Jeep Consumes Oil, but no signs of leak and no smoke?! - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RCS1300

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-10-2021, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Billbo1970
2009 WK 

Jeep Consumes Oil, but no signs of leak and no smoke?!

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. My 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK) 3.7L V6 with 163K miles on it runs great... but it's consuming oil with no evidence other than needing to add a quart every 1200 miles or so! I took a short video and put it on youtube, showing smooth idle, looking under hood, and looking at exhaust. No evidence of any leak, no evidence of coolant in oil or vice-versa, and no exhaust smoke!!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-11-2021, 07:06 AM
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

Try removing the oil filler cap when idling to assess the amount of blow-by that you have. If you have puffs of smoke coming out of your filler port, then part if not all of your consumption is via blowby. Another way to test would be to pull your oil dip stick and smell the oil itself for a gas-like odor, this would indicate dilution of the oil with gas from the blowby/leaking rings, or send off a sample to an oil lab for testing.

Oil can only leak out of the engine, leak out of the oil side into the coolant side, or be consumed internally. If it is blowby, you may want to research some treatments that could help reduce some of that, either by cleaning up carbon build up on the rings to improve sealing via a Gas additive, or possibly switching to a different viscosity oil that will slow the amount getting past the rings into the combustion chamber,
post #3 of 4 Old 06-11-2021, 01:38 PM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

I would put some fluorescent dye, for engine oil, into the oil, get a black light, run the vehicle for a few days, and check the tail pipe exit, the coolant, and the edges of the oil pan and timing cover for the fluorescent dye.

Get a good black light - you may be able to rent one from your local auto parts store or get one on Amazon. Test the black light on the dye before you put the dye into the oil -- that way you know what color you seek.
acabtp likes this.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-2021, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Billbo1970
2009 WK 

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll check those things tomorrow.

Regards,
Bill

Tags
oil consumption

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in