Intermittent Sound.. CV? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 12-17-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Chadm424
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorghole View Post
Thanks for the update. I will get under tomorrow night or this weekend to pull off the factory skid plate (3 stripped torques so that will not be easy). I will look at the CV as well as poke my head around for the clucking. There seems to be to many things that need to be worked on all of a sudden on the Jeep but it has been reliable for the most part.

Good luck and hope the repair works. What kit was it anyway just incase I get to the same point?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Fr.../171236240704?

this is the kit that I ordered because it was the cheapest on eBay but Rockauto has it for just over $80 and it looks identical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 12-21-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Chadm424
2006 WK 

Just an update, I removed the driveshaft and pulled the CV and it definitely was worn out. Hopefully this is the cause of the sound, I will be installing the replacement tomorrow after it arrives so until then fingers crossed that this is in fact the issue. if it wasnt it would have become one very soon.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6313.jpg   IMG_6315.jpg  
post #18 of 23 Old 12-24-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Chadm424
2006 WK 

From what I can tell I believe this was my problem. I dont have the whine or tapping sound anymore. Now I just have to figure out how air is getting into my coolant and causing the expansion tank to have small bubbles. Also in my search I found that this CV is sometimes called the propeller shaft

post #19 of 23 Old 01-30-2016, 07:08 PM
Jorghole
2005 WK 

I finally got to dig into my issue after parking the Jeep for a while (life got busy with the arrival of our son and other things). So far the list of things that I found is the a rip in the tie-rod seal on the drivers side causing some undesired play, identified the top bushing on the diff is BAD causing the CLUNCK, and oil pressure sensor is bad. The front drive shaft CV that was in question has some play in it but not sure how much would be expected if any.

2005 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, 4" SL Lift, Rusty's leveling kit, DC Gun Metal wheels, 285/70-17 BFG AT KO, 4xGuard Front/Rear Skid, 4xGuard Diff Guard, SA Sliders, Gobi Rack, Cobra CB
Silver WK Club Member 55
post #20 of 23 Old 01-31-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Chadm424
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorghole View Post
I finally got to dig into my issue after parking the Jeep for a while (life got busy with the arrival of our son and other things). So far the list of things that I found is the a rip in the tie-rod seal on the drivers side causing some undesired play, identified the top bushing on the diff is BAD causing the CLUNCK, and oil pressure sensor is bad. The front drive shaft CV that was in question has some play in it but not sure how much would be expected if any.
I would tackle the ones you know are for sure bad first. In my case it was very obvious that the CV on the shaft was bad because it had flung the grease out onto the bottom of the Jeep. Sorry to hear that you have so much wrong with it.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-18-2016, 10:34 PM
Jorghole
2005 WK 

Well I have the Jeep back on the road. After a long weekend of work in the shop and my dad coming to town to help we got it done. By it I mean the tie-rod got replaced, oil pressure sensor replaced, and the upper diff bushing replaced. Does not sound like a whole lot but it was way more than it should have been. Starting with the tie-rod, darn thing did not want to come off for nothing so we had to put some heat on it to help it along (one thing to remember is that I have lived in apartments and in houses with no place to work on cars so my tool selection is very limited at this time) so off to home depot to get a torch and some other tools. Now time for the bushing. The skid plate bolts were stripped and would not come off for anything and my cordless drill was not much help but with the lift and a good view of the bushing we got a false sense of ability to reach it without having to drop the diff. After hours of pounding on the bushing trying to get it to fold in we gave up and back to town to get good drill bits to drill out them dang skid plate bolts. Finally we got that on the ground and out of the way so we started on dropping the diff. All went well except the drivers side drive shaft to the wheel would not come out (?). Not sure what we were doing wrong or if that is another issue but we at least could swing the diff down to get to the bushing. With a saws-all cut and more pounding the old was out and the new was on its way in with a fight. Got it to the "good enough" point so I moved to the oil pressure switch. Found it leaking oil and replaced it with ease. Putting the diff back up was not to bad but a little challenging with the "good enough" bushing.

Now back on the road I have not heard any noises and the big clunk that to many of us know has not been heard. Check engine light is not gone, got recalls fixed today, and alignment tomorrow. Still think the brakes are hanging up and getting the steering wheel shakes when stopping but that will be another weekend.

2005 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, 4" SL Lift, Rusty's leveling kit, DC Gun Metal wheels, 285/70-17 BFG AT KO, 4xGuard Front/Rear Skid, 4xGuard Diff Guard, SA Sliders, Gobi Rack, Cobra CB
Silver WK Club Member 55
post #22 of 23 Old 02-19-2016, 10:31 AM
skibum555
2005 WK 

use the key dance to find out what your check engine light means and then have them turn your brake rotors when you put new pads in. The wobble when stopping is from warped rotors. I just replaced the driver side cv shaft and lower control arm and clevis bolt and front lower control arm bolt only to find out that my noise was from the drive shaft to transfer case cv.

Jeepin ain't easy...
Proud Member of the BlAcK wK club
MEMBER #105
post #23 of 23 Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Gregs57Wk
2005 WK 

Mine has a similar noise, it stops making the noise if I shift into neutral though. I'll have to check the cv boots this weekend.

Tags
axle , cv , joint , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in