I think my headlight has a bad ground - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-07-2021, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
lacostadr

I think my headlight has a bad ground

3.7L 2008 JGC.

Passenger headlight does not come on at all. Pass blinker works but when I put the headlights on the pass blinker does NOT work. I feel there is a bad ground somewhere.

Does anyone have an idea where/how the headlamps are grounded?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-08-2021, 04:01 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Yep! Sounds like a ground problem. For ease, check the ground 103 (pictured below). If that doesn't show any obvious sign of problem, I would probably want to check the headlight connector... the one that is also pictured coming in from the bottom and clipping to the bottom of that hoop. You may be able to remove the airbox and get your hands on it, but the front bumper and lamp assembly may need to come off.
Attached Images

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #3 of 5 Old 04-11-2021, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
lacostadr

Thanks for the reply.

Would you happen to have a "map" of all of the grounds in the engine compartment?

post #4 of 5 Old 04-11-2021, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
lacostadr

Also forgot to mention a few things..........

I replaced both headlights for cosmetic reasons which came with brand new bulbs. All have been tested and are working properly.

I replaced the turn signal/headlights switch on the steering column just to rule that out.

Wanna hear something crazy??? There are no fuses for the headlamps. There is supposed to be a 40amp fuse for the headlamps then one mini 20amp fuse for each headlight none of which is there at all in the engine compartment. In fact...there is no place to plug a fuse in like......there's a fuse "opening" but no fuse socket to plug into.

I got a strange feeling the last owners did some boogy bull**** electrical voodoo on this thing and it might be more than just a bad ground.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-11-2021, 11:01 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Yeah, headlamps are controlled by computer (front control module). It uses the computer for circuit protection because the computer can shut the circuit off if there was a short circuit.

Ill work to get you a location of all of the grounds in the engine bay.

The fact your turn signal and headlights have issues and the issues interact with each other (turning the lamps on causes the turn signal issue). The only place your problem could be is in the ground circuit they both share. The wire from the lamp assembly to the pictured ground above is really the only place your problem can be.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in