Howdy all..I'm looking to buy my first ever jeep and could use some advice. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 08-13-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
roofis

Howdy all..I'm looking to buy my first ever jeep and could use some advice.

Hello everyone. I hope I am in the right place.
I need a vehicle that can tow my tent trailer and boat. My wifes CRV is getting old and tired.

i want good gas mileage as I am in Montreal Canada and gas is expensive.

So I thought the Jeep Cherokee with the Turbo Diesel engine might be perfect.
There is on locally, a 2008 with 200,000km and very clean. Rustproofed every year, new battery, brakes, glow plugs last year.
The seller lowered the price 1000$ as the AC does not work. Its 5750$ final price.
Keep in mind, things are a bit more expensive in Canada.
It was used by a guy who drove Montreal to Quebec City so its all highway mileage. Never towed a thing,
I have owned nothing but Toyota's for the last 30 years.
I am very reluctant to buy something I am not familiar with.
I am terrified it will turn into a money pit.
I drove it today and its awesome. I'm in Montreal, and our roads are a disaster.
It feels like you can drive over a house.
I just feel more comfortable in a truck.
Is there anything specific to look for??
Things that need done or wear out at that mileage (Around 120,000 miles).
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-13-2019, 04:33 PM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

I’m not sure about things to look out for in a diesel, but I do wish I had held out for a diesel myself. The other thing I regret not holding out for is the Quadra drive 2 awd system.

That price does seem really good though. I paid $2500 in Dec for my 08 with 187k miles on it. I’ve since spent about $12k on it so I guess I’ll plan on dying in it and using it as my coffin.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-13-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
roofis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtbrjason View Post
Iím not sure about things to look out for in a diesel, but I do wish I had held out for a diesel myself. The other thing I regret not holding out for is the Quadra drive 2 awd system.

That price does seem really good though. I paid $2500 in Dec for my 08 with 187k miles on it. Iíve since spent about $12k on it so I guess Iíll plan on dying in it and using it as my coffin.
Wow...so was it really bad shape? Not maintained?
I love the idea of the jeep, but am on a very tight budget and don't want something that will cost a lot for maintenance every year.
Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 26 Old 08-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

It wasn’t in terrible shape and I certainly overdid it. Once I got started it became a might as well while I’m here and might as well while I have access.

Did full suspension front and rear. Inner out tie rods, all new brakes, new cooling system, plugs, wires, every sensor, fully painted the underside with por-15 then undercoat. Had parts sandblasted. Some interior replacement parts like clockspring, backup sensor display, turn signal switch, new wheels and 2 sets of tires. Catback and cold air intake. Probably a bunch I’m forgetting, but it added up and spiraled out of control quickly. I’m still needing a new driver seat cover and a tuner for it but it’s mostly done.

Edit:

Forgot I also did all fluids, differential and transmission mounts, a new fuel pump, had the injectors sent out for cleaning, both drive shafts replaces, axles and while the whole front end was apart I replaced all the bulbs which included 2 new HID bulbs, so that added up too.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-13-2019, 06:08 PM
JeepN_A_CJ7

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofis View Post
Hello everyone. I hope I am in the right place.
I need a vehicle that can tow my tent trailer and boat. My wifes CRV is getting old and tired.

i want good gas mileage as I am in Montreal Canada and gas is expensive.

So I thought the Jeep Cherokee with the Turbo Diesel engine might be perfect.
There is on locally, a 2008 with 200,000km and very clean. Rustproofed every year, new battery, brakes, glow plugs last year.
The seller lowered the price 1000$ as the AC does not work. Its 5750$ final price.
Keep in mind, things are a bit more expensive in Canada.
It was used by a guy who drove Montreal to Quebec City so its all highway mileage. Never towed a thing,
I have owned nothing but Toyota's for the last 30 years.
I am very reluctant to buy something I am not familiar with.
I am terrified it will turn into a money pit.
I drove it today and its awesome. I'm in Montreal, and our roads are a disaster.
It feels like you can drive over a house.
I just feel more comfortable in a truck.
Is there anything specific to look for??
Things that need done or wear out at that mileage (Around 120,000 miles).
Thanks in advance!
Sounds to me to be a good deal for the diesel WK, the a/c I'm sure could be an easy fix. Things to look for at that mileage would definitely be the front differential bushings and possibly the front drive shaft and the cv shaft boots for condition. I would definitely make sure EVERYTHING worked before pulling the trigger on it. Maybe look for codes too!

Always Jeepin!

*2007 WK QDII HEMI
*1980 CJ7 4.2L w/FAST FI

Silver WK Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 Old 08-13-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
roofis

Thanks guys...the slight problem is that its a bit far away so I can't bring it to my mechanic. Also, at this price its going to sell fast. I hate to buy something like this quickly, but I really like it.
It felt amazing to drive. Potholes are gone in this thing.
The only code he has seen and that is lighted is for the tire pressure indicator which I can live without, although I would like to get rid of the flashing light.
post #7 of 26 Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 PM
2wk

I'm in Toronto and bought a 2008 Hemi with 62,000 kms on it and so far Ive put 3,000 Canadian in it.
Changed front/rear diff. fluids
Changed the transfer case fluid.
Transmission + filter fluid.
Spark plugs.
New Muffler.
Brand new OEM brakes all around.
Replaced Manifold bolts on both sides.
Alignment+Balancing.
New Condenser as the A/c wasn't working.
Front bushings still to be replaced.

Now if you do the work yourself it should cost less however diesel is more expensive to fix.
post #8 of 26 Old 08-13-2019, 07:46 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
These CAN be money pits! coming from toyotas, you are in a whole new world diving into diesel Mercedes. This may be a perfect car for years to come, it may also throw the check engine lamp on you as you are driving home. Pay for a PRE purchase inspection at a shop nearby the owner, not the usual pre-post-purchase inspection after you get it home. Yes, it would be crappy to drive the huge trip with nothing to show for it, but it would be better than a huge hole in your driveway to dump money into to show for it! It may also be worth calling around to shops near you before making the purchase to ensure there is someone in your area that is comfortable working on them. It has been reported by some users that jeep shops avoid the Mercedes and Mercedes shops avoid the jeep.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #9 of 26 Old 08-14-2019, 08:04 AM
Zroe89

Specifically for the diesel the injectors and injector seals can become an issue at that age\mileage.

Pull the cover and the foam blocks off the top of the engine and look for a black tar substance.

Another thing to consider is the egr oil cooler seals. Hopefully they have been replaced already. A very cheap part that takes A LOT of labor to get to.

The starters and alternators are a pain on the diesel since the motor was not designed for this chassis. Hard to diagnose in a pre purchase inspection but something to be aware of before you buy so you don't get blind sided by it later.

I have very little in required maintenance in mine (mostly customization) after two years. I bought it with 120k and it is currently at 160k miles, still going strong and the favorite car in the fleet. Though the previous owner did do the oil cooler seals, and tune it for less exhaust restrictions

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
post #10 of 26 Old 08-14-2019, 08:14 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
I love the idea of the jeep, but am on a very tight budget and don't want something that will cost a lot for maintenance every year.
Thanks for the reply.
Stay with the Toyota brand. I have owned Jeep Grand Cherokees for 25 years - three different models from new. They are very expensive vehicles to maintain, repair, and use. I also own a Toyota and the Toyota cost much, much, much less to drive and own. With a 10 year old Jeep you will be looking at replacing many of the parts due to age and use. This will run you in the thousands of dollars.

(I still own two of the three Jeep Grand Cherokees - the 1999 and the 2005 and do not plan on selling them. I keep excellent records on repairs and maintenance. The 2005 with 98,000 original highway only miles has cost me $15,000 on repairs and maintenance since new and that includes three new sets of tires at $900/set, three transmission fluid changes, many differential and transfer case fluid changes, several brake changes, new engine heads due to a valve sealing issue, etc.)
post #11 of 26 Old 08-14-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
roofis

Thanks guys for all the replies. Seems like they can easily become money pits.
Too bad, the guy just got back to me and said he would take 5500$ if I took it this week.
I sure do like it....
But my wife is not a fan of me getting a new car and if it needs expensive repairs, she would kill me.
post #12 of 26 Old 08-14-2019, 09:47 AM
Raffish
2005 WK 

If you don't do most of your own work a 5000 lbs rig with 200K kms will cost you a fair bit of coin to keep running every year.

Most of the suspension will probably be toast as well as anything rubber (hoses, bushings etc.)

But if you DO do your own work there's a wealth of info here that will save you $$$$...

Good luck

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms
post #13 of 26 Old 08-14-2019, 09:56 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the replies. Seems like they can easily become money pits.
Too bad, the guy just got back to me and said he would take 5500$ if I took it this week.
I sure do like it....
But my wife is not a fan of me getting a new car and if it needs expensive repairs, she would kill me.
I would not call Jeeps Money pits. Rather, they are trucks with lots of moving parts that are very expensive operate if one keeps up with repairs, maintenance, and preemptive maintenance. I really enjoy my Jeep and plan on keeping it for quite a while.

These vehicles when used can be perceived as Money Pits if the Previous Owner did not keep up with maintenance, repairs, and preventive maintenance. Moreover, if the Previous Owner made repairs with non-oem parts those parts only last a few years before they need to be replaced again.
post #14 of 26 Old 08-14-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
roofis

Part of me still want to get it. I don't know why. I only drove it a few minutes in a parking lot.
There is actually a mechanic 5 minutes from my house that specializes in Jeeps. Unfortunately, he is closed for 2 weeks.
It does have 200000km, but it was all highway.
But, I guess the smart thing to do would be to pass.
I wish I had been able to take it out on the highway at 110km/hr to see how smooth and noisy it is.
My current car is a 2000 Lexus (Toyota) and its so smooth and quiet on the road, but terrible in city driving which is what I do 90% of the time.
post #15 of 26 Old 08-14-2019, 11:50 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

I'm primarily a Toyota guy as well, and if you're used to Toyotas and Hondas I would guess that more likely than not you'll end up annoyed with a Jeep. A WK can be a decent vehicle, and I'd only own one with a diesel engine, but you have to be able to do your own work unless you're lucky enough to live near a very competent independent Sprinter shop. The drivetrain itself is quite solid with a few quirks, but everything around it is not as robust. Myself and a friend both own 07 WK diesels that have recently gone over the 200k km mark and become constant sources of problems. Add in the east coast rust and I imagine it would be even worse. In the last ~30k km each we've had to do (on top of more scheduled maintenance):

- Front wheel bearings (both Jeeps)
- Fuel tank (one)
- Front upper and lower balljoints (both)
- Front CVs (one)
- Front and rear dampers (both)
- Front and rear springs (one)
- Front diff bushings (both)
- Glow plugs & controller (both)
- Serpentine belt (both)
- Idler pulleys (one)
- Brake pads/rotors/calipers/lines (one)
- Front sway bar bushings (both)
- Starter wire (one)
- Turbo actuator (one)
- Swirl motor (one)

On top of that electrical gremlins like the security system in mine deciding it didn't like any of the keys for a day, or yesterday when it refused to crank until I got mad and slammed the door (the one-touch start was still trying so that was a funny way to fire it up at least).

There is also a bit of turbo lag which gets annoying if you're trying to act quickly in heavy traffic (as you mentioned lots of city driving). If you do got for it the A/C is likely a damaged hardline where the wiring harness or intercooler bolt have rubbed through.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in