• 2 Post By Jaegermeiste
  • 1 Post By Vertisce21

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-13-2021, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Jaegermeiste
2005 WK 

Jaegermeiste's Build Thread - 2005 WK 5.7 Limited

Hi all!

I've had my WK for many years and I've slowly made some improvements and fixed some things. Figured it's about time to start documenting.

To start off, the Jeep didn't come with the Offroad group - an oversight when I bought it. This meant no recovery hooks and no skids. I'm slowly rectifying said oversight. It's a daily driver, and I live in an apartment complex with no dedicated garage, which means it's difficult to do long term projects on it. Regardless, going forward I'll be documenting the improvements I make. I'll also try to cover some of the stuff I've done in the past.

I'm in the process of adding links to the various kit (where appropriate), which I'll replace with jumps to the appropriate detail post if/when they're added. Hopefully this answers most 'where did you get X' type questions, though.

Past Repairs (in no particular order)
  • Replaced broken factory door handle wells
  • Replaced front differential bushings
  • Replaced front differential bushings again
  • Replaced front passenger side half axle
  • Replaced EGR valve
  • Replaced alternator
  • Replaced power steering pump
  • Replaced hitch (damaged in accident)
  • Replaced PCV valve
  • Replaced battery (every few years)
  • Quick Hack job Bondo special quarterpanel repairs

Past Improvements (installed 2006-2018):
Recent Improvements (installed 2019-2021):
WIP:
Upcoming Improvements (ordered and/or delivered, but not yet installed):
Pending Fixes:
  • Sunroof drains - tired of it raining inside the truck
  • Air conditioning blend box
  • Both Rear Quarterpanels were damaged in various incidents; fixed with a quick Bondo/rattle can paint job that is now cracking, and needs replacement

Future Improvements ($$/time permitting):
  • Engine Skid (TBD)
  • Transmission Skid (TBD, probably custom, with at least one wing 4xguard style to make sure both Cats are protected from being sawzalled out).
  • Rear differential guard
  • Hidden Winch + possible brush guard
  • 2nd battery
  • Radar Detector
  • Poly Front Differential Front T Bushing
  • 120V Inverter
  • 4xguard rear sliders/recovery tabs (if I ever find them, or the equivalent)
  • Sway bar quick disconnects
  • (Real) Beadlock rims
  • Remote Start
  • Tire bay skid
  • Adjustable rear track bar

Gear (that isn't necessarily permanently installed):
Pic as of 20210622:

Attached Thumbnails
20210622_WK.jpg  
SKALA308, 2005JGC and Vertisce21 like this.

Last edited by Jaegermeiste; 06-22-2021 at 09:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-14-2021, 11:12 AM
nwoods
2006 WK 

Garage
Sub'd. Working at an apartment complex must be a challenge, specially when doing noisy things like hammering the pinch weld! I am not very close, being in Yorba Linda, but if you ever need a wrenching day, let me know. I have a decent set of tools and an open driveway. My 2006 WK 5.7 is also a raw work in progress right now.

2006 Jeep WK on 33ís
HAM: KI6FPO
Offroad Photography:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-14-2021, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Jaegermeiste
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwoods View Post
Sub'd. Working at an apartment complex must be a challenge, specially when doing noisy things like hammering the pinch weld! I am not very close, being in Yorba Linda, but if you ever need a wrenching day, let me know. I have a decent set of tools and an open driveway. My 2006 WK 5.7 is also a raw work in progress right now.
Thanks!

post #4 of 9 Old 06-15-2021, 01:42 PM
Vertisce21

I really need to make my own build thread. Turns out I am doing far more to my Jeep than I ever intended to so...off I go!
post #5 of 9 Old 06-15-2021, 05:17 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce21 View Post
I really need to make my own build thread. Turns out I am doing far more to my Jeep than I ever intended to so...off I go!
That's the way it always seems to go. I've been messing with mine for almost twelve years now and still tinker with it. I think it's an incurable disease.
SKALA308 and Vertisce21 like this.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2021, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Jaegermeiste
2005 WK 

jaegermeiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
That's the way it always seems to go. I've been messing with mine for almost twelve years now and still tinker with it. I think it's an incurable disease.
It's all part of a master plot hatched by Willys in the long long ago to drive the economy called the Willys-Overland/Aftermarket-Industrial complex. It works by draining your wallet by enticing you with mods for your Jeep...
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2021, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Jaegermeiste
2005 WK 

Installed my Molle Platform Solutions WK rear window panels (http://www.molle-platform-solutions....w-molle-panels) today. The panels are nicely made, fairly simple to install, and seem durable enough. They screw directly into trim panels and the headliner, which I'm not crazy about as a mounting solution, but so far it seems to work well enough. Just don't hang any serious weight off them.

The fit is ok, but it's not a perfect match to the window profile. After several test fittings, I noticed that the critical point seemed to be the forward bottom screw. At least on my '05, there is a nearly imperceptible seam/edge where the rounded edge abruptly transitions to the flat horizontal that meets the window. Using that as a guide for the edge of the tabs of the metal panel worked well to keep them straight. I positioned both sides so that the point on the front of the panel just kissed the trim. I then adjusted the panels so that they were reasonably plumb (meaning the panel is closer to the glass at the top than the bottom), and screwed them in. I found it best to do the forward bottom screw first, pre-tapped as in the photos, then the rear most bottom screw, the middle bottom screws, then adjust plumb, the rear upper screw, and finally the forward upper screw.

The screws seem a tiny bit too long for the application - at least one hit something behind the trim panel (pretty sure it was the unibody). Otherwise they're fine, but the silver Phillips hardware gives a sort of cheap unfinished vibe to the install. I may change them out for something nicer (and probably black)..

Overall, I'm happy with them. I have a reasonably large stash of MOLLE gear in storage, so I'll definitely be wasting some time in upcoming weeks coming up with a decent organizational scheme.

Last edited by Jaegermeiste; 06-19-2021 at 10:41 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-2021, 11:36 AM
Vertisce21

lol! Those are my next mod planned right alongside hood louvers!
Jaegermeiste likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-22-2021, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Jaegermeiste
2005 WK 

Received and installed my Gobi rack yesterday; and installed awning and lights (currently not wired) today. Proper writeup coming later, but here's a teaser:
Attached Thumbnails
WK Teaser.jpg  

Tags
2005 wk , build , hemi , offroad , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in