1Likes
  • 1 Post By Raffish

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-17-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
JeepN_A_CJ7

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Inner tie rod replacement

I've never had to change an inner tie rod, but the time has come! Can you replace it without the inner tie rod tool? If so, what standard tools do you need? I tried looking for a write up for this but didn't see one, thanks in advance!

Always Jeepin!

*2007 WK QDII HEMI
*1980 CJ7 4.2L w/FAST FI

Silver WK Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-18-2019, 10:32 AM
Raffish
2005 WK 

Did mine a few months back. They were super sloppy and it helped reduce clunking over bumps.

You will need an inner tie rod tool, I borrowed one from a parts store.

The hardest part was crimping the boot ear clamp just because there's not much room, you'll need side crimpers.

I used cheap RA parts that have been fine so far.
JeepN_A_CJ7 likes this.

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms
post #3 of 9 Old 10-18-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
JeepN_A_CJ7

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Would I be able to use large zip ties instead of the clamps, I find those type of clamps to be a pain and not worth the effort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffish View Post
Did mine a few months back. They were super sloppy and it helped reduce clunking over bumps.

The hardest part was crimping the boot ear clamp just because there's not much room, you'll need side crimpers.

Always Jeepin!

*2007 WK QDII HEMI
*1980 CJ7 4.2L w/FAST FI

Silver WK Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-18-2019, 04:13 PM
Windexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffish View Post

When you say sloppy were they actually worn in the ball/cup area, or just very floppy when you removed the outer TRE? I've got mine apart at the moment and the inners "seem" ok but they do move very freely through their range of motion.

2005 WK Limited Hemi, 2" OME lift, header back exhaust, 245/75/R17 MT, Superchips tuned, Roof rack
post #5 of 9 Old 10-19-2019, 07:40 PM
Raffish
2005 WK 

[QUOTE=JeepN_A_CJ7;40770695]Would I be able to use large zip ties instead of the clamps, I find those type of clamps to be a pain and not worth the effort?

Probably..? Not sure how you'd get enough tension though.. don't think there's even enough room to put pliers in it and twist...

I busted the ear clamp that came with it and had to grab another. Parts stores should carry them..

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms
post #6 of 9 Old 10-19-2019, 07:42 PM
Raffish
2005 WK 

When you say sloppy were they actually worn in the ball/cup area, or just very floppy when you removed the outer TRE? I've got mine apart at the moment and the inners "seem" ok but they do move very freely through their range of motion.[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice any real wear it damage,just super floppy.. like lift it up and let go and it drops immediately. New ones are stiff

post #7 of 9 Old 10-19-2019, 08:49 PM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
seems like the mopar parts for these are discontinued now

did you guys put new boots? if they came with the kits, which brands did you use?

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #8 of 9 Old 10-19-2019, 08:52 PM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

Did both of mine recently. Used a large pipe wrench. One of the boots crimped on no problem and the other didn’t work out. I tried a zip tie twice and it failed in short order both times. Ended up using a regular worm gear hose clamp and it’s held up fine. Used an extension and universal with an 8mm socket to tighten it down.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-21-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
JeepN_A_CJ7

1980 CJ7 

Garage
I ordered the cheapest set of inner tie rods from Amazon that came with boots ($23) to get the boots, I couldn't find them sold separately anywhere so I went with that. Yeah, for some reason just buying the new boots by themselves wasn't easy to find.

Forgot to mention that I'm installing Jeeperf's inner's and outer's so I won't have to deal with them ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
seems like the mopar parts for these are discontinued now

did you guys put new boots? if they came with the kits, which brands did you use?

Always Jeepin!

*2007 WK QDII HEMI
*1980 CJ7 4.2L w/FAST FI

Silver WK Club

Last edited by JeepN_A_CJ7; 10-21-2019 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Added verbage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in