Ignition Switch Recall - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 07-15-2020, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Ignition Switch Recall

My ignition switch is finally starting to act up and give me codes that aren't really there. Today I wiggled the switch a little and the dash readout started going nuts. I even got a Service 4WD message on the EVIC with no codes showing when I scanned it. Bottom line, as much as I hate to, I am going to make an appointment with my local dealer and have it changed under the recall. This will be the first time my WK will be going to the dealer in the 11+ years I've owned it, and I don't need them screwing something up like so many end up doing.

This brings me to some questions for those of you that have had this done.
1. I am guessing all new keys/fobs will be needed or do they use your ignition key innards??
2. To your knowledge did they mess with the programming in the PCM or Wireless Control Module, such as key programming and so on??? I just put a 2008 PCM in my 2006 so I can access the transmission programming and make changes to the shift schedules, torque management settings, etc. with my HP Tuner. I don't want or need them to screw anything up.
3. How long did it take them to do the job?
4. Any problems since they did the recall?
5. Any other handy hints or things to ask them or watch out for?

I'll try to get this done in the next couple weeks and let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for any and all input.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-15-2020, 07:41 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Pre08 models keep the same keys. 08+ get new keys.

I think in your case they don't need to plug in to the PCM, but I could be wrong. I'd label the obd port 'DO NOT FLASH' to be safe though. There are nice covers available that express that sentiment.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #3 of 19 Old 07-15-2020, 07:52 PM
Alex_

1. I was able to keep my keys on a 07 model
2. as far as I knew when they done it, don't recall them messing with the pcm
3. about a day
4. only issue I have is that I have to push the key in before I can turn off the jeep
5. I think since you have an 08 model unlike previous the 05-07 (metal keys), you gonna get new plastic keys.

edit: so far I did it years ago and now big issues on it; before I did the recall I had the jeep turn off while driving.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-16-2020, 05:13 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Be clear to the service writer that you do not want them to "update" any software in the PCM, TCM, etc. You only want them to change the ignition switch. My Dealer decided to do "updates" which I did not want or need.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-16-2020, 06:08 AM
bobwatford123
2006 WK 

Same keys for my 06.....other than having to somewhat annoyingly push in to turn the ignition now I've had no issues.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-16-2020, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Thanks for the input guys. If they're not changing the keys, they shouldn't have to mess with the PCM or the WCM. Good idea though to somehow label the OBDII port with, "Do Not Flash" or something like that.

I'd like to hear more "experiences" with this is anyone else has some input. If I have this done, in the 16 years that I've had Damiler Benz vehicles, I will have only had each of the three of them to the dealer one time each for recalls....one for the airbag inflators, one for a new gas tank and now the WK for the ignition switch. Didn't have any problems with the first two, so I'll keep my fingers crossed on this one. Can you tell I am not a big fan of dealers?

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-17-2020, 02:49 PM
brent_m
2007 WK 

I've, so far, have avoided the recall for probably the same reasons you are. I'm a tall guy. I don't worry about my knee hitting the dash in a collision and turning off the vehicle before airbags deploy.

I'm curious to hear the outcome.

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7 Hemi - Airaid CAI - Magnaflow
post #8 of 19 Old 07-18-2020, 09:51 PM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_m View Post
I've, so far, have avoided the recall for probably the same reasons you are. I'm a tall guy. I don't worry about my knee hitting the dash in a collision and turning off the vehicle before airbags deploy.

I'm curious to hear the outcome.
Same here. Although don't have a problem with my knee hitting the key, never had an issue, and don't keep anything attached to the fob, I've avoided the recall in my 06 as have a basic problem with any fix that needs an instruction sticker on how to simply start the vehicle just seems wrong to me. That and reports of the replacement being unusually hard to turn...turned me off. But have heard that does get better.

But sounds like is the solution to your problem so please report back on outcome. Good luck!
post #9 of 19 Old 07-22-2020, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

OK, today I made an appointment for the 27th at 7:00 AM. They had to order the switch but it should be there in time. They said to allow a half day????, but I think they should be able to do the job in less than two hours. I also had them add to the work order to ONLY DO the ignition switch and not the open FDCM recall and made them write on the workorder, "DO NOT TOUCH OBD2 PORT."

We'll see how it goes and I'll report on Monday night.....if they get it done, LOL.

Edit: It looks like there are two components to the key/ignition switch, the key cylinder and the ignition switch itself. Does anyone know if they change both parts or just the cylinder mechanism? Is the key mechanism the problem or is the switch the problem.....or both?

post #10 of 19 Old 07-22-2020, 09:04 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

my son in law is a service manager for the local jeep dealer. on his advice, i have put off doing this recall. His experience is that the reprogram fails, or the switch fails. sounds like if its not broken, dont fix it.
post #11 of 19 Old 07-23-2020, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Reprogram what? Didn't know an ignition switch/key mechanism needed to be programmed. The only reason I am having it done is because I am now starting to have a problem with it......codes that aren't really there, flashing dash warning lights, etc. I am with you though....if it ain't broke don't fix it. When I take it in, I've told them NOT to do the FDCM recall and subsequent reprogram. I also have a note in the work order for them not to touch the OBDII port, as I've just put a later model PCM in it and am in the midst of programming it the way I want it. We'll see how that goes.

What I really need to know now is if they're going to replace both components (there are two components to the ignition switch).....the ignition switch and the key lock mechanism or just the key lock mechanism that is connected to the ignition switch.

post #12 of 19 Old 07-23-2020, 07:43 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Reprogram what? Didn't know an ignition switch/key mechanism needed to be programmed. The only reason I am having it done is because I am now starting to have a problem with it......codes that aren't really there, flashing dash warning lights, etc. I am with you though....if it ain't broke don't fix it. When I take it in, I've told them NOT to do the FDCM recall and subsequent reprogram. I also have a note in the work order for them not to touch the OBDII port, as I've just put a later model PCM in it and am in the midst of programming it the way I want it. We'll see how that goes.

What I really need to know now is if they're going to replace both components (there are two components to the ignition switch).....the ignition switch and the key lock mechanism or just the key lock mechanism that is connected to the ignition switch.
On other models, they just changed the detent ring and spring inside the ignition. That's why the keys and programming didn't need to be replaced. I think it would be the same in this case.

After the repair you might notice that in order to turn the ignition off and to remove the key, you will have to actually push the key in a bit before turning to off. It's the key lock system Chrysler has used for years but it's so weak on the WK you hardly notice it . On my ZJ it's very noticeable .

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #13 of 19 Old 07-23-2020, 08:58 AM
19GCTrailhawk

2019 WK 

Years ago I had the recall done on my 07 (metal keys). They added a sticker that said "push in to turn" or something like that. Every time I used it I would just turn the key. It's now worn in like a normal ignition They used the original FOBIK and no programming that I noticed. It seemed it was just a new ignition assembly.
I swear every Chrysler recall that I have had done plain sucked. Since 1994 I can't think of one recall that was an actual improvement over pre-recall.
However for the OP this would be like a free repair

2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7
2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7
Grand Cherokee Owner since 1994
post #14 of 19 Old 07-23-2020, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Thanks guys!! Free repair is the ONLY reason I am doing this. I am not a fan of dealers, except for selected by me recalls. The only two I've ever had done have turned out alright though. So, it sounds like they're not likely to change the ignition switch part, just mess with the key part?? I don't know if my problem is the key or the switch, that's why I was wondering if they change both components. I guess the sloppy key operation could be causing the switch portion to not work correctly. If the recall doesn't fix my random, non-existent DTC's and flashing dash lights, I'll be pulling it apart and replacing the switch part too. For instance, my "Service 4WD System" MIL light and C1417 DTC is totally random (it's on most of the time though) but it works fine when the solenoid is checked with the scanner and I can sometimes turn the MIL off by wiggling the key. Fingers crossed.

post #15 of 19 Old 07-27-2020, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

I had the ignition switch recall done first thing this morning and everything went like clockwork. It took them all of an hour to do it. As everyone said, the new ignition switch is a little stiff right now but I guess it'll free up more as time goes on. The recall included the re-keyed (to my original keys) ignition lock and a new ignition switch. The bad news it that it didn't clear the C1417, "Front Differential Control Circuit Low". I think I've found out what may be going on though. After changing over to the 2008 PCM, the FSM states, "NOTE: If the SKIM, PCM or FCM was replaced, refer to the service information for proper programming procedures." It appears that I need the vehicle PIN to reprogram the FDCM. When checking the front differential solenoid operation and the complete 4WD system, everything works as it should, so I am now pretty sure it is all a programming issue caused by changing to the 2008 PCM. In order to do this though, I need to have the vehicle PIN number. I was able to get the one for my 300C about 6 months ago, but today at the dealer, the guy wouldn't give it to me. Does anyone know of another way to get the PIN? Anyway, the ignition recall is done and I am confident that it is not causing any of the code problems I have been getting. I'll keep reading the FSM and forums until I figure this all out. For those that haven't had this done and are curious like I was, below are pictures of what all they replaced under the recall.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010002.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in