Jeep Grand Cherokee bucking at 3000RPM. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-19-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
JeffSearls

Jeep Grand Cherokee bucking at 3000RPM.

To all my mechanic friends, I need some help with a 2005 jeep grand Cherokee, 3.7L. To begin, there are no codes being registered by the car. No "check engine light". At 3000 RPM the motor "bucks", almost like the fuel is cutting out, but then comes back, then bucks again, then comes back..... This happens while driving as well as in park, but only at around 3000 RPM. Fuel pressure is a solid 58 psi when the motor is running and rev-ing, even when "bucking. Ignition coils appear to be working as they should. Vacuum is normal. Fuel pump and filter are in the tank so there's no easy access. No rough idle. No issues at lower RPM's. Symptoms are being experienced while car is in Park so I know it's not the transmission. Any help would appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-19-2019, 03:23 PM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

how do you know there are no codes?

any recent work, repairs that may offer a clue?
You checked vacuum - try holding engine @ 1500 RPM observe vacuum - did it start to drop? indication of an exhaust restriction.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-19-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
JeffSearls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post

You checked vacuum - try holding engine @ 1500 RPM observe vacuum - did it start to drop? indication of an exhaust restriction.
No codes showing on dash (check engine light). There may be codes that my OBD2 scanner doesn't read.
I was working on it tonight and reving it to test some of my troubleshooting, and realized it won't go over 4000RPM's. It chokes/bucks out and won't go over 4000RPM's.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-19-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
JeffSearls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post

We replaced the radiator a few weeks ago. But didn't do anything towards the motor.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-19-2019, 09:24 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSearls View Post
No codes showing on dash (check engine light). There may be codes that my OBD2 scanner doesn't read.
I was working on it tonight and reving it to test some of my troubleshooting, and realized it won't go over 4000RPM's. It chokes/bucks out and won't go over 4000RPM's.
Welcome to the forum. Under no load, out of gear, the computer (PCM) is programmed to not rev. past 4000 RPM. I believe they're actually set for 3800 RPM. It cuts fuel to stop over revving the engine. Some more advanced tuners, such as the HP Tuner, will allow the user to change this RPM limit up or down.

As said above, DTC's read with a good diagnostic scanner are a must for tracking down problems with any computerized vehicle. Can't do much without them.....except guess.

How many miles on the vehicle and when is the last time (miles ago) the spark plugs were changed? If done, what type spark plugs were installed?

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, TruFlow Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-20-2019, 06:43 AM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

are we chasing a ghost? reving engine in P/N varoom varoom.

Lets look at -
What happens when driving vehicle - idle to say 3000 RPM ?

Then what driving say and going WOT for passing 3000 rpm + ?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in