Install Radio & AV System - Step by Step - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 01-02-2020, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Install Radio & AV System - Step by Step

Our 6 disk CD changer wore out and other problems were developing with the system so for Christmas this year I bought a new Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX and installed it. Here is a step by step guide that applies to most any system that you might buy and to the Pioneer specifically.
http://www.chirpz.com/jeeps/AV-system.pdf
If you prefer the Web version Click the link Below.

http://chirpz.com/jeeps/AV/AV-system.html

Xmind, eastwood23 and gspfunk like this.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-02-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
If you are thinking about buying an expensive AV system that includes Navigation, save your money. If you use "Carplay" you really don't need a navigation system because it is built into Carplay and may work better too.

You can save 300-500 bucks just by omitting this un-needed feature. This will prove true for people who live in the USA... not sure about other countries. I suspect that anywhere Goggle maps or Apple maps are available this will also be true.

If you often travel outside of cell phone range, you may need a downloadable map like "Maps Me".

Check out my guide.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #3 of 26 Old 01-02-2020, 04:11 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
..Here is a step by step guide that applies to most any system that you might buy and to the Pioneer specifically...
WOW!!! Thank you (again).

For the '08 model year crowd, there is also a small screw inside the center cover in the little cubby compartment to remove.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.

post #4 of 26 Old 01-03-2020, 11:39 AM
Xmind
2007 WK 

You don't have the Boston Acoustics system, correct?

'07 GC CRD QDII, EHM, GDE ECO, DPF & intake rez delete, Paramount Perf Valve Body
post #5 of 26 Old 01-03-2020, 12:57 PM
Avs
2006 WK 

Looks like a nice system from the spec...plays high resolution audio. How do you like the touch screen? I used apple CarPlay a few times in another oem system. It crashed some often and itís often unusable.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-03-2020, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
Looks like a nice system from the spec...plays high resolution audio. How do you like the touch screen? I used apple CarPlay a few times in another oem system. It crashed some often and itís often unusable.
So far I like the touch screen. I have not used it much yet though. I wonder how long it will take to get scratched up and gooey.

I have not had any bad experiences with the Carplay yet. But I am still experimenting. I do not use standard Apple Apps for Music or Books... I prefer my own apps and so far that works fine.

Chirpz
post #7 of 26 Old 01-03-2020, 01:13 PM
Avs
2006 WK 

Install Radio & AV System - Step by Step

Quote:
So far I like the touch screen. I have not used it much yet though. I wonder how long it will take to get scratched up and gooey.

I have not had any bad experiences with the Carplay yet. But I am still experimenting. I do not use standard Apple Apps for Music or Books... I prefer my own apps and so far that works fine.

If you have vinyl record, convert them to flac or Apple lossless format rather than mp3. This unit will shine!

Btw how do you get the tire pressure to show up on the unit? Is it thru the idatalink cable or does it need to be plug in to obd2 port?
post #8 of 26 Old 01-04-2020, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
If you have vinyl record, convert them to flac or Apple lossless format rather than mp3. This unit will shine!

Btw how do you get the tire pressure to show up on the unit? Is it thru the idatalink cable or does it need to be plug in to obd2 port?
I'll try the formats when I get the chance. Thanks for the tip! I am in the habit of using mp3 for everything. I don't think there is any benefit to converting from mp3 to flac because the loss has already occured when I made the mp3's....but for future stuff...hmmm.

There IS an obd2 connector wire that runs from the new unit to the obd2 port. I ran the wire and made the connection. I had to disconnect my "Garmin Mechanic" to do this. The GM was very nice to have and use, but now it is going the way of the dark side. If you want to use your scanner you must unplug this connector first, unless you chose to hardwire the pioneer connection which was more than I wanted to do and according the directions, only works with some scanners.

FYI, the Garmin Mechanic is a device that Garmin sold for a while. They no longer sell it. The GM plugs into the obd2 port and resides there. It communicates with SOME models of the Garmin Nuvi by bluetooth. It tracks your engine performance, displays gauges when you want them, and will display and clear basic codes (but not all of the fancy Jeep codes.) . It saved my butt on several occasions when I had alternator troubles. The annoying thing about the GM is that it took 5 key presses to get to the gauges and 3 to flip back to your maps. The new Pioneer gets to the gauges in one long press of the steering wheel switch (as I have it programmed.)

Tire pressure still shows on my dash, but it can take several presses of the menu button to get to the display depending on where it was left at. Again, the Pioneer goes instantly to the "Info" screen showing the tire display in one long press of another steering wheel switch.

Chirpz
post #9 of 26 Old 01-04-2020, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Soooo.... does anyone want my old Navigation unit with CD changer and radio??

Also, would anyone like to buy my Garmin Mechanic?
Maybe I'll post it in Classifieds, but it would be a long shot since it only works with older model Nuvi's.

Chirpz
post #10 of 26 Old 01-05-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
For those who are interested, this is a picture of the back of the old unit.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1662.jpg  

Chirpz
post #11 of 26 Old 01-06-2020, 11:35 AM
eastwood23
2009 WK 

Great write up. I had a pioneer unit in my old WK and wired a third-party backup camera to it. I'm interested to see what is needed to get the pioneer unit to work with the OEM backup camera. Apple Car Play is something I would love to add to my current WK.
post #12 of 26 Old 01-07-2020, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwood23 View Post
Great write up. I had a pioneer unit in my old WK and wired a third-party backup camera to it. I'm interested to see what is needed to get the pioneer unit to work with the OEM backup camera. Apple Car Play is something I would love to add to my current WK.
I did a bunch of web searching last night and I still have not found an answer for getting the OEM, already installed, backup camera to work with the Pioneer. iDatalink for this model does not work with Uconnect, that is clear.... if the camera is managed somehow by Uconnect and by the Jeeps ECM there probably is no solution and I will need to install a new camera.

According to what I have read, even if you have a new camera, using the backup camera is a two step process. You put it in reverse and then push and hold a button on the head unit. That is a change and will be annoying at first, the same note claimed that the the backup camera could be used anytime even when you are not backing up by pressing the button.... sometimes that would be nice.

Directions for these things are not all that good. I cannot even find in plain English or clear diagram WHERE the a new backup camera plugs into the Pioneer. I guess I will have to buy one and experiment, but I am super-timid because I don't want to fry anything. Not at these prices.
eastwood23 likes this.

Chirpz
post #13 of 26 Old 01-15-2020, 02:00 PM
dj_hp
2008 WK 

Quote:
I did a bunch of web searching last night and I still have not found an answer for getting the OEM, already installed, backup camera to work with the Pioneer. iDatalink for this model does not work with Uconnect, that is clear.... if the camera is managed somehow by Uconnect and by the Jeeps ECM there probably is no solution and I will need to install a new camera.

According to what I have read, even if you have a new camera, using the backup camera is a two step process. You put it in reverse and then push and hold a button on the head unit. That is a change and will be annoying at first, the same note claimed that the the backup camera could be used anytime even when you are not backing up by pressing the button.... sometimes that would be nice.

Directions for these things are not all that good. I cannot even find in plain English or clear diagram WHERE the a new backup camera plugs into the Pioneer. I guess I will have to buy one and experiment, but I am super-timid because I don't want to fry anything. Not at these prices.

I'm in the same path as you, I have an 08 Overland w/ factory nav and backup camera. After some more internet research and speaking with Crutchfield and iDataLink, it seems like you would need the iDatalink HRN-AV-CH1 adapter to retain backup camera. I found it weird as this adapter is described to simply retain the rear seat DVD screen but apparently the adapter includes an extra yellow RCA cable that is in fact, the backup camera. I've placed my order on Crutchfield and unfortunately, this adapter is currently on back order from iDatalink themselves.

So, I guess mystery is somewhat solved, but not 100% confirmed. However, both Crutchfield and iDatalink techs confirmed this so..... *shrug*
Chirpz and eastwood23 like this.
post #14 of 26 Old 01-16-2020, 11:15 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
As far as I'm aware, the factory backup camera is more or less plug and play with a new head unit. Reverse trigger is in the main wiring harness for the factory head unit. Video lead needs to be cut and a standard male RCA connector attached instead.

I replaced the entire stereo in my WK this past spring and retained the factory back-up camera

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #15 of 26 Old 01-16-2020, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
I talked to Pioneer support and they claim that the OEM gps antenna will work with their system if you can get the plugs to match. Next time I have it out, I'll cut and splice the plug and start using the OEM antenna. Will report how that works out.

Chirpz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in