JK wheel swap info needed - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tatonka01
  • 1 Post By Tatonka01
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-03-2020, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Arneb04
Registered User
 
Arneb04's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Detroit Lakes
Posts: 139
JK wheel swap info needed

Hey everyone. My jeep is an 08 limited with the stock 17" Everest rims. They are badly salt scarred and just don't look great. Over the last year or so I've made some upgrades including a lift, larger tires, bull bar, and I have MBRP exhaust on the way. I've been looking at replacement rims, and I can get a steal on 2 different sets of JK takeoffs. The first set is a set of 5 Sahara rims for $200, the other is a set of 18" 7 spoke chrome JK rims (don't know the names of these) for $400 including 50% tires. I'd probably change out the tires, but at least I wouldn't need to immediately.


Questions:
I'm currently running 1.25" spacers. Any of the WKs on the wheel/tire combo thread running the sahara rims all have 1.5" spacers and the wheels look like the stick out of the fender the same as my current stock rims do. Do the JK rims have a different offset? I'm not entirely sure how that works.


I have seen some notes that JK rims might not fit over the brake calipers? Would this be true for either of these rim options?


Both rims being 18" vs the stock 17", what p-metric tire would fit the same as the 265/70r17 that I currently have?


Any help or experience either way would be great. Or if anyone is running the chrome 7 spokes on their WK I'd love to see a pic.

Arneb04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 01-03-2020, 12:31 PM
clemsonscj
Registered User
1930  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Anderson
Posts: 438
JK wheel swap info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneb04 View Post
Hey everyone. My jeep is an 08 limited with the stock 17" Everest rims. They are badly salt scarred and just don't look great. Over the last year or so I've made some upgrades including a lift, larger tires, bull bar, and I have MBRP exhaust on the way. I've been looking at replacement rims, and I can get a steal on 2 different sets of JK takeoffs. The first set is a set of 5 Sahara rims for $200, the other is a set of 18" 7 spoke chrome JK rims (don't know the names of these) for $400 including 50% tires. I'd probably change out the tires, but at least I wouldn't need to immediately.





Questions:

I'm currently running 1.25" spacers. Any of the WKs on the wheel/tire combo thread running the sahara rims all have 1.5" spacers and the wheels look like the stick out of the fender the same as my current stock rims do. Do the JK rims have a different offset? I'm not entirely sure how that works.





I have seen some notes that JK rims might not fit over the brake calipers? Would this be true for either of these rim options?





Both rims being 18" vs the stock 17", what p-metric tire would fit the same as the 265/70r17 that I currently have?





Any help or experience either way would be great. Or if anyone is running the chrome 7 spokes on their WK I'd love to see a pic.
I'm running the 17" Moab wheels off of a JK and although they aren't 18's, i would assume the backspacing would be the same as the 17's. I run 1" spacers with 265/70R17 tires and everything fits fine. Not sure why anyone would say that about the calipers when tons of people run the 17" JK take-offs with no issues.



I originally had 1.5" spacers but dropped down to 1" since I didn't like the stance with the bigger spacers, and I figured it would cut down on some of the rubbing as well since I haven't done the pinch weld mod yet. From my limited understanding I was told to get the spacers to clear the ball joint with the bigger tires. However I'm almost positive that I could clear the ball joint without the spacers, but I'd be afraid it would make the stance look too narrow without them given the lift and all.



As far as the comparative tire size, rather than giving you a fish, I'll teach you how to fish lol. The first number in metric sizes is the width of the tire in "mm". The 2nd number is the distance from the edge of the tire to the edge of the rim in a percentage, and the percentage is of the width of the tire. Confusing when you explain it but here's how it works in practice:



In the case of a 265/70R17 tire, you would take 265 and divide it by 25.4 to convert it to inches. That gives you a 10.4 wide tire. The 70 means that the distance from the edge of the tire to the edge of the rim is 70% of the width. So take 10.4 and multiple it by .70 and that gives you 7.3. Then you gotta multiply that by 2 since you have the space below and above the rim, then add the rim size and you have your tire diameter. Put in an equation youd have (((265/25.4)0.70)2)+17.

So anything 265 is gonna be the same width, and because youre going up an inch in rim diameter, youll wanna go down on the percentage number. So a 265/65R18 would be roughly the same, with about a 0.1 smaller diameter.

'09 GC Overland 5.7L QDII; OME HD Lift; 265/70R17 Ridge Grapplers; SC Flashpaq
Black WK Club #134
clemsonscj is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 01-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Kevin616
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Northeast NJ
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonscj View Post

As far as the comparative tire size, rather than giving you a fish, I'll teach you how to fish lol. The first number in metric sizes is the width of the tire in "mm". The 2nd number is the distance from the edge of the tire to the edge of the rim in a percentage, and the percentage is of the width of the tire. Confusing when you explain it but here's how it works in practice:

In the case of a 265/70R17 tire, you would take 265 and divide it by 25.4 to convert it to inches. That gives you a 10.4” wide tire. The “70” means that the distance from the edge of the tire to the edge of the rim is 70% of the width. So take 10.4 and multiple it by .70 and that gives you 7.3”. Then you gotta multiply that by 2 since you have the space below and above the rim, then add the rim size and you have your tire diameter. Put in an equation you’d have (((265/25.4)0.70)2)+17.

So anything “265” is gonna be the same width, and because you’re going up an inch in rim diameter, you’ll wanna go down on the percentage number. So a 265/65R18 would be roughly the same, with about a 0.1” smaller diameter.
^^^^ THIS

I am terrible at math so i used a website, which basically does the same thing. https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I've read and heard about the JK wheels needing the additional help from a spacer but never tested it to confirm. I like the wider stance that the spacers give so I just went with it.

05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
RIP - 97 ZJ Ltd, 5.2L V8
Kevin616 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 01-03-2020, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Arneb04
Registered User
 
Arneb04's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Detroit Lakes
Posts: 139
Thanks for the help gents. I also like the wider stance with the lift. It only makes sense for stability that if you go up, you go out as well, at least in my head it makes sense. Anyway, I don't know where I ever heard or read that brake clearance can be an issue but it stuck with me from somewhere. Maybe it was only a specific set or something who knows. What I did find is that the 18" wrangler rims mostly come wrapped in 255/70/18 tires, which by the math above is still pretty close within .5". I didn't have to do the pinch weld mod on mine, and I'd really like to keep it that way, so I might go with the set that comes with tires just to make sure I have clearance instead of finding out the hard way after spending a bunch of money on tires. No idea if they're still available or not. If not I can wait, my tires are pretty much new right now. Just don't like the scarred up, corroding rim look. Again thanks for the info.
Arneb04 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-04-2020, 10:48 AM
Ahaze
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Morinville
Posts: 111
The brake caliper clearance issue with some JK wheels is lateral, not radial, i.e. they hit the front face of the caliper. The 7 spoke 18s don't have this problem and since you're running spacers, it's a non-issue anyway. Just be aware that any JK wheel will already sit 1/4" farther out than the WK wheels.
Ahaze is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-05-2020, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Arneb04
Registered User
 
Arneb04's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Detroit Lakes
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahaze View Post
The brake caliper clearance issue with some JK wheels is lateral, not radial, i.e. they hit the front face of the caliper. The 7 spoke 18s don't have this problem and since you're running spacers, it's a non-issue anyway. Just be aware that any JK wheel will already sit 1/4" farther out than the WK wheels.
Yes. Thank you. This was what I was looking for exactly!
Arneb04 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-05-2020, 11:24 AM
clemsonscj
Registered User
1930  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Anderson
Posts: 438
JK wheel swap info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneb04 View Post
Thanks for the help gents. I also like the wider stance with the lift. It only makes sense for stability that if you go up, you go out as well, at least in my head it makes sense. Anyway, I don't know where I ever heard or read that brake clearance can be an issue but it stuck with me from somewhere. Maybe it was only a specific set or something who knows. What I did find is that the 18" wrangler rims mostly come wrapped in 255/70/18 tires, which by the math above is still pretty close within .5". I didn't have to do the pinch weld mod on mine, and I'd really like to keep it that way, so I might go with the set that comes with tires just to make sure I have clearance instead of finding out the hard way after spending a bunch of money on tires. No idea if they're still available or not. If not I can wait, my tires are pretty much new right now. Just don't like the scarred up, corroding rim look. Again thanks for the info.
Ill agree with the wider stance to a degree. There comes a point where it looks squatty. Im big on aesthetics so I believe there is a proper height:width ratio.

Ive got MLK day off work so Im planning on tackling the pinch weld mod then. Since I gotta take the tires off Im probably gonna play with taking the spacers off and seeing it I like the look or if it even works with the ball joint and what not. Ill take pics so you can compare.

'09 GC Overland 5.7L QDII; OME HD Lift; 265/70R17 Ridge Grapplers; SC Flashpaq
Black WK Club #134
clemsonscj is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 05:27 AM
Tatonka01
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Reston
Posts: 31
Look for a set of 17 JK Rubicon RECON pull offs. They have less backspacing than all other stock JK wheels (5.5 as opposed to the 6.25 of all other JK wheels). That 3/4 difference means no spacers needed on our WKs. I am running a set without spacers and they clear without hitting anything.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tatonka01 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 09:07 AM
Mainsail
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka01 View Post
Look for a set of 17” JK Rubicon RECON pull offs. They have less backspacing than all other stock JK wheels (5.5” as opposed to the 6.25” of all other JK wheels). That 3/4” difference means no spacers needed on our WKs. I am running a set without spacers and they clear without hitting anything.
Do you happen to have the numbers on the inside of the wheel? A picture would help too.

If you've ever shopped on craigslist you know the frustration of people selling wheels "for a jeep" or "for a blazer" as though they were all the same.

Poor grammar is something up with which I shall not put.
Mainsail is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 11:16 AM
Tatonka01
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Reston
Posts: 31
Quadratec sells them (Mopar PN listed in the add) .


https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/gr...ep-wrangler-jk


I found a set of 5 pull offs on CL with practically new BFG MTs for $850
Will follow up on my phone with pics
Mainsail likes this.

Last edited by Tatonka01; 01-24-2020 at 11:25 AM. Reason: adding info
Tatonka01 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 11:30 AM
Tatonka01
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Reston
Posts: 31


Here they are on my WK before I lifted it.
Mainsail likes this.
Tatonka01 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome