Issue with alarm - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-23-2020, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Promostitch
2005 WK 

Issue with alarm

Hi, I wonder if you can help me with what seems to be an alarm issue. For a while now, and slowly getting worse, when I lock the car, about 15 seconds later the alarm sounds, and the indicator lights flash. I can usually unlock, then re-lock the car from the fob and it then be OK, but it is getting worse and requiring more locks and un-locks depending on how it is feeling.

At first I thought it might be due to the rear glass flipper switch as this had been bad for sometime, but I have now replaced this with a brand new switch, and the problem still persists. I also lubricated the bonnet switch as this was getting slightly stiff, but again the same issue.

When I open and close any of the doors, bonnet, rear hatch etc,. I can see the info screen tell me which is open, and closed, so I don't think it is any of the switches that is causing the issue. When I lock the car, I can see the red light in the dash cluster flashes for about 2 seconds, then goes solid for about a further 10 seconds - as soon as it goes out, the alarm sounds, and the indicators flash.

The only saving grace is that slowly the alarm sound has got quieter to the point that it now makes no sound at all, but the lights still flash, which is a pain when I leave the car parked, and don't want to flatten the battery.

It is an 05 5.7L RHD UK Jeep with 78,000 miles. Any help with pointing me in the right direction to get this resolved would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-24-2020, 10:50 AM
mjp83
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi,

At first I thought maybe you just need a new key fob battery. But the fact that the alarm goes off exactly when the light goes solid means that it is arming, and during that time the Jeep computer notices a security fault and triggers the alarm.

So my guess would be again, door switches. There must be some electrical current drawn on the system to trigger. I can tell you that our alarm did not go off with a recent parasitic drain of the battery, caused by the little glove box lamp, which decided to remain on!
post #3 of 5 Old 01-27-2020, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Promostitch
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp83 View Post
Hi,

At first I thought maybe you just need a new key fob battery. But the fact that the alarm goes off exactly when the light goes solid means that it is arming, and during that time the Jeep computer notices a security fault and triggers the alarm.

So my guess would be again, door switches. There must be some electrical current drawn on the system to trigger. I can tell you that our alarm did not go off with a recent parasitic drain of the battery, caused by the little glove box lamp, which decided to remain on!
Thank you very much for your reply. I hadn't given the glove box a thought, so will take a look at this.

Although I don't think the doors are causing the issue, I couldn't see where the switches are - I was expecting some regular plunge type switches (like is under the bonnet) on the inside edge of the doors, but couldn't see anything obvious. Can anyone tell me where they are please?

post #4 of 5 Old 02-03-2020, 10:06 PM
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promostitch View Post
Can anyone tell me where they are please?
On your Jeep and most newer vehicles, the switches are now part of the door latch itself.

2006 WK Laredo 4x4 4.7L
1993 ZJ Laredo 4x4 4.0L — Dead, sold, and rolling again
post #5 of 5 Old 02-04-2020, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Promostitch
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post
On your Jeep and most newer vehicles, the switches are now part of the door latch itself.
Many thanks - I will take a look at those too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in