opener.

If enough people buy and use this product and post their procedures and comments on forums, we should all be able to get by fine.

Chirpz
post #7 of 123 Old 05-17-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Using the scanner, I cleared my T-Case code and my Service 4WD drive message went away and so far has not returned. I can also shift to 4Lo now.

Chirpz
post #8 of 123 Old 05-17-2015, 01:12 PM
SSF556

2008 WK 

Price and website?

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
post #9 of 123 Old 05-17-2015, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
I bought mine from "autelshop.com" an official site. They promised fast shipping (NOT) and I got the MaxiTPMS device as an "extra." I paid extra to purchase from this site because I did not want to order direct from China...but as it turns out, I think they shipped it from China anyway since it took 2 weeks to get it and they promised it in 3 days.... Oh Well! You live and learn. I paid about $1100. You can get them on Amazon for about $900...and I knew that going into the deal. I decided to pay the extra because of the "fast" shipping and to avoid purchasing a knockoff fake that are said to exist.

Since the scanner has already saved me a pile of money.... I'm not too sore about the shipping thing...but they need to fix it.
roll_diesel likes this.

Chirpz
post #10 of 123 Old 05-17-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
The "autelshop.com" web site is a little goofy. Their tracking system for shipping does not work at all and this caused me a lot of chagrin. When you order something online, you don't want the tracking system to tell you that the order "does not exist." That was the case for 1.5 weeks. When I finally got a notice from UPS...then the UPS tracking worked fine.

Also....if you click on the reviews...they all seem to be fake. There will be an American sounding name followed by a good review that is written in obvious Chinese English.

Their online chat never seems to work...but I admit that I have little patience for any online chats.

On the UP side, the shipping was indeed FREE.

Chirpz
post #11 of 123 Old 05-17-2015, 04:16 PM
GregK340
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
Price and website?
I ordered mine through Harbor Freight. $1099. with a 25% off coupon, it was $825. plus tax and $7.99 shipping. Due in on Thur.
You have to find a coupon (on their website), 20% off are frequent, occasionally 25-30% off,will show up.
Be advised, what I'm reading on their forums, 2015 might be the last year for the 708, although Autel tech support says they will continue to support (tech support and software) the DS708 til 2022.
post #12 of 123 Old 05-17-2015, 08:25 PM
SSF556

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK340
I ordered mine through Harbor Freight. $1099. with a 25% off coupon, it was $825. plus tax and $7.99 shipping. Due in on Thur. You have to find a coupon (on their website), 20% off are frequent, occasionally 25-30% off,will show up. Be advised, what I'm reading on their forums, 2015 might be the last year for the 708, although Autel tech support says they will continue to support (tech support and software) the DS708 til 2022.
so does it allow you to reprogram the vehicle? can I change tire size etc....other than giving you hard to find fault codes what I am I missing...

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
post #13 of 123 Old 05-17-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
so does it allow you to reprogram the vehicle? can I change tire size etc....other than giving you hard to find fault codes what I am I missing...
I double dog don't know yet. I have seen at least one other product that does that....can't remember the name of it.

It does have some "reprogram" features but since the directions are so limited, I can't explain at this point.

One thing that I know it does is reprogram Keys...so you can re-do you keys. I saw a guy on youtube doing that.

Chirpz
post #14 of 123 Old 05-17-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK340 View Post
I ordered mine through Harbor Freight. $1099. with a 25% off coupon, it was $825. plus tax and $7.99 shipping. Due in on Thur.
You have to find a coupon (on their website), 20% off are frequent, occasionally 25-30% off,will show up.
Be advised, what I'm reading on their forums, 2015 might be the last year for the 708, although Autel tech support says they will continue to support (tech support and software) the DS708 til 2022.
That is a GREAT price.... better than my deal for sure. Please let us know if you have any trouble registering it.

Chirpz
post #15 of 123 Old 05-17-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
I have not succeeded in getting the print function on the scanner to work yet either. There is a work-around, but not a nice one.

1. Make a "screen shot" of whateve it is that you want to print. This will save an image to the device.

2. Plug the device into your computer and it will show as a drive letter in File Manager.

3. Open the device and navigate to the screenshot folder

4. Select the image using Windows and print it using your favorite image viewing program.

This will not print a whole report so it sort of sucks, but it is better than nothing which is what I had until now.

I still cannot register because they still have not send the secret code approving my account......patience. It is a long way to China.
Attached Images

Chirpz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in