Key/Key Fob & programming - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 12-06-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
NevadaWheeler
2005 WK 

Key/Key Fob & programming

The 2005 Grand Cherokee I bought only came with 1 key. I would like to have 3 keys total. Are the ones on Amazon and eBay worth it? How hard and how expensive is it to find a place to program them?

I searched and read a bit, but all the information was old. I'm interested in more recent info.

Thanks,

Edit: Make Sure you get the right key. The wrong ones are crap. They work, but you have to be real close and sometimes hit the buttons several times to make it work. The ones that are flat on the bottom of the lock and unlock buttons are the wrong ones.

A local locksmith cut and programmed 2 of mine for $70.

Attached Thumbnails
Keyjeepgood.jpg   Wrongkey.jpg  

Last edited by NevadaWheeler; 12-25-2019 at 09:32 PM. Reason: I'm putting my solution here in the first post so it's easier to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-06-2019, 04:09 PM
T1m

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWheeler View Post
The 2005 Grand Cherokee I bought only came with 1 key. I would like to have 3 keys total. Are the ones on Amazon and eBay worth it? How hard and how expensive is it to find a place to program them?

I searched and read a bit, but all the information was old. I'm interested in more recent info.

Thanks,
You need to have two working keys to be able to program another one from your Jeep. You may be able to get one made from a locksmith or dealer to be able to do the third one yourself.

I'm attaching a PDF that outlines programming a new key from a great member and moderator here, Chirpz.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf newkey.pdf (166.0 KB, 22 views)
post #3 of 35 Old 12-06-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
NevadaWheeler
2005 WK 

Thanks for the PDF, but as I stated, I only have 1 key. I will need to have a dealer or locksmith program the keys for me. I was wondering how hard it is to find a place to do that and around how much I should expect to pay.

I did go to one place today that wanted about $200 per key. $60 of that was for the programming. I didn't think to ask if they they would do a key I got somewhere else.

post #4 of 35 Old 12-07-2019, 09:48 AM
JeffSearls

Quote:
Thanks for the PDF, but as I stated, I only have 1 key. I will need to have a dealer or locksmith program the keys for me. I was wondering how hard it is to find a place to do that and around how much I should expect to pay.

I did go to one place today that wanted about $200 per key. $60 of that was for the programming. I didn't think to ask if they they would do a key I got somewhere else.

I just purchased a 2-pack on EBAY for like $12 for my 2005 Grand Cherokee. I had 2 programmed keys, so I was able to program them myself. But you'll have to take them to a dealer or a locksmith for programming. The programming requires you to cut the key first. Then, with your car, working key and newly cut unprogrammed keys, go to a Jeep dealer or a locksmith that advertises keyfob programming to have the new keyfob programmed. The EBAY keyfobs I got, came with instructions on programming new keyfobs, so you should only pay for 1 new keyfob to be programmed, and do the others yourself. If you go to EBAY to purchase the new keyfobs, it's imperative to match the keyfob you want to purchase to your existing keyfob!!!
post #5 of 35 Old 12-07-2019, 01:03 PM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
when you get the new key(s) done, make sure that they are new programmable keys and not just a clone of your working one. if they clone you will still only have 1 unique key as far as the jeep is concerned and won't be able to program more yourself. dealer should only sell real programmable keys, locksmith or independent shop should have access to both but may try to sell you a clone key for cheaper than a programmed one.

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #6 of 35 Old 12-07-2019, 03:35 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:

Thanks,
If you want, get your new fobs and drive up to Boise and I'll program them for you for nothing. I have an Autel MS906BT that is capable of programming keys and a million other things. I had the same problem with my 300 CSRT8 when I bought it and bought two fobs off the internet, had them cut at the local locksmith and programmed them myself. I would recommend that you try to find fobs that are exactly like the one you have. The ones I bought, while they have the same number of buttons and work adequately, are a little tougher to work than the stock one....takes a lot more pressure to push the buttons.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #7 of 35 Old 12-08-2019, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
NevadaWheeler
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
when you get the new key(s) done, make sure that they are new programmable keys and not just a clone of your working one. if they clone you will still only have 1 unique key as far as the jeep is concerned and won't be able to program more yourself. dealer should only sell real programmable keys, locksmith or independent shop should have access to both but may try to sell you a clone key for cheaper than a programmed one.
The Shop I went to did mention 3 different options. $200 for the properly programmed unique key, something like $80 for a less complete version, and $12 or something for just a key for the doors. I didn't pay much attention to the cheaper options. I knew from reading here that I needed the fully programmed unique key. I'm not sure if the $80 version was the clone key you mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSearls View Post
I just purchased a 2-pack on EBAY for like $12 for my 2005 Grand Cherokee. I had 2 programmed keys, so I was able to program them myself. But you'll have to take them to a dealer or a locksmith for programming. The programming requires you to cut the key first. Then, with your car, working key and newly cut unprogrammed keys, go to a Jeep dealer or a locksmith that advertises keyfob programming to have the new keyfob programmed. The EBAY keyfobs I got, came with instructions on programming new keyfobs, so you should only pay for 1 new keyfob to be programmed, and do the others yourself. If you go to EBAY to purchase the new keyfobs, it's imperative to match the keyfob you want to purchase to your existing keyfob!!!

Thanks for letting me know that the cheap ones do work. I plan on getting these ones from Amazon. They look exactly the same as mine, and they are supposed to fit the 2005 GC that I have. Next I'll have to find somewhere to get them cut. I'd like to find a place that can cut 2 and program 1 for a reasonable price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRLK297...v_ov_lig_dp_it
post #8 of 35 Old 12-08-2019, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
NevadaWheeler
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
If you want, get your new fobs and drive up to Boise and I'll program them for you for nothing. I have an Autel MS906BT that is capable of programming keys and a million other things. I had the same problem with my 300 CSRT8 when I bought it and bought two fobs off the internet, had them cut at the local locksmith and programmed them myself. I would recommend that you try to find fobs that are exactly like the one you have. The ones I bought, while they have the same number of buttons and work adequately, are a little tougher to work than the stock one....takes a lot more pressure to push the buttons.

Thanks for the offer! I would probably take you up on that if I was heading up to see my dad soon. He lives up in Coeur d'Alene. I'd like to get this done sooner rather than later. It would be just my luck to have something happen to the only key I have.
post #9 of 35 Old 12-12-2019, 10:24 AM
grandcherokey

Best bet go to locksmith, they'll be able to program a new key should run about $135, than you'll have two, dealer is very expensive
post #10 of 35 Old 12-12-2019, 03:32 PM
CommanderRandy
2007 XK Commander 

Thanks for this post... same boat, just bought my Commander and only have 1 key... I was wondering what the deal was with the Amazon ones. So can a fob purchased on Amazon be programmed as either a clone or a new key? I'm not clear on if that's a programming thing or a keyfob thing.... I don't want to get a clone on accident...

Previous Jeeps: 89 YJ, 92 YJ, 99 XJ, 98 XJ
Current Jeep: 07 XK Commander limited w/HEMI
post #11 of 35 Old 12-12-2019, 03:40 PM
CommanderRandy
2007 XK Commander 

NevadaWheeler, can you post up on here where you wind up getting it done? I'm in Susanville and will wind up in Reno for this I'm sure.... Doubt anybody over here does it. Thanks.

post #12 of 35 Old 12-12-2019, 05:38 PM
T1m

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRandy View Post
Thanks for this post... same boat, just bought my Commander and only have 1 key... I was wondering what the deal was with the Amazon ones. So can a fob purchased on Amazon be programmed as either a clone or a new key? I'm not clear on if that's a programming thing or a keyfob thing.... I don't want to get a clone on accident...
You need two different keys to be able program a third. Not a clone of the first key. Once you have that, you should be able to program maybe three more via the Jeep procedure.
post #13 of 35 Old 12-12-2019, 06:06 PM
CommanderRandy
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1m View Post
You need two different keys to be able program a third. Not a clone of the first key. Once you have that, you should be able to program maybe three more via the Jeep procedure.

I understand that. I have one. I want two. I don't want the new one to be a clone of the first one. How can I make sure that if I buy one it will not be a clone? is that something they decide when they program it? Can they be programmed either way by a locksmith, or if I buy the Amazon ones, are they only programmable as a clone?

post #14 of 35 Old 12-13-2019, 11:36 AM
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

You should just get the amazon ones and go to the dealer and suck up the 60-70 dollar charge. they will not clone it, it will be unique and you will be able to program more yourself after you have 2. i just got them to program all my new spares, was the same price.

My 07 liberty only had the one(same key as wifes 05 WK) i had them cut at the local locksmith for $5 each, then had to get the dealer to program, since they refused to cut the amazon ones.

Why do so many people sell with only one key? the last 5 cars i have bought only came with one, and i have sold three of them and hand the new owners a handful of keys.

I would live in constant fear and stress knowing i only had the one key to a car.

2 2008.5 WK CRD's, 2005 WK Limited 5.7
post #15 of 35 Old 12-13-2019, 12:40 PM
Raffish
2005 WK 

I got two on amazon and took them to a local auto locksmith for cutting and programming.
Total cost ≈ $60

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in