Jeep WK 3.7 4.7 Throttle Body Upgrade "viper throttle body" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 Old 11-19-2017, 10:48 AM
PolkaPower
Registered User
 
PolkaPower's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 22,837
He said long tubes are good for 20-25hp and he can pull about 20 hp across the board out of it with just a customized tune alone using premium fuel.
That's quite a bit of difference.

PolkaPower is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 25 Old 11-20-2017, 10:32 AM
90grandoneer
Moderator
 
90grandoneer's Avatar
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: City of Trees
Posts: 3,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
He said long tubes are good for 20-25hp and he can pull about 20 hp across the board out of it with just a customized tune alone using premium fuel.
That's quite a bit of difference.
Yes, Mike, headers will pretty easily bring out 20-25 hp. on an otherwise 5.7 (see pix above), but I was talking completely stock. It would be a little harder then, but not impossible. You know all the choke points on these things.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
90grandoneer is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 11-20-2017, 10:40 AM
PolkaPower
Registered User
 
PolkaPower's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 22,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post

Yes, Mike, headers will pretty easily bring out 20-25 hp. on an otherwise 5.7 (see pix above), but I was talking completely stock. It would be a little harder then, but not impossible. You know all the choke points on these things.
Yeah, I'm taking about stock as well. Then add the headers. He's one of the best if not the best tuner out there today.
He's saying that a stock 5.7 truck dynos 245-250 whp on his dyno. Probably less for the wk with the awd loss.
He's going to dyno a 07 ram with bolt ons soon and expects around 285 whp.
PolkaPower is offline  
 
post #19 of 25 Old 11-20-2017, 11:54 AM
underscore
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
They first used a nearly stock 5.7 (345 cubic inches) junk yard engine (mild camshaft and SRT headers) with 135K miles on it, first with stock heads, then with the ported heads. With the stock heads the engine produced 401 hp. and 427 lb. ft. torque. Then, only swapping the heads for the ported heads, the engine output changed only slightly to 413 hp. and 439 lb. ft. torque.
Maybe it's just me, but that seems like a lot of work to gain 12/12. I don't know if those are crank or wheel numbers but either way I doubt you'd really notice it.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
underscore is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 11-20-2017, 03:56 PM
MeatCurtains
Registered User
 
MeatCurtains's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: FT MITCHELL
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Yes, Mike, headers will pretty easily bring out 20-25 hp. on an otherwise 5.7 (see pix above), but I was talking completely stock. It would be a little harder then, but not impossible. You know all the choke points on these things.
That means precisely nothing without a comparable Dyno graph between stock and with headers. I've seen modifications that raise peak hp and torque but tank it in your lower to mid room where you spend your time driving.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
MeatCurtains is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 11-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Jpe61
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 69
^Spot on. It's like comparing, if not apples to oranges, then maybe lemons to oranges

Tuning only makes sense if you make gains on most of the power/torque curve.
Jpe61 is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 11-21-2017, 12:13 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
 
PolkaPower's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 22,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpe61 View Post
^Spot on. It's like comparing, if not apples to oranges, then maybe lemons to oranges

Tuning only makes sense if you make gains on most of the power/torque curve.
FFS I just said "across the board". Ryan eliminated the lag at low rpm, made the shifts 100% better, and it pulls very hard up until the top where you can feel it being choked from the stock manifolds.
It's 100% worth it and I'm continuously satisfied.
I wouldn't ever drive a stock wk hemi again after experiencing what he has done with mine. It's a night and day difference.
If you were nearby I'd let you drive it to see the difference.
PolkaPower is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 11-21-2017, 06:36 PM
MeatCurtains
Registered User
 
MeatCurtains's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: FT MITCHELL
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
FFS I just said "across the board". Ryan eliminated the lag at low rpm, made the shifts 100% better, and it pulls very hard up until the top where you can feel it being choked from the stock manifolds.
It's 100% worth it and I'm continuously satisfied.
I wouldn't ever drive a stock wk hemi again after experiencing what he has done with mine. It's a night and day difference.
If you were nearby I'd let you drive it to see the difference.
"Across the board" is general bunk. You can have a .005% gain everywhere but right at the top of the rpm range you see 25hp. So you've gained nothing tangible.

I've had many a vehicle dynoed. If someone tells you you'll see 25hp across the board on a modern v6 with long tube headers they are bullcraping you. You'll see 25 peak hp, maybe and absolutely nothing to minimal everywhere else. Most notably you won't even notice anything outside of the sound because the headers are not realized unless you are wailing full throttle everywhere you go. The stock manifold has more than enough flow for daily driving even if it's spirited.



Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
MeatCurtains is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 11-21-2017, 06:42 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
 
PolkaPower's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 22,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCurtains View Post
"Across the board" is general bunk. You can have a .005% gain everywhere but right at the top of the rpm range you see 25hp. So you've gained nothing tangible.

I've had many a vehicle dynoed. If someone tells you you'll see 25hp across the board on a modern v6 with long tube headers they are bullcraping you. You'll see 25 peak hp, maybe and absolutely nothing to minimal everywhere else. Most notably you won't even notice anything outside of the sound because the headers are not realized unless you are wailing full throttle everywhere you go. The stock manifold has more than enough flow for daily driving even if it's spirited.



Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You don't know jack bub. Ryan is a great tuner and not a con man. I'm driving what he tuned so I know what the difference is. I'll also have dyno numbers for the 5.7 non vvt soon because he constantly posts dyno results for all of his customers to see.
Won't be a WK though. Either way I could care less of what your uninformed opinion is.
Go research who he is. I don't have the time to argue with a troll.
You must have had some pretty novice people tune your junk.

Sent from my GRACE using Tapatalk
PolkaPower is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 11-21-2017, 06:58 PM
MeatCurtains
Registered User
 
MeatCurtains's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: FT MITCHELL
Posts: 572
It's not uninformed opinion boss it's fact. I can run my car on the Dyno 10 times in a row, make no changes and see a 15-20 hp swing over the 10 runs.

The problem is people have no idea what a Dyno does or how it's manipulated to give the results the customer is paying for regardless of what it actually gained. I can take my WRX to 2 different tuners and get a 50 wheel horsepower difference on the same day. One tuner manipulated correction factors one does not. Horsepower sells.

That doesn't mean the person is a bad tuner. But unless you have the same car on the same Dyno on the same day in the same relative conditions 25hp is within the range of error. Especially when you start getting around the 300chp mark.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
MeatCurtains is offline  
Reply

Tags
3.7 , performance , throttle body

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome