Ignition coils and wires - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-01-2020, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
bad2dabone332

Ignition coils and wires

I'm finding out that the previous owners actually did next to nothing except for minimal maintenance (oil change and replaced air filter). I attempted to change the spark plugs this afternoon, and it seems that they have never been changed. The coils are stuck in there, as are the wires. I can imagine that the spark plugs are stuck, also. So, it appears that I will have to replace the coils along with the wires, not to mention the plugs.

The question is, what can I do to get these parts loosened and removed?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-01-2020, 07:56 PM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

Not sure what exactly your issue is but In my cases the cool boots were coming out broken, with the majority remaining attached to the spark plugs. I got a boot removal tool. It worked well for me on my 08 4.7.

Ripped Spark Plug Boot Remover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CE9XZI4..._9NJnEb7TKQDWE
post #3 of 14 Old 02-01-2020, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
bad2dabone332

Well, the issue is that it appears that the coils and the wires are all stuck in there respective locations. I did order a spark plug wire puller, along with 3 new coils and wires.

I guess what I am asking for is some method to free up the coils and wires, as well as the spark plugs themselves. That's what is really making me nervous. I don't want to have to pull the heads because of a stripped or broken spark plug. Looks like these are the factory plugs, and after 129,000 miles, I don't foresee easy removal of the plugs.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-04-2020, 07:01 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

My guess is that, since it's apparently not been given any TLC by the PO, you'll probably have some difficulty getting the coils off. Once you get the bolts securing the coils to the valve covers loose, you'll probably have to gently but firmly pry them loose, being careful not to damage the coils. The coil boots are probably stuck onto the spark plugs and you'll end up tearing all or most of them, with a good portion still sticking to the plugs. New coil boots are available at most parts place (RockAuto has them for about $3-4 each) and are easily fitted to the coils after getting what's left of the old ones off of them.

When you change the spark plugs, do it only when the engine is cold, be sure to use copper core ones, gapped correctly and of the correct heat range, DO NOT use anti-seize compound on them, and use a torque wrench to tighten them to the proper torque setting. Be extremely cautious to not over torque them. When reinstalling the coils, be sure to put a small dab of dielectric compound on the ends of the boots so they'll be easy to remove next time. My guess is that this was not done if/when the plugs were last changed, if ever.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-05-2020, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
bad2dabone332

These coils are not what I was expecting. There are 3 coils on the driver's side of the engine, each with a terminal with spark plug wire leading to the passenger side of the engine. This is definitely not something I have ever seen. I have purchased a set of 3 coils, and a set of wires. I also bought a plug wire tool to (hopefully) get a better grip on the coils and wires.

I was expecting a COP like the Hemi.

post #6 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
bad2dabone332

You mention to NOT use anti seize. The manual calls for it. Why do you advise against it?

post #7 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 08:53 AM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad2dabone332 View Post
You mention to NOT use anti seize. The manual calls for it. Why do you advise against it?

You're saying the Factory Service Manual says to use anti-seize compound on NEW spark plugs? What vehicle and what engine are we talking about? Are the NEW spark plugs silver in color?

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
bad2dabone332

It's not a factory service manual, it's a Haynes repair manual. This is for a 2009 Grand Cherokee Limited with a 3.7L engine. And yes, the plugs are silver in color.

post #9 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 01:12 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad2dabone332 View Post
It's not a factory service manual, it's a Haynes repair manual. This is for a 2009 Grand Cherokee Limited with a 3.7L engine. And yes, the plugs are silver in color.

Therein lies the problem....the Haynes repair manual is WRONG. Here's a few references from the major spark plug manufacturers regarding the use of anti-seize compound on NEW spark plugs. The silver coating on the plugs is the anti-seize. Reinstalling a USED spark plug would require a SMALL dab of anti-seize compound.

https://www.chryslerminivan.net/thre...ic-lube.10297/ (Read the NOTE)

https://www.ngkplugpro.ca/content/co...SparkPlugs.pdf (Read the Issue and the Solution)

http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/Spar...ook.html#lines (Read the Installation Tips)

Hope this helps explain it.

post #10 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 02:04 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Ehh. Agree to disagree. Always use anti-seize. Sparingly.

In-fact, I rarely use loc-tite.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #11 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
bad2dabone332

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Therein lies the problem....the Haynes repair manual is WRONG. Here's a few references from the major spark plug manufacturers regarding the use of anti-seize compound on NEW spark plugs. The silver coating on the plugs is the anti-seize. Reinstalling a USED spark plug would require a SMALL dab of anti-seize compound.

https://www.chryslerminivan.net/thre...ic-lube.10297/ (Read the NOTE)

https://www.ngkplugpro.ca/content/co...SparkPlugs.pdf (Read the Issue and the Solution)

http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/Spar...ook.html#lines (Read the Installation Tips)

Hope this helps explain it.
It does, thanks.

post #12 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
bad2dabone332

So do all spark plugs have that finish? I see some, such as AC Delco, that have a black finish.

post #13 of 14 Old 02-16-2020, 12:19 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

The black ones need anti-seize. The silver (nickel) coating is the anti-seize. That's why, if you take them out and then reinstall the same ones, you'll need to use a SMALL dab of anti-seize. Some of the nickel plating comes off during the first install.

post #14 of 14 Old 02-16-2020, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
bad2dabone332

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in