How cold with 5 glow plugs? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-22-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
SteveROntario

How cold with 5 glow plugs?

I replaced 5 of the 6 glow plugs last night. The rear driver side glow plug was a real squeaker and wouldn't come out after unthreading it from the head. I eventually snapped the end of it off and drilled down through the centre for about 2" of it but it won't pop out. Put about 4 hours on the Jeep today with driving at 80/85 MPH and it won't shoot out.
It seems that it may be staying in the engine for a while...how cold will it reliably start with just 5 and not plugging it in? I'll probably need to get one of those slide hammer kits where you thread the inside of the glow plug to yank it out but it's pretty much winter already.
Cheers, Steve

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-23-2019, 12:35 AM
terrasmak
2007 WK 

A bit late now, but I had a couple plugs do that. Once unthreaded I put the socket on a drill and spun it at high speed and slowly pulled it out. Was hot as hell, but removed. Once out, I had to clear the hole before I could get a new plug in.

The $40 amazon kit will fit your needs, that's what I used on my broken plug

"Racing makes Heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." -- Peter Egan
post #3 of 9 Old 11-23-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
SteveROntario

We must think the same way, I tried using an impact driver to spin the glow plug but the hex on the glow plug wore out before it loosened up, I should have snapped off the electrical stud earlier in the process so that I could have access to the hex.

Do you know the size of the tap they use to thread the inside of the glow plug? I drilled mine out with 7/32" so I need to know if I made the whole too big for the tool.

It looks like the wiring harness to the top of the engine is held on by the turbo for cylinder #6 so I am totally screwed for access using that tool.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W

post #4 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 02:31 AM
terrasmak
2007 WK 

1/4-28 tap, just buy one and a maybe 3 inch long bolt to hook a slide hammer to.

Wire harness is not held in by the turbo , but parts are bolted to it.

"Racing makes Heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." -- Peter Egan
post #5 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
SteveROntario

Thank you for verifying the thread pitch, I bought some 1/4-28 x 4" bolts so I can weld them together to extend the reach as required. I should be all fixed up by the end of the week or I will have to order the kit. It's weird to be in Toronto for the weekend and have to order the kit online if I want to buy it.

post #6 of 9 Old 11-26-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
SteveROntario

1/4-28 ended up being a bit too big but I got it with a some Garret boost:

post #7 of 9 Old 11-27-2019, 11:33 AM
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

Good job!

I ordered new glow plugs for a new to me 330,000km 08 that i have no idea of the service history on, it takes a few more cranks to start then mine.

I am hopeful that they all come out nicely...

Are you still in Toronto? come help

2 2008.5 WK CRD's, 2005 WK Limited 5.7
post #8 of 9 Old 11-27-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
SteveROntario

I will be in the Yonge/Steeles area again this weekend. I could read codes for you if you don't have a Blue Driver. That would be a good start. A leaking fuel filter will cause the fuel to flow back to the tank when shut down which slows down the start-up so that is worth looking at. Probably worth throwing some fuel conditioner in to it too.
You may as well order the removal kit now but #6 is a PITA, that kit may require more space than what is available. When I was at the Canadian Tire getting the 1/4" extensions I was annoyed to see that they were all locked up. There were about 6 cabinets with alphabetical combination locks and I noticed a pattern on them, "FARTH", "FOATH", etc. so I deduced that the combination was "FORTH" and proceeded to open the cabinet. Well, they had security on me pretty quick...

post #9 of 9 Old 11-27-2019, 10:09 PM
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveROntario View Post
I will be in the Yonge/Steeles area again this weekend. I could read codes for you if you don't have a Blue Driver. That would be a good start. A leaking fuel filter will cause the fuel to flow back to the tank when shut down which slows down the start-up so that is worth looking at. Probably worth throwing some fuel conditioner in to it too.
You may as well order the removal kit now but #6 is a PITA, that kit may require more space than what is available. When I was at the Canadian Tire getting the 1/4" extensions I was annoyed to see that they were all locked up. There were about 6 cabinets with alphabetical combination locks and I noticed a pattern on them, "FARTH", "FOATH", etc. so I deduced that the combination was "FORTH" and proceeded to open the cabinet. Well, they had security on me pretty quick...

I am fine, thanks. i am actually a retired mechanic working an office desk job and work part time doing maintenance on my bosses collection of classic/antique cars. i have kept all my tools and still add to them.

the 2 jeeps are the only diesels i work on these days but i will still buy the tool just in case.

When i was fixing the mess i made of mine i pulled the injectors and glow plugs because i was there anyways, and they all came out with no fuss and looked great so i just reinstalled them. yes with new copper washers and bolts.

Glad you got yours sorted.

2 2008.5 WK CRD's, 2005 WK Limited 5.7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in