Inherited 2008 CRD - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-20-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
sc32valve

Inherited 2008 CRD

Hey guys,
I've been on the forum for some time, previously with a 2014 Ecodiesel. I can't seem to find my username, but anyway, my 2014 was bought back for emissions reasons.

Now, I just recently received a 2008 CRD GC Limited from my father. 27,000 miles, garage kept, basically showroom condition. I've always loved this car well before I bought my 2014. I was actually the one that found out the 08 CRD was available and placed a factory order for it for my father, flew down to Florida to pick it up, etc.

Anyway, it seems that you guys have really ironed out the kinks on these over the past 11 years. I would like to keep this car forever as it has considerable sentimental value, so I'm asking, what are the must fixes that I need to take care of NOW and for the longevity of the vehicle.

Really appreciate the help and very happy to have a diesel Jeep again.

Xmind and wildbill23c like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-20-2019, 07:48 PM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Wow, that's very low mileage. I'd recommend a tune that shuts off the EGR, that is the worse thing for a diesel engine. Other than that, just keep up on maintenance.
wildbill23c likes this.

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
227,000+ miles!
post #3 of 18 Old 11-20-2019, 07:53 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

I'd redirect the CCV to the exhaust so it's not dumping oil right in front of the turbo, and then drive it forever.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ

post #4 of 18 Old 11-20-2019, 09:31 PM
ZJPunk98

2007 WK 

Garage
Good for you picking up your father's 08 crd. I would encourage the same, egr delete and Elephant hose mode. Frequent oil changes. Unfortunately GDE is not selling anything right now, so tunes with deletes are out. Unless you know someone. Last year I picked up an 07 with 65k on it. I thought that was low....

Erik
98ZJ sold, 02WJ sold, 07 WK CRD
post #5 of 18 Old 11-20-2019, 10:09 PM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

Sad way to get a Jeep, but glad to here its in good hands...I'm not educated on the diesel Jeeps, I've heard they've had some problems but several fixes of course by now. Not much of a diesel person anyways but great score on your dad's Grand Cherokee. Seems a pretty rare engine choice, at least I've seen maybe 1 or 2 diesel grand cherokees here in southern Idaho...there's a diesel Jeep Liberty here in town, first one of those I had seen, didn't even know the Liberty had a diesel option till I saw it.

Sorry about the loss of your father, he'd be happy that you are takin' care of his Jeep.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-21-2019, 03:33 PM
AndyWood

Hi SC32Valve,

I have been trolling these forums for a week because I too have just inherited an '07 CRD with 80 000km on it from my grandfather.

I am going to be following this thread closely as I too want to keep this car forever. It's up on the hoist right now getting new brakes and rotors. I put a new Glowplug in it after it gave me a P0671 code. I'm now peeling back all the rust scale and am going to put rust converter and paint on the frame.

What have you done to yours or plan on doing?

One known issue, that I will have to deal with soon, is leaky fuel tanks. The skid plate underneath the tank collects debris and holds moisture causing the tank to rot quickly. The part is discontinued and the aftermarket part is 1200 CAD.

Another issue I'm having is a really hard to turn and finicky ignition, apparently the original key was too loose and would sometimes turn the truck off, so there was some sort of recall.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-21-2019, 03:57 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Ditch the metal tank and swap in a plastic one. I got one from a junkyard 09 5.7 for $160 CAD, spent $10 on the one piece of hose and two clamps you need to move a vent line for it to work, and I'll never have to worry about it rusting out.
badgerwithhands likes this.

post #8 of 18 Old 11-22-2019, 03:19 PM
viking427

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJPunk98 View Post
.."Unfortunately GDE is not selling anything right now, so tunes with deletes are out. Unless you know someone. "..

Both JR Auto Tuning and Malone sell tunes with or without (DPF,EGR) deletes;

https://chiptuning.ca/#https://chipt.../93/114/116/81

https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/...DC16/Stage-1.5
post #9 of 18 Old 11-22-2019, 03:44 PM
AndyWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
move a vent line for it to work, and I'll never have to worry about it rusting out.
So you just had to splice in a longer piece of hose to get the vent line the correct length? Otherwise it was just a straight swap?
post #10 of 18 Old 11-22-2019, 03:52 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

There's a thread on here somewhere with pictures but the vent lines are slightly different so you need to redirect one. If I remember right it was a couple feet of 5/16" fuel rated hose but search for the thread (I commented in it, if that helps) for the specifics. Other than that all I did was rinse the tank with some diesel (the wreckers had already cleaned it somehow, it didn't even smell like gas) and swapped my pump on. I got a new o-ring for the pump to be safe. Note that the pump assembly is spring loaded if you're wondering why it looks too big when you go to put it back in.

There's also a ground wire that goes to the steel tank as well, I assume that's just to ground the tank itself but I extended the wire, added a ring terminal and attached it to the underside of the body with a self-tapping bolt and blasted it with some paint just to be safe.

post #11 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 03:47 PM
AndyWood

I've been researching this topic for a while now, and have got some conflicting information on switching to plastic. One person thought that condensation would be a problem with water in the fuel as a result. You think there is any truth to this?
post #12 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 05:01 PM
SteveROntario

It is not a problem for condensation, Dodge has been doing it for decades. I don't know why they went steel on the Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0368.jpg   IMG_0381.jpg  
underscore and AndyWood like this.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #13 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 11:57 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Not to mention a handy fuel/water separator on all diesels.

If you are keeping the stock intake, swap out the orange seal on the turbo side. Most places only let you buy an entire new intake hose, but you can find just the black seal if you search enough.

Make sure you swap out the front differential bushings once they start to go or they'll mess up the front driveshaft's cv joints.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,
post #14 of 18 Old 12-02-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
sc32valve

I just wanted to thank you guys for all the kind and helpful words.

So far, I've replaced all the glow plugs (check engine light came on first cold day start), the intake tube with the updated black seal, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter with liquimoly 4200, and little things like wiper blades and such. I'm definitely going to drop the gas tank skid plate and see what's going on in there all though I don't expect much as there really isn't any rust showing anywhere else. Maybe it's worth it to coat it with some rust inhibitor as a precaution?

I also found the "diesel" service manual here on the forums, but it seems far from complete. No diesel related DTCs, no mention of the glow plugs, etc. Just general engine breakdown and rebuild. Does anyone know if there's an additional supplement out there with the diesel related DTCs and diagnostic procedure?

Thanks again guys and happy holidays!

EDIT: Ohh and Phillip was kind enough to recover my original account and merge, changing my join date from Nov. 2019 back to Nov. 2003. LOL, small difference and happy to be back.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-02-2019, 12:36 PM
AndyWood

Could you tell me what "elephant hose mode" is?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in