LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-22-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
How-to: Morimoto LED Fog Lights on a WK

With the recent completion of my quad retrofit here:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...oject-3396850/

I decided to tackle the fog lights. My drivers side fog light was hazing very badly and the passenger side was right behind it. Buying OEM replacements would be easy but with all this LED recently I thought I'd give it a shot. I also wanted to take photos so that anybody else could do this same mod.

My WK is a 2008. Here are some photos of the fog light loctions.

The WK doesn't have any good aftermarket fog lights that I have seen. So I knew right away I would need to modify a set made for another vehicle. My vehicle of choice, the wrangler.

The choice came down to JW Speaker or Morimoto. True JW Speaker 6145 lights are $300+ (Not the ebay copies, those can be found for sub $100 but I'm not sure about the quality) and Morimoto's are $170 or less if you have coupon codes or catch a sale. I bought mine for $153 shipped.

JW Speaker 6145 Fog Assembly (I do not have output shots):

Morimoto XB type Jeep assembly:

Output:

First remove your OEM fog assemblies using a T20 torx bit. There are 2 screws per assembly located behind the assemblies. Note: Don't forget to unplug the bulb.

Next remove the OEM adjuster and spring completely. Might as well toss them in the trash because we won't be using them anymore. Remove the OEM reflector from the bracket using a flat head screw driver. After that is complete you will need to cut/dremel off the adjuster tab seen below (again this will not be used anymore):

Remove LED unit from it's mounting bracket using a flathead screw driver. You will have a bracket like this one (bottom):

and a separate LED unit like this (OEM left, Morimoto right):

Hold/tape the Morimoto bracket inside the OEM bracket as level as you can possibly get. Then drill a hole straight through the top of both. You will be feeding a bolt through so they need to line up.
Note: Try to drill a hole so that the bolt head will not interfere with the adjustment of the LED unit.

Next feed the bolt through and use some washers as spacers to keep it centered. This will line it up center when you are completed.

Follow the same procedure you did for the top on both sides. Again make sure that it will not interfere with vertical adjustment.

You should now have something like this:

Thread on the nut and trim all excess bolts. They won't fit if you don't.

Next you will need to make provisions for vertical adjustment. Pop the LED unit back into the bracket and test for clearance. If you drilled holes in the correct spots you shouldn't have any issues. Flip the assembly over and locate the adjuster knob. You will need to trim the OEM bracket to allow screw driver access.

You will now have something like this:

Notice the 4 wrangler mounting tabs that stick out. Time to bust out the dremel again because those have to go. I tried to dremel them so that they lined up with the OEM bracket.

Repeat that whole process again on the 2nd assembly and you will have something like this:

Slide the assembled light back into the bumper and secure it using the same 2 torx screws.

The Morimoto requires you to make up the connection with provided terminals/connector. Simple really just make sure you have the polarity(+/-) correct.

Drill a hole in the bumper big enough for a screw driver to fit through. You will need to take your best guess here as to where the adjuster is.

Step back and enjoy the new look. Take photo's, turn them on and take more photo's. Note: Do not drive with them turned on yet since you haven't adjusted them.

Wait until it's dark and go aim them. This is the technique I used:
- Measure from the center of your lowbeam bulb to center of your new fog lights.
- Fire up your headlights
- Measure down from your low beam line
- Mark it somehow (tape works great, I propped up a measuring tape)
- Turn off your low beams and turn on the fog lights
- Climb under the Jeep and adjust

My Low Beams:

Adjusted the Fogs:

Both together:

CavallinoRed and gcjeepjames like this.

Check My Threads For These Builds:
WK LED Headlight Quad Retrofit
WK Morimoto LED Foglights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-22-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Some more photo's
Width on passenger side:

Width on driver side:

Just a cool shot. Phone picks up light in weird ways.

Put the bumper fascia back on.

If you have questions feel free to ask/comment here or pm. I'll be subscribed to this so I should see if someone posts.

Hopefully this helps if anyone decides to do something similar. If anyone tries this method with the JW speaker ones please let me know, I would love to confirm it for others.

post #3 of 18 Old 08-22-2016, 09:53 AM
ggt1_02

2009 WK 

Garage
Nice write up!

09 WK Limited 5.7L QDII | SRT Intake Tube | BT Catch Can | Hankook Dynapro ATM 255/60/18

post #4 of 18 Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 AM
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

nicely done! Great output with those!

Black WK Club #152
post #5 of 18 Old 08-22-2016, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggt1_02 View Post
Nice write up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
nicely done! Great output with those!
Thank you both! The output is fantastic. I drove with them at night in a parking lot and city streets. I turned them off upon getting on the highway. I'll probably end up using them more than I should because I think they look awesome.

post #6 of 18 Old 09-01-2016, 02:18 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Too bad they are a little small. Did you think about installing them inside the factory housing? Downside would be diminished output due to the second lens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-01-2016, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrassmid View Post
Too bad they are a little small. Did you think about installing them inside the factory housing? Downside would be diminished output due to the second lens.
I did think about it and opted out for that exact reason. I've been thinking about cutting out a circular "shroud" to cover the opening but that's as far as I've gotten, a thought.

post #8 of 18 Old 09-19-2016, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
I was out driving late the other night and wanted to capture the width of the fog lights. The jeep is on an incline so the beams look like they're aimed pretty high.

Here are my headlights:

Here are my fog lights only:

post #9 of 18 Old 09-19-2016, 06:14 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08zombie View Post
I was out driving late the other night and wanted to capture the width of the fog lights. The jeep is on an incline so the beams look like they're aimed pretty high.

Here are my headlights:

Here are my fog lights only:
Seems pretty decent. Want the fog lights to light low and up so its cuts through the fog. I want actual fog lights not "fog" light that are really just a short distance driving light like most vehicles have.
Yooshaw likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-15-2016, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Haven't updated in a while. The fog lights are still fantastic! A ton of widespread light where it is needed. I'll check this weekend to see how the nuts & bolts are holding up. I figured out why in the photo's above the fog's looked aimed so high. It's because the WK is upward but also because the headlights angle down more aggressively than the fogs.

I have not had an opportunity to find a nice white level wall in my area to take pictures but I took these a few weeks ago to show the difference in beams (Now the Jeep is angled downward on my driveway). They also show how well the color matches.

Fog Lights:

Headlights (if you look closely you can see the line of intensity between the beam nad the foreground):

Both:

post #11 of 18 Old 12-03-2016, 02:21 PM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Do you think the mini h1projectors would fit inside the stock fog housings?

post #12 of 18 Old 12-05-2016, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Do you think the mini h1projectors would fit inside the stock fog housings?
You may be better off with a set of Matchbox projectors in there. Here's a thread I found:
https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...light-retrofit

Looks like it required a little ingenuity to make it work though.

I have a set of ACME Standard H1 projectors. They're the equivalent of an old Mini H1 (I think around version 3.0 or 4.0). Got them for a good price and couldn't pass it up. I bought them just to mess around with & tune. They may be put into my other WK build or I may put them in my motorcycle.

These are the only 2 photos I took of dimensions yesterday:

Let me know if you want some more shots or specific dimensions.

post #13 of 18 Old 12-05-2016, 08:26 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Well dang, that seems like a lot more work that I have resources for; not just cash wise. I might try it anyways.

post #14 of 18 Old 12-05-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Well dang, that seems like a lot more work that I have resources for; not just cash wise. I might try it anyways.
I'd love to see it if you do get it done! A Mini H1 that low to the ground will maybe need a foreground limiter. You want the light right in front of the Jeep for fog use but you don't want it to start too close where the hood completely blocks.

I'm pretty sure I threw away my OEM fog buckets or I'd take a picture with the projector next to a bucket.

Here's the depth to the lens:

You'll definitely be cutting the lens open and cutting the back out. I've never cut a set of lights open so I can't give you any tips on how to reseal the front. Sealing the back up is another must do to keep moisture out.

post #15 of 18 Old 12-07-2016, 07:16 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08zombie View Post
You may be better off with a set of Matchbox projectors in there. Here's a thread I found:
https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...light-retrofit

Looks like it required a little ingenuity to make it work though.

I have a set of ACME Standard H1 projectors. They're the equivalent of an old Mini H1 (I think around version 3.0 or 4.0). Got them for a good price and couldn't pass it up. I bought them just to mess around with & tune. They may be put into my other WK build or I may put them in my motorcycle.

These are the only 2 photos I took of dimensions yesterday:

Let me know if you want some more shots or specific dimensions.
I signed up, but cant message the guy to see if he still has those plates he made. I might be able to get something similar made at work.

Tags
fog light , jeep , led , retrofit , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in