Increasing WK 3.0 CRD Horse Power - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 03-27-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Funtana40

Increasing WK 3.0 CRD Horse Power

Hi every one,

First of all I must introduce myself,

Thisi is Mike from Spain, who lived for 4 years in Maryland and love the American life style and the way you develop and power cars...

So far, when I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD 218HP to which I would like to increase power in order to get acceleration and a little more top speed...

Here, there are not many guys who specialize in preparing American Cars ( which I am in love with...) so I would like your recommmendation.

I have been looking to the GTS chiptuning from RaceChip but do not know and google find real results. So that said, Does anyone knoe them? Do they improve the behaveor? Can damage the engina?

Below is the link to the one I am considering to install, so if possible I would apprecite your opinnions and feedback to this consideration...

https://www.racechip.es/shop/jeep/gr...0kw-510nm.html

Thanks in advance

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 03-27-2019, 12:15 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

The diesel is a Mercedes engine, so you might have been luck over there finding European tuners making stuff for Sprinters and the like. Over here I believe the two go-to tunes are from GDE and Malone.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #3 of 39 Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Funtana40

Miguel Durbán Acién <[email protected]>

19:37 (hace 8 minutos)

para mí

Thanks a lot underscore,

Even in Europe is difficult to find "really" tuners for this car....Most of them are based on chiptuning and from my little knowledge I always heard that the best way to tune a an engine is changing parts within the engine (like in old times) and not throught the electronics.

I know remodeling the engine may be so expensive that does not worth, but I am afraid of spending $500 if i do not get sensations or damage the engine.....I am not specting the SRT torq but may be improving my engine. Tired of BMWs and AUDIs showing off their acceleration; however over land, sand ice or whatever terrain they have nothing to do

Thanks for your quick answer

Mike

post #4 of 39 Old 03-27-2019, 08:23 PM
2008CRD

I haven't used that product but am buying the green diesel tuner as the reviews are telling me it is the best option. There is a local tuner who said they can tune it as well but didnt want to give up my Jeep for the few days they needed it for.
post #5 of 39 Old 03-28-2019, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Funtana40

Thanks a lo CRD2008,

I will keep tooking different options and tink about the best one here in Spain...

Any other experiences?

Regards
post #6 of 39 Old 03-28-2019, 10:36 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Hot tune from Green Diesel Engineering, bigger intercooler, and intake resonator delete. Huge difference.

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #7 of 39 Old 03-28-2019, 02:39 PM
bener_m

I have ordered the hot tune from Green Diesel Engineering - they are shipping the flash tool to me in NZ. The tune will make a definite impact on performace - taking you to 255hp.

Your idea that it is better to change engine components than to get a computer tune are not quite right for the OM642 engine. They are under powered from factory due to measures taken by the manufacturer to reduce noise and emissions, so there is a lot to be gained before you start changing engine components. The right ECU tune will give you big gains for the lowest cost. As others mentioned, you can replace the turbo resonator and upgrade the intercooler too, but the tune is the best place to start.

GDE are having a sale at the moment too! http://www.greendieselengineering.co...ne/2_28.action
post #8 of 39 Old 03-29-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Funtana40

Thank you very much Bener_m

I am just going to order the Racechip GTS option.

Looking forward to check it out....and giving you feedback

Have a nice weekend folks

Funtana40
bener_m likes this.
post #9 of 39 Old 03-29-2019, 04:03 PM
bener_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtana40 View Post
Thank you very much Bener_m

I am just going to order the Racechip GTS option.

Looking forward to check it out....and giving you feedback

Have a nice weekend folks

Funtana40
No worries! I'd definitely recommend getting a flash tune like Green Diesel Egineering's one, rather than a 'piggy back' type chip that you are looking at. The flash tune will replace the stock settings on your factory ECU, which allows for more control.

The Race Chip style of 'add on' chip is more of a trick for the ECU. As far as I know, they are just tricking the ECU by sending different sensor values - telling the ECU there is less boost than there actually is, for example.

The flash tune allows the tuner to control all of these settings directly, without the need for tricking the ECU. It will also alter things like pre-injection, turbo vane settings, and stop your intake getting filled with soot from the EGR.

GDE are having a sale at the moment, so its only $595USD for the Hot Tune, and it's one of the best CRD tunes you can get - 255HP! I've just ordered one and their service has been excellent.

You can use comgateway to make the shipping cheaper too. They ship to comgateway USA and then comgateway ships to you.

http://www.greendieselengineering.co...ne/2_28.action
post #10 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 10:22 PM
Gc23

Do you have a dpf or egr valve on it
post #11 of 39 Old 03-31-2019, 02:53 PM
bener_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gc23 View Post
Do you have a dpf or egr valve on it
GDE tune will fix the EGR valve issues, and can be customised if you remove your DPF. Luckily mine is the model without DPF.
post #12 of 39 Old 04-01-2019, 02:32 PM
jonxley

2010 WK 

Garage
Can you not get an ECU remap service where you are? Mine has been remapped to 260HP - typical cost £200 in UK
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  
post #13 of 39 Old 04-01-2019, 11:03 PM
bener_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonxley View Post
Can you not get an ECU remap service where you are? Mine has been remapped to 260HP - typical cost £200 in UK
What company did yours? 260HP seems like a lot - GDE is pretty well known and only do 242hp Eco Tune and 255hp Hot Tune
post #14 of 39 Old 04-13-2019, 10:27 PM
2008CRD

After getting the heads up on the GDE sale - thanks Bener - I ordered it last week and just installed it today. The results are nothing short of amazing! Feels like a new Jeep
post #15 of 39 Old 04-14-2019, 08:07 PM
bener_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008CRD View Post
After getting the heads up on the GDE sale - thanks Bener - I ordered it last week and just installed it today. The results are nothing short of amazing! Feels like a new Jeep
Such a good upgrade!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in