How To: Install An O2 Sensor Non Fouler to Eliminate a Check Engine Light with Pics - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-01-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Garage
How To: Install An O2 Sensor Non Fouler to Eliminate a Check Engine Light with Pics

Hey guys so I went thru a headache for 3 weeks trying to get this CEL off and found out how to get rid of it. If you replaced your Cats or Deleted your cats, This will fix your issue and Hopefully for forever.

Project Description
Eliminating a check engine light cause by removing your 2nd cat or both cats

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Any
Model: Any
Year: Any
Engine: Any
Power windows: Any
Sun Roof: Any

Tool Needed
Drill, Ĺ Drill Bit, Wrenches and O2 sensor socket OR 7/8' Box Wrench

Project Time

1 hour or less

Project Cost

$12.00 or less.

Available at your local auto parts store. Spark Plug Non Fouler PN 42009

You now need to drill out 1 of the non foulers using a 1/2" drill bit. When finished this is what it will look like.

Side by Side comparision of the orignal and now modified non foulers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-01-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Garage
O2 Sensor inserted in the modified non fouler

Second, unmodified non fouler now installed on modified non fouler

Original non fouler->Modified non fouler->O2 sensor

Fully installed

The idea behind it is when you remove the cat the 2nd O2 sensor is going to have too much air reaching the sensor that isnt filtered out, which will make the computer think the cat has gone bad. What this does is it moves the O2 sensor further away so only a limited amount of exhaust gets to the O2 sensor, it is a VERY little ammount that actually gets to the sensor but as long as it is considerably less than the primary O2 sensor then it will not cause a CEL or Check Engine Light.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Tekn0logy
2006 WK 

Nifty trick, but maybe you might want to word your post; "For testing/troubleshooting purposes only" FYI: http://www2.epa.gov/enforcement/air-enforcement#mobile
BTW; wouldn't the non-fouler cause the O2 sensor to take a long time to reach operating temp causing reduced mileage? Also, wouldn't removing the cat cause loss of back pressure causing loss of performance?

post #4 of 8 Old 06-01-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekn0logy View Post
Nifty trick, but maybe you might want to word your post; "For testing/troubleshooting purposes only" FYI: http://www2.epa.gov/enforcement/air-enforcement#mobile
BTW; wouldn't the non-fouler cause the O2 sensor to take a long time to reach operating temp causing reduced mileage? Also, wouldn't removing the cat cause loss of back pressure causing loss of performance?
Now I dont know why I would put as for testing or troubleshooting. I did this and it worked, so Not sure why I would change it.

I didnt remove my Cats, I installed Magnaflows 99204 I believe and was still Throwing a CEL. So I thought it was the NTK o2 Sensors I bought, so I went with MOpars, and they still threw code. SO after weeks of hassling and trying to figure it out, I found this and did it, and It worked flawless.

The problem was the new cats were like high flow, so the o2 sensors behind the cats were getting too much gases and not enough fresh air, so they were telling the PCM I have bad cats.

So by doing this mod, All you really are doing is pushing the o2 sensor a little further away than its original spot, giving it less gases n a llil more fresh air.

They also heat up fine, and the REAR o2 AKA Downstream o2 sensors all they do is tell your PCM if you have bad cats or not. The UPStream o2 Sensors are the one that do the Air/Fuel Ratio
post #5 of 8 Old 06-01-2015, 02:51 PM
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekn0logy View Post
The rearward o2 sensor is there to ensure proper Cat function. It does not effect whether your are in open or closed loop, or the air/fuel ratio in any way. This is a nice alternative to deleting the secondary 02's. Probably wont pass visual inspection if you have one in your state.

Black WK Club #152
post #6 of 8 Old 04-11-2017, 10:50 PM
jmc254

This is something I am looking into doing this weekend, but my 2009 Jeep grand Cherokee has four 02 sensors and two catalytic converters. Do I install this trick on all four 02 sensors or only on the sensors after each catalytic converter ?
thank you.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-12-2017, 12:33 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

This only works on downstream O2 sensors. You can get longer non-foulers so you don't have to stack or modify them.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #8 of 8 Old 04-12-2017, 09:35 PM
Hemicuda61

What error codes did you have previously that this nifty non fouler trick managed to cancel out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in