I need to know all the "noise producers" in the WK - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-29-2020, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Th0r
2009 WK 

I need to know all the "noise producers" in the WK

2009 Jeep WK Limited.

I have an annoying occasional high pitched electrical squeal/whine. This has existed for as long as I've had the truck (used) and when everything was factory. Now, since I've gutted the entire factory system, I've found the entire audio system can be disconnected and it still persists. It's not a belt or a clutch. It's electrical. It starts loud and then fades away after 5-10 seconds. It may possibly be related to system load. The squeal will immediately cease if I turn the AC compressor off, however it will also occur when the A/C isn't running.

I have confirmed that it CAN NOT come from my audio speakers. I had the amps out of my truck as I'm making a new amp rack. I gathered up the speaker wires, non-factory wires that I ran and that have no contact with anything else in the truck between the amps and speakers, and put a cap on each set. While driving around today I got the squeal as usual, without a single thing hooked to my speakers.

I need to find the source of the noise so I can hopefully trace it. Anyone know where every single bell, chime, or alarm speaker in a WK is? Anything that can produce noise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-29-2020, 07:54 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
belt tensioner pulley bearings, or alternator bearings. (take the belt off, and crank it up, and see if the noise is still there) you said yourself it isn't electrical, as you had the noise with no speakers connected. get a stethoscope, or a 3 foot length of fuel line (new & clean) and hold one end to your ear, and use the open end to locate exactly where the noise comes from.

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #3 of 13 Old 06-29-2020, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Th0r
2009 WK 

Definitely not that. I already went down that road for the hell of it. 4 years, pulleys, alternator, and battery harness uograded. No luck. This is a shrill electrical screech that might as well turn my whole cabin into a speaker because I cannot pinpoint the source. I've driven around with a calibrated mic and an RTA app running I show a spike along 5000-8000hz @ just under 80db when it happens, but it doesn't last long enough to snif it out with the mic. I have hung the Mike above the rear seats and the readings are lower, so I know it's coming from up front somewhere. That's why I'm looking for chime speakers and such.

Also, it doesn't do it when the alternator is unplugged and I drive around my neighborhood with a jump box.

I also have a horrible ground loop issue in my sound system that I've been fighting for a year. It also disappears when my alternator is unplugged. I'm thinking it's related.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-30-2020, 07:55 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0r View Post
Also, it doesn't do it when the alternator is unplugged and I drive around my neighborhood with a jump box.

I also have a horrible ground loop issue in my sound system that I've been fighting for a year. It also disappears when my alternator is unplugged. I'm thinking it's related.
It sounds like you may just have a grounding issue in general. Try replacing the engine grounds and the main battery to body ground.

Do you have any aftermarket lighting in use when the vehicle is running? LED or HID headlights? Bad grounds on these can lead to electrical noise

There is a speaker somewhere under the dash for the door/headlight chime, that *should be* the only speaker other than your stereo

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #5 of 13 Old 06-30-2020, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Th0r
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray203m View Post
It sounds like you may just have a grounding issue in general. Try replacing the engine grounds and the main battery to body ground.

Do you have any aftermarket lighting in use when the vehicle is running? LED or HID headlights? Bad grounds on these can lead to electrical noise

There is a speaker somewhere under the dash for the door/headlight chime, that *should be* the only speaker other than your stereo
That's what I suspect. I first inspected all my grounding staps and they appeared to be good, and then later I replaced them all with 4 gauge wire. I haven't done anything with the battery harness. I suppose I could cut that apart and rebuild it. It looks ok though. Alternator also tests good with no spikes.

I have one light bar on a relay grounded to the neg battery cable. I've moved it to the factory firewall ground as well and removed all connections to rule it out. I didn't expect anything different though because I've had this problem every since I picked the Jeep up 4 years ago. It was bone stock at that time and I just dealt with it. It's just now that I've been setting up a high quality audio system, it's really started to annoy me.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-30-2020, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Th0r
2009 WK 

Do WK's have any form of ambient noise canceling system?
post #7 of 13 Old 06-30-2020, 01:37 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
2009 Jeep WK Limited.

i have an annoying occasional high pitched electrical squeal/whine. This has existed for as long as I've had the truck (used) and when everything was factory. Now, since I've gutted the entire factory system, I've found the entire audio system can be disconnected and it still persists. It's not a belt or a clutch. It's electrical. It starts loud and then fades away after 5-10 seconds. It may possibly be related to system load. The squeal will immediately cease if I turn the AC compressor off, however it will also occur when the A/C isn't running.

I have confirmed that it CAN NOT come from my audio speakers. I had the amps out of my truck as I'm making a new amp rack. I gathered up the speaker wires, non-factory wires that I ran and that have no contact with anything else in the truck between the amps and speakers, and put a cap on each set. While driving around today I got the squeal as usual, without a single thing hooked to my speakers.

I need to find the source of the noise so I can hopefully trace it. Anyone know where every single bell, chime, or alarm speaker in a WK is? Anything that can produce noise.
LOL, sounds to me like it might be the wife/girlfriend/significant other, or the wrong station on the radio.

Seriously, good suggestions above. Can you post an audio clip of it?

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-01-2020, 09:53 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

im no electrical expert but I think it could be the alternator. the reason why is you say the noise disappears when the alternator is un plugged. to me that would isolate a source. I cant find if you have replaced the alternator. if not find an electrical rebuild shop and have yours tested. they could then build you a good new one. don't buy one from the national auto parts chains. theirs are crap. good luck.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-02-2020, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Th0r
2009 WK 

The alternator had been replaced before when it failed. Replaced with OEM. Problem existed prior and remained after replacement.

I'm considering making a new battery ground cable and running it directly to the frame and grounding the rear case of the alt to the frame as well.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-02-2020, 10:16 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
I'm considering making a new battery ground cable and running it directly to the frame and grounding the rear case of the alt to the frame as well.
Definitely a good call. I think its 4ga factory? Pretty sure I replaced mine with 2ga

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #11 of 13 Old 07-02-2020, 11:42 AM
Raffish
2005 WK 

I just love the title of this thread...

Hope you find your issue bud..

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms
post #12 of 13 Old 07-02-2020, 12:40 PM
Sosasser
2008 WK 

Garage
I have a feeling it could be the ground wire on the alternator. I once had an issue with the ground wire from the alternator causing problems in my truck. The ground wire was running over the top of the alternator and actually touching and was causing interference with the ECU and the transmission was shifting funny. You might take a look at all the wires coming from the alternator and making sure they are routed cleanly, and are grounded good and not next to any other electrical stuff.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-02-2020, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Th0r
2009 WK 

Well, I ran a ground directly for my alternator to the frame. I ran I cable for my negative battery post to the same location. I also ran a new ground for my radio directly to the same point. that now means everything related to my audio system is grounded in two locations. The radio directly to the alternator and battery ground, and all my amplifiers to a ground tied into the frame in the back of my vehicle. Between these two points from the front to back in my vehicle the resistance is 0.2 on the meter. I don't think it can get much better than that. The wine was still present. So I ran the radio grounded back to the campgrounds. Still, it whined at me.

So I replaced the alternator. It's still whining at me.

All ground straps have been replaced with 2 gauge copper stranded wire with soldered, crimped and heat shrinked eyelets. I don't even know what the hell to try now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in