Lift Install - Tool Advice Needed - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-29-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
KevInSoCal

Lift Install - Tool Advice Needed

Hi Team,

Recently picked up a 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 5.7 Hemi with skid plate and tow packages.

Needs new tires so I figure it's a good time to install an OME HD lift. I want to do the install myself and spend the $$ saved on buying tools. This will be by far the biggest project I've attempted. I've got a floor jack and stands for oil changes and a socket set from Costco.

Will this impact wrench be sufficient?
18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless 4-Mode Compact Impact Wrench Kit from Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any suggestions on Impact Sockets and Torque Wrench?

How about gloves and safety glasses, other tools that are handy/nice to have for a job like this?

Appreciate the advice from you guys who've done this before, thanks!

-Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-29-2019, 05:14 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Gloves are always good to have, as are safety glasses. PB Blaster or a similar penetrating fluid (not WD40) sprayed liberally on the nuts and bolts ahead of time will help a lot. Also pick up a decent length breaker bar that you can add the jack handle onto for when the impact isn't enough. You'll want a decent sized hammer for popping ball joints as well.

For the actual install the biggest trick is to have the control arm jacked up to a completely neutral position so there's no tension on the clevis bolt when taking it out or putting it in. If it's still snug turn the bolt with a ratchet while hitting it through with a hammer (having a helper is a big benefit).

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #3 of 5 Old 10-01-2019, 03:59 AM
browningv308

I just installed my OME lift, JBA uca's factory lca's and a bunch of other stuff with a Milwaukee 18 volt impact. You will need a long breaker bar and some good impact sockets, I used a set from Harbor Freight and they did fine. Another helpful thing was a floor jack and jack stands to hold the Jeep in place, one thing I found very helpful was a second small jack to raise and lower the lower control arm by itself while getting the front struts in place.
Start P B blasting everything today and hit every bolt you can see do this every day until it's lift time, especially the lower clevis bolts- mine practically fell out but others have had a hard time with these.
Last thing I can recommend is the spring compressors from Auto Zone And Advance are almost useless I would try to find a shop that has a wall mounted strut/spring compressor and let them do the springs/struts

post #4 of 5 Old 10-01-2019, 09:48 AM
CUZZIN
2005 WK 

I also installed OME HD with the help of my neighbor it is a big project but well worth it after done. You got two very good advice from Underscore & browningv308. I will add to it with JBA uca's (imo) must to help with lift angle, since you are in there already. One of the biggest help was watch some youtube. get your self familiar with the project. If you are running bigger tire size do your pinch weld. I used a 4lbs. hammer. I saw somewhere someone used a heat gun to reshape the skirt I wish I saw that before I cut mines. if you are running stock rims you will need wheel spacers (I didn't want spacers so I bought new rims with offset I can't remember but I think it was 4.5) you have to move the wheel out because you will hit the ball joint bolt. I also bought Rusty adjustable track bar for the rear, with the lift it push the rear to the right. Not needed but I didn't like it. Don't forget alignment when done.
Good luck on your project
post #5 of 5 Old 10-01-2019, 09:49 AM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
One thing to keep in mind, you are going to want to loosen ALL of the control arm mounting bolts (front and rear). They are just rubber bushings so if you force the new springs in when the control arms are torqued down at the original ride height, all of your bushings are going to be twisted under normal operating conditions. Plus, the loose control arms really help things like get the rear axle low enough to slip the spring in. Some people get spring compressors to fit the spring in there, I have never needed to but they also don't just fall in.

A ratcheting 18mm wrench is nice for the front upper control arms... but having said that, the last step you will want to do is put the jeep on the ground then go around and torque all the control arms down. If you are not removing or replacing the upper control arm a fixed box end wrench should do the job just fine to loosen then tighten the bolts.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in