JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Jeep Grand Cherokee WK/WH 2005 Mirrors upgrade to 2007 auto tint (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/jeep-grand-cherokee-wk-wh-2005-mirrors-upgrade-2007-auto-tint-4338753/)

Harryson 12-27-2018 04:06 PM

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK/WH 2005 Mirrors upgrade to 2007 auto tint

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Jeep people,

I somehow got stuck with my GC, which has been a real headache and I have ended up burying 20 000 EUR in it. Now the car works fairly fine, but I would like to add some features, that can be found in local junkyards. Only problem is, Im not quite sure what works with that. wkjeeps.com helps, but the information can be a bit limited there, when it comes to entire car.

So, not to get into the hole REF to REC topic. I have something much more specific to offer for much smarter people then I.

What is needed to enable auto-tint side mirrors on 2005 WH? The subject car has only auto tint in the interior mirror and not outside. The donor car is 2007 Overland, that has auto tint outside mirrors.

I wonder if the plugs even match and where does the car know to tint the mirrors? Is it from the interior mirror's sensor? I was told, that if you have tinted windows, then interior mirror won't tint and there for outside ones wont either. Or does it just detect that its dark outside, using the sensor on the dashboard? Basically, I wonder if there is some addon module needed? And if so, then can I add the module and mirrors, but the general wiring will be the same?

PS: I added a picture of the donor cars mirror.

With kind regards and thanks in front,

Harryson

yzjwk 12-28-2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harryson (Post 40464385)
Hello Jeep people,

I somehow got stuck with my GC, which has been a real headache and I have ended up burying 20 000 EUR in it. Now the car works fairly fine, but I would like to add some features, that can be found in local junkyards. Only problem is, Im not quite sure what works with that. wkjeeps.com helps, but the information can be a bit limited there, when it comes to entire car.

So, not to get into the hole REF to REC topic. I have something much more specific to offer for much smarter people then I.

What is needed to enable auto-tint side mirrors on 2005 WH? The subject car has only auto tint in the interior mirror and not outside. The donor car is 2007 Overland, that has auto tint outside mirrors.

I wonder if the plugs even match and where does the car know to tint the mirrors? Is it from the interior mirror's sensor? I was told, that if you have tinted windows, then interior mirror won't tint and there for outside ones wont either. Or does it just detect that its dark outside, using the sensor on the dashboard? Basically, I wonder if there is some addon module needed? And if so, then can I add the module and mirrors, but the general wiring will be the same?

PS: I added a picture of the donor cars mirror.

With kind regards and thanks in front,

Harryson

I couldn't find any mention of the dimming side view mirrors in the Service manual. Just that the mirrors are powered on all the time from the front control module. I would be surprised if the connectors were different because car companies usually don't do that in the same production run. Normally, extra functions like fog lights and DRL's etc. need to be turned on in the programming but if the mirror is powered all the time already and you have the twilight sensor for the internal dimming mirror, I would say it might be just a plug and play install.

I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with tint because all my windows are tinted and the dimming feature still works on all mirrors. in fact as I back out of my dark garage, I watch my side view mirror tint from the sun even. and according to the service manual the rearview mirror tinting function is disabled in reverse, so they should be independent of each other. I think as soon as the sun hits the dash , the mirror un-tints ..

I would say install them and let us know how it goes !
Good luck

The time now is 12:15 AM.