How do you measure8 for replacement swaybar links? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-20-2021, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Vertisce21

How do you measure8 for replacement swaybar links?

I am looking to replace my swaybar links because they are kind of needed at this point and I realize that they may be part of my problem with my front lift.

The lift I have is a Supreme Suspensions 3.5" front and 2"rear set. The front is a clevis fork lift while the rear is a puck lift. The front still sags really far down for what it should and I want to correct that. At the moment I am waiting on delivery of my JBA UCA's and I have all the bushings to replace in the LCA and sway bar as well as the end links. I plan to do all this work before taking the sway bar links off and seeing where I am sitting on them. I really just want to make sure they aren't pulling down too hard or anything. From what I can tell, BWoody seems to be the only way to go for this as well.

So how do I measure what length of swaybar link I need? Both front and rear. Does the swaybar have to be resting at a certain angle before measurement? Should I even be worried about this?

EDIT: Looks like this won't matter for a while anyway. I just got up under my Jeep to check them and found something I never noticed before. The passenger side bolt that connects the swaybar into the LCA was completely snapped off! Swaybar on that side wasn't even connected. Bolt head was still stuck in the swaybar though and when I got it out and compared it up against where it snapped, it was sitting about a full inch out of the LCA. After I extracted what was left of the bolt from the LCA, I found that the entire inside threading was stripped out. As I have never touched these bolts because I simply disconnected the swaybar links from the swaybar itself when I did the lift, I can only assume this was done before I purchased the vehicle. Can't believe I never even noticed it! So...now I need to buy a new set of LCA's after just purchasing all new MOOG bushings for my existing ones.

Last edited by Vertisce21; 10-20-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-20-2021, 09:20 AM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
With the vehicle weight on the suspension (jeep on ground or on ramps, not jacked up), hold the sway bar in place with a jack stand or something so the ends are parallel with the ground and measure between the sway bar end and the attaching point on the suspension.

Caveat emptor: BWoody links are garbage. The ends are welded on square, not slightly angled to match the suspension for WK. This results in preload stress on the bushings and the grease fittings being worthless because the grease just squirts out the side instead of around the bushing because of the preload. Also, the powder coating they use fails in < 1 year before it flakes off and they rust. If I were doing it again today, I don't know who I would use, but it certainly wouldn't be BWoody. JBA used to do a set but they gave up on everything except control arms. I think JKS had a set for JK that can be made usable.

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #3 of 3 Old 10-20-2021, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Vertisce21

What do you mean by "parallel" exactly? On the WK, the front swaybar is curved in a weird way up front.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in