List of tools for WK? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vertisce21
  • 1 Post By badgerwithhands

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-31-2021, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Vertisce21

List of tools for WK?

I am looking for a list of tools that are needed for working on our WK's. The idea is to make a toolkit that has all of the required tools that could reasonably be needed in emergency situations. Roadside breakdowns, breakdowns while offroading and so on. Aside from the obvious tools like adjustable wrenches, screwdrivers and so on, I am looking for a list of what sockets and wrench sizes are needed. That kind of thing. Hoping that someone already has a list put together for this otherwise I will just start buying what I need as I need it and putting the kit together myself over time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-31-2021, 09:32 PM
bumzo1

2005 WK 

Almost everything on the Jeep is metric, so a socket set that goes from 8mm - 21mm will get you pretty far. The oil drain plug on my Hemi is SAE but its the only thing I can think of that is SAE. Most of the little screws are torx bits, t5 maybe?

I have one of the Husky ~200ish piece mechanics tool sets and it has 95% of what I need to work on the Jeep. It comes in a folding case which is super easy to move around and keep things organized. Beyond that make sure you have the correct socket size for your wheel lugs nuts, some vice grips, a few screw drivers and pliers, interior panel tool, any odds and ends type stuff. A breaker bar, long handle 1/2" ratchet, or even a 1/2" 18V impact may also come in handy for breaking bolts loose. I also like to carry work gloves, nitrile gloves, and a roll of paper towels. Make sure you have a jack that can lift the tire off the ground, the stock jack may not be long enough if you are lifted/bigger tires.

You could go crazy and bring your entire garage worth of tools but I've found this to be a pretty good compromise list that'll do 95% of what I'd ever need to get back to civilization.

'05 WK 3.7L QT1 OME MD lift
'09 WK 5.7L QDII Stock for Now
Khaki WK Club Member #1
post #3 of 9 Old 08-01-2021, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Vertisce21

The goal in this case is to get every socket and wrench/tool necessary without any extras. Just the stuff that's needed for the Jeep. Not every socket between 8 and 21mm is really needed. Man...an impact driver is a good point. Although...now that I think on it a little more, it can't hurt to have other items to help with working on other peoples vehicles when needed I suppose.
badgerwithhands likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-01-2021, 09:30 AM
bumzo1

2005 WK 

Is this for an everyday kit or for an offroad adventure? Around town I don't carry much more than a 12v air compressor and a set of jumper cables, I've been driving WKs for 11 years and have never been stranded but if something happened I would just call AAA. Offroad you can't do that so you have to be a little more prepared, not to mention it's a lot more stress on the vehicle. It all comes down to what you're comfortable with and what space allows. I can fit everything listed in the footwell behind the passenger seat, including a small aluminum floor jack. I have more experience with my mustang I take to the racetrack, I've found that the things that break are not usually the things you expect to break so its better to be prepared for most everything within reason.

'05 WK 3.7L QT1 OME MD lift
'09 WK 5.7L QDII Stock for Now
Khaki WK Club Member #1
post #5 of 9 Old 08-01-2021, 10:08 AM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce21 View Post
Although...now that I think on it a little more, it can't hurt to have other items to help with working on other peoples vehicles when needed I suppose.
I mulled this over for a while a few years ago and decided basically that. I could try to go minimalist and save space and weight, but the people I ride with are never as prepared as I am so having as much as I can gets us by. The times you are not alone makes it tons easier because you just spread load tools. My buddy has a truck with a lot more space than my Jeep and so I usually add a bunch of tools to him. I always have a set of things with me like bottle jack, " ratchet and socket for the lugs, air compressor, tow strap, etc.

You never know when you're going to find some punk who decided to go mudding with a POS truck with an engine in the bed and the front driveshaft removed. "I can't believe I got stuck."
Vertisce21 likes this.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,
post #6 of 9 Old 08-01-2021, 05:55 PM
jbsj33p
2010 WK 

Garage
A portable jump pack might not be a bad idea, incase there is no one around to give you a jump.

Never trust a Jeep that doesn't leak oil.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-01-2021, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Vertisce21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsj33p View Post
A portable jump pack might not be a bad idea, incase there is no one around to give you a jump.
Already have a NOCO GB150.

I picked up a small"ish" toolbox today that I think I am going to set up with an electric impact hammer, some sockets, wrenches, voltometer and whatever else I can stuff into it that I think will be necessary. Fuses, screws, spare light bulbs and so on.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-02-2021, 10:38 AM
nwoods
2006 WK 

Garage
Don't forget Torx bits! A number of things on Jeeps are Torx.

2006 Jeep WK on 33s
HAM: KI6FPO
Offroad Photography:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-02-2021, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Vertisce21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwoods View Post
Don't forget Torx bits! A number of things on Jeeps are Torx.
Yep. That's going to be on the shortlist of items to get.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in