Installed Refurbish PCM now engine cranks but no idle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-04-2021, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Andrae

Installed Refurbish PCM now engine cranks but no idle

Hi there names Andrae I own a 2005 Jeep grand Cherokee WK 5.7l
Long story short me and my family wanted to go on a vacation drove from Utah to California San Francisco to be exact after arriving in San Francisco my jeep motor started to have a rough idle so out of panic I went to the nearest mechanic shop they scanned my vehicle and said there was a cylinder six misfire code The mechanic then told me it could be a Solenoid or pcm issue, so me being desperate I overnighted a refurbished PCM it arrive the next day mechanic installed PCM and did a throttlebody relearn now engine cranks but no idle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-04-2021, 04:34 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrae View Post
Hi there names Andrae I own a 2005 Jeep grand Cherokee WK 5.7l
Long story short me and my family wanted to go on a vacation drove from Utah to California San Francisco to be exact after arriving in San Francisco my jeep motor started to have a rough idle so out of panic I went to the nearest mechanic shop they scanned my vehicle and said there was a cylinder six misfire code The mechanic then told me it could be a Solenoid or pcm issue, so me being desperate I overnighted a refurbished PCM it arrive the next day mechanic installed PCM and did a throttlebody relearn now engine cranks but no idle.
Hard to make a determination with this amount of info but I would say the odds of a sudden misfire being caused by a bad PCM are pretty slim. How much troubleshooting did the shop do ? Also, there’s a fair bit of “programming “ that needs to happen when you change the PCM not just a throttle body relearn.

You should be able to put the old PCM back and limp home with a misfire .. unless it’s an internal failure like a dropped valve or something . Then you’re SOL anyways.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #3 of 3 Old 05-04-2021, 06:01 PM
Vertisce21

Yeah, not sure why the shop would go straight to replacing the PCM. Could be a clogged injector, bad spark plug, timing chain issue...there's about half a dozen things I would check first before replacing the PCM starting with those three.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in