Jeep OM642 CRD Performance Mod's - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 242 Old 08-30-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Jeep OM642 CRD Performance Mod's

I think it’s time we have a thread dedicated to all things performance and improvement modifications for the Jeep OM642 CRD engine. This will be helpful to have all the modifications we have done to improve upon the design, performance, and reliability of the drivetrain in one thread. I am going to start with my rough idea of importance once you buy your CRD. Will reserve several posts to keep this concise and for future improvements. I am going to overlook basic maintenance items because those should be done as per the maintenance schedule available in the owner’s manual. Please post with comments and suggestions.

1st Elephant Hose Mod
Several posts on this mod, I chose a little bit different approach. I used Goodyear 1” heater hose with some PVC hose connectors and stainless hose clamps. I put attached a short piece from the CCV valve to a 90 fitting down the side of the engine a ran along the body seam to the rear of the vehicle to keep any possible amount of gases going into the cab. I ran this setup with my stock intake for a while before I made my intake setup. I machined my own plug for myself and some buddies in town with CRD's. I have a couple extra if anyone wants one $18 shipped.

Routing from valve

90 to go down side of engine

Route down side of engine

Bend

Termination 1

Termination 2 keeps vapors down and keeps them at the rear of the vehicle

Plug I machined

Plug installed with old orange seal that is bad

CB Engineering
CB-engineer.com
2014 WK2 EcoDiesel - CBE Parts
2008 3.0L CRD WK LTD - GDE Tune 3.07 gears
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Go Fast Parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 KJ CRD - GDE Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 242 Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Reserved 4.7K resistor mod for swirl motor issues. This mod is to jumper out the swirl motor if or before it fails. You need to get a ~ 4.7K ohm resistor in install it in pins red/green and grey. These are the two center pins in the four pin plug. I performed this mod before my swirl motor failed and have not had any problems since and it been several months. Or I do make a water tight plug that fits into the stock male plug to become a water tight seal.

Resistors

Swirl motor plug

Resistor installed in swirl plug - I just seal it with electrical tape to keep it clean

Swirl motor resistor plug - machined to be plug in

Installed

CB Engineering
CB-engineer.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 KJ CRD - GDE Tune
post #3 of 242 Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Tuning. There are several tuning companies out there with good tunes. Custom Spooling, GDE, Inmotion, Stormtech, and others. I don't have experience with them all so I can't really say which ones is better. It depends on what you want as far as tuning and price. I choose Custom Spooling because there were able to provide me with DPF and EGR deletes and economy and performance tunes. They also have the ability to make changes/improvements if needed and they have great customer service.
I have posted before my 1/4 mile times bone stock and just tuning to show improvements. My tune has given me everything that I wanted. I have gained performance, reduce turbo lag, and ~ 2.5 city mpg gain. I have had zero issues with my tune since I have purchased almost a year ago.
Stock

Performance Tune

Custom Stage 2 w/ stock intercooler
The Stage 2 tune has awesome power. However, with the stock intercooler I am running out of air to make make power. Need to run some more tests with the new intercooler.

CB Engineering
CB-engineer.com

2005 KJ CRD - GDE Tune

post #4 of 242 Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

The exhaust system is roughly a 2.75" OD exhaust system with two catalytic converts, one DPF filter, and one pass through resonator at the rear. The biggest restriction is the DPF Filter. This needs to be removed if you really want to unleash the true performance of this engine. I welded up a DPF 3.0” stainless steel delete pipe to replace the filter pipe. It is pretty quick to install and if I ever needed, which I can’t see why, I can reinstall the filter and return the vehicle to stock. I also cut out the resonator and installed a stainless steel 2.75” pipe in its place. The stock resonator weights about 16 lbs. You can get a DPF back exhaust system in 3” or 3.5”, but it’s not needed unless you are going for looks. The stock system flows plenty for any level of performance tune available. With these two items removed the vehicle exhaust note is barely louder at idle with a slight more rumble when accelerating.

DPF Delete

Resonator removed

CB Engineering
CB-engineer.com

2005 KJ CRD - GDE Tune

Last edited by tnadanzig; 09-06-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: new picture
post #5 of 242 Old 08-30-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

One big restriction in the intercooler plumbing is the turbo resonator. It is a kidney bean shaped component with hundreds of perforated holes to reduce noise from the turbo. It really just reduces flow and collects CCV oil. Not seeing many delete options, I came up with a simple delete using 2.5” aluminum tubing and a silicone reducer. I modified the stock turbo pipe to resonator connection for the silicone reducer. Cut the silicone hose going to the intercooler and attached it to the tube.
I came up with a bolt on option. It uses a machined fitting to fit into the stock turbo outlet pipe and mounts in the stock locations with stock hardware. I have noticed reduced turbo lag, quicker turbo boost, and about .4-.5 mpg improvement in the city. Runs great with very little difference in noise levels.
Bolt in model - 1.0 _ Model 2.0 Coming Soon

Uses stock connection to compressor outlet pipe and bolts to engine block in stock locations (2).

Prototype

CB Engineering
CB-engineer.com

2005 KJ CRD - GDE Tune
post #6 of 242 Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Intake system upgrade, the stock intake system does not leave much in the way for performance. It basically fits the under the plastic engine cover and provides air to the turbo. The plastic engine cover was removed pretty much from day one. To provide fresh cool air to the turbo you need to provide a path from the cool outside air. Cut the air filter tube from behind the grill to pull more cool air and less hot air off the radiator. Upgrade the filter inside the air box to a dry filter element. Remove the stock restricted plastic tube and replace with a 3”aluminium tube with silicone connectors. Notice reduced turbo lag, quicker boost, a little more intake sound, and about .3 mpg improvement.

CB Engineering
CB-engineer.com

2005 KJ CRD - GDE Tune
post #7 of 242 Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

EGR Delete
EGR Plate cut on waterjet

Installed on y pipe

CB Engineering
CB-engineer.com

2005 KJ CRD - GDE Tune
post #8 of 242 Old 08-30-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Methanol Injection

Running a Devil's Own Progressive Methanol Injection system. I wanted to install the system close to the injection location and I didn't want it inside the vehicle so I decided to mount it on the passenger side behind the bumper. Its a pretty tight fit. I am currently running a temporary 1.5 gal tank, until I can weld up an aluminum tank to fit better and give me more capacity. I inject in a plug I made to fit in the location of the intake silencer. Its after the IAT sensor not ideal, but it works and I won't have to deal with wet bulb issues with injecting so close before the IAT sensor. I will try to come up with something better, but I wanted to get it installed before the oil needed changing so I can get all the build up in this oil right. This way I can have a clean intake with clean oil.

Been running it for a couple of weeks and it works awesome. I currently have the system come on at 16 psi and full at 20 psi. It's very noticeable and you can see the egt temps come down if you do a sustained pull. Need to get some more time adjusting and running different nozzles. I am running a 3 GPH nozzle while I break in the system. I also have a 5 that I will move up to when I want some real power.

Pump installed passenger side

Pump and temporary tank installed

Controller mounted

Motor Shot - injector, wire harness, and fill tube

CB Engineering
CB-engineer.com

2005 KJ CRD - GDE Tune
post #9 of 242 Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Reserved Throttle Body Delete

Small update, I have been running the intake throttle without the throttle blade for a couple of weeks. No DTC's and its fun watching AutoEnginuity and seeing the % open value change and knowing there's no blade restriction. Not a very noticeable upgrade with all the other mods, but you can tell it's there. Working on pulling the whole intake throttle and replacing it with a 2.5" aluminum delete pipe. The stock intercooler won't fit a 2.5" silicone connector, it is to small so I had to go to plan B with my delete pipe from some extra material before I use the 90. It has the fitting for the IAT sensor and a 1/8 NPT bung for the water injection system.
Throttle blade removed

Out with the old and the eventual new

Delete pipe - simple design from scrap material

CB Engineering
CB-engineer.com

2005 KJ CRD - GDE Tune

Last edited by tnadanzig; 09-12-2012 at 12:05 PM.
post #10 of 242 Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

This is a 3" intercooler core and it will not fit without some bumper beam modifications, trimming about 0.5". Some custom modifications to get this to fit. However it is all worth it for the added performance benefits and much reduced turbo lag and quicker boost build. The egt's have dropped about 50 degrees and the intake temps are about the same. The spool up difference is crazy. It almost drives like a NA engine. I would say this about the best mod to do. On a stock engine this mod rocks and once you put a tune one it you can barely notice that it is tuned. I have a new design for the intercooler that will be bolt in, but will still need to trim the bumper support about a 0.5".
Received new 3" Intercooler

Out with the old.

New Intercooler installed

Intercooler Kit

Machined throttle body flange

Intercooler outlet throttle body pipe

CB Engineering
CB-engineer.com

2005 KJ CRD - GDE Tune

Last edited by tnadanzig; 09-06-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: update
post #11 of 242 Old 08-30-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Reserved Intake Manifolds

CB Engineering
CB-engineer.com

2005 KJ CRD - GDE Tune
post #12 of 242 Old 08-30-2012, 08:25 PM
jjt250
2007 WK 

Garage
Thank you for spending the time to put this all together! Have you done the last 4 yet or are you just reserving those for the future?

2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors
post #13 of 242 Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

I have done egr, methanol, and working on the last three. Just need some time to get some pictures. I am pretty busy with some other side projects. This thread has been on my list for quite some time. I had an hour after the daughter went to bed to get this far. I can make any of these if anyone wants them. I can also do any custom stuff you can think of.

CB Engineering
CB-engineer.com

2005 KJ CRD - GDE Tune
post #14 of 242 Old 08-31-2012, 06:25 AM
LifeOnABoard
2008 WK 

Excellent! Thanks for sharing, we're past any warranties so now the modding begins.
post #15 of 242 Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 AM
suzieque
2008 WK 

I think some owners would argue that an "Elephant Hose Mod" is not a performance mod.

Anyway, for owners that want a catch-can option instead of the "Elephant Hose Mod", there is a way to fit a Hemi catch cans to the CRD, I installed one https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/i...n-crd-1365765/

I am looking forward to your Methanol Injection installation information, I had meant to PM you about that!

You mention a "Throttle body delete" mod, I'm not aware of a throttle body on our CRDs?

2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in