Intermittent Air bag light on 05 limited. Need help! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-03-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
motorhead86

Intermittent Air bag light on 05 limited. Need help!

Hey guys, not new to Jeep but new to the forum.

Recently picked up a 05 Grand Cherokee limited with the 5.7 HEMI. 63,000 miles.

The problem I am having is the Jeeps air bag light will randomly come on in the dash and also sound off a chime when it happens. (the red symbol on the cluster...not the passenger air bag light).

Some times it will pop on right after you start the Jeep and pop right off, some times it stays on for a few seconds and then shuts back off, some times it will stay on for a few minutes before it shuts off. Sometimes it will come on and shut of 2,3,4 or more times in a 20 miles trip. Sometimes it won't even come on at all!.

I have did alot of reading on forums and haven't been able to figure it out and was hoping someone here could help me pin point the issue.

I have checked all the wiring and connectors underneath the seats (read somewhere to check those areas). I have also seen that a bad clock spring can cause air bag light issues....the problem is I don't have any other issues that might accompany a bad clock spring ( all my steering wheel electrical components are in proper working order...all light and signal and wiper switches work,horn works,cruise works,radio works...etc...etc...).

I cant reproduce the conditions that cause the light to come on....I have tried cranking my wheel from lock to lock,I have tried wiggeling wires under the seats, I have tried bouncing up and down in the seats...etc...etc... It appears to be a totally random thing.

no signs of any previous damage to the Jeep either.

I did hook a scan tool up to the Jeep and found no current codes in the system, I did however when looking through the air bag module section of the scan tool find a stored code of B212C which showed as " Ignition Run/Start Input Circuit open". Again though,this was a stored code and not a active code. So as to if this is even related to the issue or not I don't know. may have been there from another issue long ago for all I know.

I did erase the code from the system though. But the air bag light issue is still present.

I hate running into little gremlins like this that give you a run for your money.

hoping there is someone else here that has had the same problem or is familiar with the issue that can point me in the right direction. It would be greatly appreciated!.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-03-2014, 01:50 PM
pancake
2005 WK 

I have the same problem, and have been too lazy to post it lol. Good write up and description of the problem. Hopefully someone will share some guidance

05 Jeep WK Laredo 4.7L QTII | K&N CAI | Flowmaster 40 | ...lift and such in planning phase...|
post #3 of 10 Old 06-03-2014, 02:03 PM
kris06
2006 WK 

Garage
I had this problem when easy entry was on just go to autozone get some electrical connector grease disconnect battery cables and grease all the connections under the sit the problem is with bad connection under

post #4 of 10 Old 06-03-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
motorhead86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris06 View Post
I had this problem when easy entry was on just go to autozone get some electrical connector grease disconnect battery cables and grease all the connections under the sit the problem is with bad connection under
Thanks for the info!

I already have some dielectric grease. I will give that a try and see if that will fix the issue. (hopefully).

I also had read on another forum that in the power distribution center under the hood that there are two 10 amp (red) fuses that are labeled as "spares". But on other models of Jeeps those locations control something to do with air bags.

Apparently some people found that after removing one or both of those "spare" fuses that they had similar air bag light issues for whatever reason.

Mine are there but I still removed them and inspected them and re installed them and made sure they were firmly seated.

I just did this so I have yet to test if it will in fact fix the problem. BUT if it does I will be sure to report back for anyone else that has or in the future has this issue.

In the mean time if anyone else has input to add about the issue, please feel free to do so!.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited "WK". 5.7L HEMI , 4x4, 63,000 Miles
post #5 of 10 Old 06-04-2014, 01:37 PM
kris06
2006 WK 

Garage
With engine running try moving both sits if the light goes on then you will know where the problem is mine was yellow connector under driver sit
post #6 of 10 Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
motorhead86

yeah I tried doing that before and could not get the light to pop on. engine running,ran seats all the way down,up,back and forward....also grabbed wiring under seat and wiggled it and still couldn't get the light to pop on.

However....after messing with those fuses yesterday I haven't had the airbag light pop on since. not sure if the problem is gone or not...being that it happens randomly. So I will put some more time in driving it and see for sure.

however today the back up sensor is acting up. the drivers side of the warning light bar was lighting up and the passenger side was not. and there was nothing behind the jeep. And then the system shut off and a warning message displayed in the message center saying "service park assist system". Not sure if it is related to any of the other issues I mentioned or if its just a random issue. But now I have to look into whats going on with that also.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-06-2014, 08:10 AM
kentman

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
If the WK is anything like the WJ, then your issue could be the airbag control module (ACM) under the center console.

I had the exact same symptoms you describe on the WJ. I bought a used ACM off eBay and installed it myself. It has been perfect ever since. Best $40 and one hour I ever spent.

Jeep-less
post #8 of 10 Old 10-28-2016, 10:11 AM
jamsomito

Resurrecting this thread because I'm having the same problem and I can't find a better matching thread for the problem. I'm having the same intermittent airbag light issue on my '05 laredo and error code B212C. Is the airbag control module generally the culprit here?

Also I seem to be finding references to both an Airbag Control Module (ACM) and Occupant Restraint Control Module (ORCM). Are these the same things?

Has anybody posted photos or a guide of their repair for this? I checked the tech write up / DIY write-ups thread and didn't see anything on this.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-28-2016, 10:28 AM
bmcasler
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsomito View Post
Resurrecting this thread because I'm having the same problem and I can't find a better matching thread for the problem. I'm having the same intermittent airbag light issue on my '05 laredo and error code B212C. Is the airbag control module generally the culprit here?

Also I seem to be finding references to both an Airbag Control Module (ACM) and Occupant Restraint Control Module (ORCM). Are these the same things?

Has anybody posted photos or a guide of their repair for this? I checked the tech write up / DIY write-ups thread and didn't see anything on this.
I had a similar problem on a 2000 WJ, it started with an airbag light, and eventually led to loss of the steering wheel controls for my cruise control (radio controls weren't hooked up to the aftermarket radio) turns out it was a bad clockspring under the steering wheel. I'm having the same airbag light popping on and off with my 2010 WK, I'm probably going to try switching out the clockspring first and seeing that fixes it.

1986 XJ "Nigel" -Sold
2000 WJ "Zoolander" -Totaled (RIP)
2010 WK Limited 5.7L Hemi "The Rhino"
post #10 of 10 Old 10-29-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
motorhead86

I know its been a couple years since I first posted on the issue but I wanted to give everyone and update so if anyone else has the issue they know what the fix is!.

This issue stayed with the jeep for almost the last 2 years. Until about 2 months ago I got fed up of having the light on.

I looked under the seats again just to make sure there wasn't something stuffed under one that I never noticed before. And all was good still.

I tried wiggling wires and that made no difference. I pulled the wiring out of the loom and checked it all and everything was good.

Finally as a last resort I said screw it, Im going to disconnect the yellow plug under the drivers side seat and check it and put some dielectric grease on it and put it back together. So I did just that. And much to my surprise that completely fixed the issue!.

The light has stayed off for about 2 months now.

I waited awhile to post the fix to make sure it was a permanent fix to the problem. I hope that helps someone else out there!.

Last edited by motorhead86; 09-22-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Tags
air bag , clockspring , light , seat , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in