Master Cylinder Upgrade? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 90grandoneer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-05-2020, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
2007laredowk
2006 WK 

Master Cylinder Upgrade?

Is there a master cylinder from another chrysler/dodge/jeep vehicle that fits on the WK and has better stopping power? I know this is a common upgrade on some GM vehicles and was wondering if this upgrade is available for the Jeep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-05-2020, 03:24 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

You'll need better rotors and pads to get better braking, without having to mess with the master cylinder. The best setup would be to get a complete Brembo brake set off of an SRT8 Jeep of about the same year. You'd probably have to start running 20 in. wheels also, as the SRT brakes are much bigger than the standard ones.
underscore likes this.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-06-2020, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
2007laredowk
2006 WK 

I am already running dimpled and slotted rotors on all four wheels, 'sport high performance' semi metallic pads and braided hoses on all four corners. To squeeze the stock brake system the next upgrade would be if the master cylinder swap is available for this jeep, I know a big brake kit is the way to go but for now these mods are enough.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-06-2020, 07:31 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

The stock master cylinder will "squeeze" the pads onto the rotors tight enough to activate the anti-lock brakes, so you don't need anymore. Do you road race this vehicle? My Jeep still has the stock brakes and I do a fair amount of "higher" speed mountain driving (I have complete Eibach lowered SRT8 suspension on it and I've never even gotten any brake fade. I also have two LX vehicles, one an RT with the tow package and heavy duty brakes, and the other an SRT8 with Brembo brakes. I haven't checked part numbers (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), but both master cylinders and anti-lock brake setups look identical. The only obvious differences are the calipers, rotors and caliper mounts.

One other thing you could do is search these Jeep forums, as I am pretty sure at least one or two people have done the changeover to Jeep SRT8 brakes. I can vouch for the bigger brakes/calipers making a significant difference in stopping power though. The difference between my RT and SRT8 is quite noticeable.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-06-2020, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
2007laredowk
2006 WK 

The squeeze I was refering to was to get the most out of the stock system without upgrading to the srt brakes or big brake kit, using the stock system with better rotors, pads, braided hoses and in this case a master cylinder swap how much can I improve it. I know this upgrade is common on other vehicles, to be more specific, in GM's OBS trucks you upgrade to NBS master cylinder which has a smaller piston gets you better stopping power. I am not interested in going for the srt brakes or big brake kit as of right now, I just want to see if this upgrade is available for this Jeep, a master cylinder from another chrysler vehicle which in this case would have a smaller piston and fit on the WK. I don't race this truck, I barely use it anymore but based on previous experiences with vehicles with poor braking performance, I'm just interested in having the brake system in top shape, that's it.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-07-2020, 10:51 AM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

OK, got it. The only ones that MAY be larger, would maybe be off the WK, LX or LY platform SRT8 or maybe one of the larger trucks. I doubt that any of the other passenger vehicles would have one any larger. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

post #7 of 9 Old 06-09-2020, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
2007laredowk
2006 WK 

Yeah, was wondering if someone had some experience with this....
post #8 of 9 Old 06-09-2020, 04:24 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Not that I am aware of. FWIW, I've been on the Jeep and LX forums since about mid 2005 and don't ever recall reading about anyone doing this.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-10-2020, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
2007laredowk
2006 WK 

It's probably possible but if it isn't a known swap already it's not worth the trouble at this point. Guess I'll wait for the big brake kit then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in