Jscan: Fogs with Hi-Beams? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-15-2020, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
clemsonscj

Jscan: Fogs with Hi-Beams?

Ok guys, Iíve tried researching this to no avail. Can someone give a definitive answer as to whether or not jscan will give me the ability to have my fogs stay on with my hi-beams?

I found the relay that controls the fogs and figured out that the negative side of the coil is what is disengaged when the hi-beams are turned on. So I got a relay I had laying around, hooked 85 & 30 of my relay to constant ground, 87 of my relay goes to the 85 terminal of the fog light relay, and 86 on my relay is tapped into the positive wire on my hi-beam bulb wiring. So essentially what happens is if my fogs are on, when I turn the hi-beams on the relay is triggered providing ground back to the 85 terminal of the fog light relay which energizes the coil and turns the fogs on. The only problem with this set up is that if I have the fog light switch off, the hi-beams will turn the fog lights on with them. Although Iíd prefer them to be mutually exclusive of one another like they are stock, I figured if I turn my hi-beams on then itís because I want as much light as possible so thereís essentially no harm in the hi-beams by default turning the fogs on with them.

But if Jscan will give me the option to yank all that needless wiring out then Iíd love to go that route instead. Anybody familiar?

'09 GC Overland 5.7L QDII; OME HD Lift; 265/70R17 Ridge Grapplers; SC Flashpaq
Black WK Club #134
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-15-2020, 10:01 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
I can't confirm that Jscan allows you to change it, but I know Appcar DiagFCA does allow you to enable fogs with hi-beams.

If you already have that relay wired in though, you could just put a toggle switch in-line with the relay to turn them on and off if you wanted

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #3 of 12 Old 10-15-2020, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
clemsonscj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray203m View Post
I can't confirm that Jscan allows you to change it, but I know Appcar DiagFCA does allow you to enable fogs with hi-beams.

If you already have that relay wired in though, you could just put a toggle switch in-line with the relay to turn them on and off if you wanted

I would probably just leave it as is before I went to that extent. The weirdest thing is I canít find anything online to indicate where the hi-beam fuses and/or relay is under the hood. Apparently the hi-beams donít require fuses?

Black WK Club #134

post #4 of 12 Old 10-16-2020, 07:05 AM
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I think the dealer starscan tool will do this, if you can convince them to change your vehicle code to an export model. Otherwise its all controlled through the BCM.

Can you make up a quick wiring diagram of what you did to accomplish this? I would like the same mod. I have done this on all my vehicles in the past because I have the same thought, if i want high beams i want a lot of light...

Kyle
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
post #5 of 12 Old 10-16-2020, 07:54 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonscj View Post
Quote:

I would probably just leave it as is before I went to that extent. The weirdest thing is I can’t find anything online to indicate where the hi-beam fuses and/or relay is under the hood. Apparently the hi-beams don’t require fuses?
No fuses or relays for the base model lighting. Everything runs through the BCM. On the optional HID lighting, the low beams had individual fuses

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
post #6 of 12 Old 10-16-2020, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
clemsonscj

Quote:
No fuses or relays for the base model lighting. Everything runs through the BCM. On the optional HID lighting, the low beams had individual fuses

Yeah I have the HIDís so my low beams have fuses but surprised to learn no fuses or relays for the hi-beams.

Black WK Club #134
post #7 of 12 Old 10-16-2020, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
clemsonscj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptorino68 View Post
I think the dealer starscan tool will do this, if you can convince them to change your vehicle code to an export model. Otherwise its all controlled through the BCM.

Can you make up a quick wiring diagram of what you did to accomplish this? I would like the same mod. I have done this on all my vehicles in the past because I have the same thought, if i want high beams i want a lot of light...

Forgive my quick drawing from my desk...

Black WK Club #134
post #8 of 12 Old 10-17-2020, 08:45 AM
bumzo1

2005 WK 

Quote:
+1 for Appcar, I know this is an option as well as enabling trailer tow relays, tilt mirrors in reverse, and more. I've used it to diagnose a few problems recently and its more than paid for itself. I would be inclined to say that Jscan probably can but I have no experience with it.

'05 WK 3.7L QT1 OME MD lift
'09 WK 5.7L QDII Stock for Now
Khaki WK Club Member #1
post #9 of 12 Old 10-17-2020, 09:18 AM
mobilehomer

2006 WK 

You might want to check the legality of fog lights and high beams at the same time. In most states, it is illegal. Plus, it is totally unnecessary.

If it ain't 4X4, it ain't a JEEP!!!
post #10 of 12 Old 10-17-2020, 10:16 AM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

if you really want some light on high beam, do what i did. mounted 2 - 7" hellas with led bulbs and just tied the relay into the high beam circut. I did route the wiring back to a switch on the dash. the great thing is that when the dash switch is on, all lights are controlled by the high beam switch. is it legal?? never been stopped for too much light.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-17-2020, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
clemsonscj

Jscan: Fogs with Hi-Beams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehomer View Post
You might want to check the legality of fog lights and high beams at the same time. In most states, it is illegal. Plus, it is totally unnecessary.

Itís definitely not legal in any state I believe. Canít have more than 4 forward facing lights at a time over a certain intensity. But itís also illegal to drive with oncoming traffic and your high beams on. So with or without the fogs on, if I had my high beams on long enough for any oncoming cop to tell if I got 4 or 6 lights on at once, Iíd be breaking the law regardless.

Black WK Club #134
post #12 of 12 Old 10-17-2020, 09:44 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehomer View Post
I don't even think it's legal in most of North America. I have my fogs set to be on with the high beams, I built new headlights that have a bi-xenon low/high, and led high beam projectors, morimoto led projector fog lights, and I have a second set of amber bi-xenon HID fog lights that I made on a separate switch, with the shutter tied to the high beams. On top of that, I have 4 80w LED spotlights on the roof.

So on high, I can have 4 HID high-beams, 2 led high beams, fog lights, and the 4 LED spotlights. It's ridiculous overkill and not remotely legal. I can also tell you that with just the custom headlights, my fog lights are useless with the high beams on, and the 2nd set of hid fogs/hi-beams aren't necessary at all
Attached Thumbnails
20201017_133700_1602992599978.jpg  

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in